insanely bright rear lights

Home Forum Bike Forum insanely bright rear lights

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • insanely bright rear lights
  • Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

A guy I work with has an insanely bright rear light(I think it is a Hope one), the only thing I’d say is that because its so bright you try to avoid looking at it, its almost like a car fog light. What I’m trying to get at is that it might not be the best idea to partially blind a driver who is trying to get past you.

Moon Shield 60. One on flashing, one on constant.
    Any brighter is unnecessary in town.

muddyfunster

neilnevill

and swap the led pills over, giving me a white t6 torch, and a red luxeon k2 tail lamp.

Is it as easy as that or have I missed something?

Just out of curiosity I tried something similar by bodging a lezyne femto lens on to an exposure diablo. I’m not familair with the light you have posted but the diablo is a measured 900 lumens, so plenty bright.

With the extra red lens on it it didn’t appear meaningfully brighter than the exposure red eye I had beside it. Now, obviously it’s not exactly the same because the diablo effectively had two lenses, but still. Considering it’s such a powerful light to begin with I was disappointed with the results and would just buy a red-eye tbh.

YoKaiser What I’m trying to get at is that it might not be the best idea to partially blind a driver who is trying to get past you.

Well you can’t talk about blinding drivers in a positive way but I think you have to consider drivers coming from behind from a distance away. Something like a hope district will allow drivers to be aware of your presence from a good distance back. I’ve been driving myself and not seen cyclists till I was almost on top of them. given the choice I’d rather be an irritating, but visible nuisance than an invisible corpse.

A really bright light is good IMO. You point them down and they create a nice pool of light behind you. Also they are good in daylight when it is just a bit dull.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

To be honest he on-one phart lights are more than bright enough.

It might be different in a well lit city but anything brighter on a back road will be very distracting for following drivers.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

A pal has has as much grief for having an over-bright rear light as for anything else on a bike. Bright enough is bright enough.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

the only thing I’d say is that because its so bright you try to avoid looking at it, its almost like a car fog light. What I’m trying to get at is that it might not be the best idea to partially blind a driver who is trying to get past you.

Absolutely right, unless

You point them down and they create a nice pool of light behind you. Also they are good in daylight when it is just a bit dull.

wear a reflective coat and shine a light on yourself (IMO)

rewski

can be distracting for other riders too, and taxi drivers aren’t blind, they’re aiming for you.

Exposure flash/flare combo here, bright enough for my London commute.

simondbarnes

Hope District here. Have had other cyclists and motorists comment on how bright it is (in a positive way). Wouldn’t be without it now for commuting through the dark months.

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

I’ve just ordered a Knog Blinder Road R – looks like it’ll fit the bill – it’s got a 70 lumens rating and some of the review videos on YouTube suggest it’ll do the trick. I’ll report back…

Sum

To be honest he on-one phart lights are more than bright enough.

+1. Much cheaper than the RSP and electron lights that they’re copy too.

Aristotle

I bought a Smart Lunar R2 Rear Light from Planet X, with its 2 x 0.5W LEDs.

It’s very, very good. I especially like the ‘random’ flash feature.

richpips

Moon Shield 60. One on flashing, one on constant.

+1 🙂

Premier Icon slowboydickie
    Subscriber

Just acquired a Exposure FlareR but haven’t used it yet, tomorrow is the inaugural ride.

ron jeremy

I use the PDW DangerZone plenty bright enough with a random flashing feature to get drivers attention

carlos

Aristotle – Member

Same here 🙂

TooTall

Torches are not much good for ‘being seen’ lights as they don’t have the sideways light spill that is designed in to bike lights. You want as much all-round visibility of you as possible.

neilnevill

I’m thinking of getting myself an insanely bright rear light for commute use. Here in London you need to stand out…too many of the taxi drivers are blind.

I am thinking of perhaps one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-T6-LED-Front-Lamp-Bike-Light-Bicycle-Lamp-Set-1200LM-6-Colors-Optional-/290971650966?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item43bf430b96

but then modified by removing the bar mount from the base, adding a piece of angled bracketry that I can reattach the bar mount to, such that the light can then be mounted to the seat post, sticking out behind it.

to make it red, I thought Id get one of these
    http://www.fasttech.com/product/1082000-ultrafire-wf-501b-philips-luxeon-k2-red-led-flashl

and swap the led pills over, giving me a white t6 torch, and a red luxeon k2 tail lamp.

Is it as easy as that or have I missed something?

Oh and I know the battery and charger with the head/tail lamp will probably be poo. I’ll sort out decent 16850 cells myself, and use the charger I have already.

All round viz = The Holy Hand Grenade of Cateye.

Need to sort a bracket for the Brompton to get mine back on.

neilnevill

Having seen a few this last week that must be hope districts or similar, that is the effect I’m after. yes it could be annoying if you angle it up, so don’t. What I think I’ve noticed though is those lights are so bright the bike doesn’t look like a bike until the driver is past you, it looks like a motor cycle. My perception is that motorcycles get more room, perhaps the poor drivers know motor cycles need space, or perhaps they just think they are big enough to do nasty damage to their cars and don’t think pedal cycles would. whatever the reason, the sod off, fog light bright rear lights are something I am considering.

muddyfunster, what you dewcribe sounds differnt. I’m thiking of changing the emitter to a ~200/250 lumen red led, sounds like you put a red filter/lens over a white led?

BTW, I currently run 3 of these (one on me, one solid on the bike, one flashing on the bike)

this is ‘good enough’ to be seen quite easily, but you still look like a bike.

what’s the experience of the lyzne femto? I thik I’ve seen a couple of these this week and noticed they wer small and brighter than the smart superflash.

neilnevill

hmm, lezyne micro drive looks pretty neat too.

muddyfunster

muddyfunster, what you dewcribe sounds differnt. I’m thiking of changing the emitter to a ~200/250 lumen red led, sounds like you put a red filter/lens over a white led?

Yes, you’re right. That’s exactly what I did. I guess I mis-read your first post. BTW I have a little Lezyne Femto. Nice wee light. Simple and good light off it.

I’d probably pay the extra and go for the micro-drive though. It’s usb rechargeable and seriously bright.

BenjiM

I have lezyne zacto drive. Great little light and can charge via usb at work or home. Really rather joll bright. Temporarily blinded everyone in the office when I first switched it on!

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

this is ‘good enough’ to be seen quite easily, but you still look like a bike.

You want a big lens to pass for a bigger vehicle, like the size of old everready lights. That way you don’t look like something a long way away (worse with front LEDs that are super-bright and worse again if they’re flashing)

robbieh

I have 2 Phart lights on the back of my helmet as well as one on the bike

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

On my seatpost:
    Phaart Bleep Dual 0.5 Watt On constant.
    Phaart Red Mist on “chase” mode

On my noggin:
    Phart strap on, on flash mode.

Would you believe OO have their lights on discount at the minute, or you could pay more for the almost identical smart branded versions.

Bright lights just dazzle other road users its as bad as a motorist leaving their high beams or fog lights on in clear conditions and just gives them another excuse for hitting you or swearing as they pass.

Quantity and positioning of lights is the key thing IMO, a constant light gives a better fixed reference for them to gauge distances a complimentary flasher can draw a bit of attention and a red LED on the back of your lid, being that bit higher has a better chance of being spotted from a distance or over other vehicles and road furniture…

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

White LED’s are producing a lot of blueish light and a fluorescent coating is reacting to make white. Putting a red filter on that is making it very inefficient. Might be why it wasn’t as bright as you hoped.

Better to use a red LED – they’ve been around for ages.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Fibre Flare. Not blinding bright but impossible for drivers to ignore.

bigrich

i got an exposure red eye slaved to a six-pack. people see me coming and going.

TurnerGuy

exposure flare, fibre flare, the grenade, or anything else that has some side visibility as well. And use more than one, both flashing or one flashing and one constant.

bullheart

PDW DangerZone for me.

Crazy bright light! Flashes to the beat of Take On Me by Aha!

stumpy01

That pdw dangerzone looks the same as the lunar r2.

Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

Tip for the cheap LED rears – rechargeable Ni-MH AAA’s keep their voltage in cold weather so that your light stays bright. Alkaline’s can fade very quickly when temperatures fall.

But bright lights won’t stop the haters from following or passing too closely.

Jamie

+1

trail_rat

got 2 red eyes – one on helmet one on bike and a smart lunar 1 watt on rack (same generic lights that the PDW is) pointing back. – mostly for the short stretch coming into the village where folks think its acceptable to do 100 mph – they certainly slow down …. that might be the high vis vest though thinking im the copshop.

Deveron53

I’ve got a 15w rear LED from the same stable as Magicshine. I get compliments from drivers while riding in countryside areas but I don’t know about in town – might get deliberately run over!

DanW

C&B Seen do a 500 Lumen rear light if you really want to be daft.

I thought I had suddenly become amazingly quick on a group ride as no-one was even close behind me on the descents…. then I relaised the real reason for this 😀 I don’t use it very much now due to the bulk mainly

Bright lights just dazzle other road users its as bad as a motorist leaving their high beams

+1 on this. Dazzling other drivers with either front or back lights does no one any favours. I used to come across someone running a stupidly bright rear light pointing upwards fairly regularly. My vision would take about 20 seconds to come back after passing him. Not safe. A lot of the ‘really bright’ lights look like they have crap brackets as well – you need something that lets you adjust the angle properly.

Blackburn Mars 4 my choice at the moment. Even that needs careful angling not to dazzle.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

+1 on this. Dazzling other drivers with either front or back lights does no one any favours.

+2. They’re completely counter-productive. It’s also extremely distracting for any other cyclists following you.

IME, most LED lights are bright enough to be seen.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Fibre Flare. Not blinding bright but impossible for drivers to ignore.

+1 – you can mount two of them, one down each seat stay. Not overly bright but very obvious and eye-catching especially on flash. Good side-on visibility too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘insanely bright rear lights’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top