Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • insect bite on calf – balloon ankle…..
  • iainc

go a bit on my calf on Wed night – midge or something (deffo not a tick). So yesterday getting sore, red, hot so went to NHS drop in centre and got some antibiotics. I’ve only had 4 tabs so far, but up this morning to see that ankle area a few inches below bite is pretty swollen and a bit tender. MTFU obviously and wait for meds to kick in properly….but, will it get worse if I go for a road ride for a few hrs – I am imagining that pedalling action might sort of spin more blood into the area maybe making it worse ??

Thanks

showerman
    Free Member

it will not be long befor someone comes on and tells you to cut your leg off below the knee as quick as possible and you should see the swelling go down very quickly 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

sounds like a horse fly bite, it will get better, just not pleasant. I have had 5 or 6 on one ride, deeply unpleasant but just went out next day nothing you can do except wait.

thejesmonddingo

I had one of these a couple of years ago and didn’t stop riding,the infection spread up my leg,and I ended up on IV antibiotics.I’d rest it for a couple of days until the swelling is definitely going down.
    Ian

iainc

hmmmm. Think I’ll wait till the afternoon and see if swelling goes down a bit then, thanks

johnners
    Free Member

Wear something supportive on the lower leg (like an elastic bandage or a longish walking sock) to help prevent fluid building up and you should be OK. I occasionally react very badly to insect bites, the worst was multiple bites from Blandford Fly on both lower legs, I could apply pressure on the affected area and leave a half-inch deep impression. That took days to clear up.

Euro
    Free Member

Had a few like that a few years back. Worst one was on the right side of my face. Looked like Wallace. My mum reckoned I suited a bit of weight on my face. Cheeky bitch.

Never worked out what exactly caused them (a few mates had similar reactions). But we all got bit in a particular section of forest. Generally took a few weeks to settle down (without medication) but didn’t get worse with cycling. Blatter on, i’d say.

b1galus
    Free Member

take an antihistamine like piriton or clarytin(sp) i damn near lost my leg due to a bite that i never even felt

iainc

thanks all. b1galus – yes, took a couple yesterday. It is calming down a bit now but gonna leave the ride for today methinks.

scaredypants

singlespeeder’s legs syndrome ?

iainc

OMFG – that is hideous 😡

gooner69

STOP, REST and RECOVER. Let the antibiotics do their stuff, then be prepared for a few weeks to steadily get back to speed. Its serious stuff called cellulitis. Just had a bout that knocked me sideways.

Bunnyhop

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/horsefly-bites

Last month the same happened to me. It took well over a week for the heat and swelling to go down. Am left with 2 small scars now from the bites.

iainc

bunnyhop – yeah, I reckon horsefly as well.

stayed off the bike today, ankle still puffy, but over 24hrs of antibiotics in me now so hoping to see an improvement in the morning. no fever or other symptoms (yet) so here’s hoping – got a big riding weekend next weekend…..

project
    Free Member

When you next go in tesco,s or Sainsburys cafe , take a few of the sachets of vinegar and keep in your pack when you get bitten pour the contents over the bite, it takes the pain away.

Also handy if you forget to ask for vinegar on your chips at the takeaway.

iainc

good tip project 😛

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘insect bite on calf – balloon ankle…..’ is closed to new replies.