Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Insane endurance events
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So, there’s stuff like 24 hour mtb racing, and then there’s stuff like Iron Man. Iron man impresses me. People talk about having done an Iron Man.

This guy at work hasn’t simply done an Iron Man – he does Iron Mans, regularly. It’s just an enjoyable day out for him.

He’s thinking of jacking it in next year and doing ultramarathon, he might try Marathon des Sables.. wow, I’m really impressed now.

However then he proceeds to tell me about his crazy mates (now I’m wondering what it takes to make this man think you’re crazy). They do this thing called Deca-Iron Man. That’s right, TEN IRON MANS back to back…

But it gets worse. Every other year they aggregate the legs, so you do ten swims, ten bikes and ten runs. So that’s a 38km swim, 1,800km bike ride and 422km run!

You’d think it’d not be possible to make this any more insane, but this is the icing on the cake. It’s done in a 50m pool and a 1.2km track!

😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You’d think it’d not be possible to make this any more insane, but this is the icing on the cake. It’s done in a 50m pool and a 1.2km track!

an impressive feat of endurance but sounds dull as…. Which is perfect for the triathletes…

piemonster

The mind struggles to think of anything more boring than a 38km swim

Well….there’s always a 39km swim.

molgrips
    Free Member

760 lengths…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is it sponsored by the CIA?

piemonster

Lengths…. **** …… Lengths

Indoors, Jesus wept, Im having dark thoughts just thinking about that level of boredom.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know – it’d staggering but conceivable if it were out in the countryside or something, like say.. swimming the channel, then cycling lejog.. then RUNNING back from JoG to Edinburgh…..

But indoors – that’s just…. 😯

richpips
    Free Member

http://3100.srichinmoyraces.org/main-3100

3100 miles in 52 days. Round a street circuit in NY.

phil40
    Free Member

I have done a couple of ironman races, they are enjoyable in their own way, you just get into a zone and keep going. I have a mate who I did my first ironman race with, he did the deca ironman (10 in 10 days) a couple of years ago……I can’t even begin to imagine how he did it! I couldn’t really walk the day after mine, the idea of going out and doing it all again is just a little unreal!

Suffice to say he is taking a bit of a break from triathlons at the moment.

kudos100
    Free Member

Has anyone attempted to drown themselves, due to the unbearable dullness of swimming that far in a pool?

piemonster

Almost certainly

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s funny what people go for. My colleague the serial (but not consecutive) Iron Man thought a 24hr Solo MTB would be too boring, and didn’t fancy the TDR either.

He seemed keen on the Norseman tri though, as I would be if I thought I could finish it.

finbar
    Free Member

If you can’t go fast, go long…

richpips
    Free Member

Then there’s the Barkley. A mere 100 miles.

Out of 1000 entrants only 14 have finished it.

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently the aggregate legs are worse.. apparently a 1,100 mile bike ride isn’t very good for your arse.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Here’s Bob Brown from Cornwalls story of his deca man – note it took 2 years for him to recover. He later went on to win the run across America

http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~clfs12/Tony_ego_site_Dec_2005/Sport/deca_blogs/bob_brown_deca_1997.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For mad endurance look up run geordie run, he ran across Australia last year in summer.

Stainypants

I was riding frozen cheeky trails in Goyt very early on Sat am. There an 160 mile ultra marathon. They were running 55 2.9 mile laps from the cat and fiddle to the top of shining tor and back. I can’t think of anything more tedious.

piemonster

Yeh whatever, Bear Grills is on the telly now……….

jonba
    Free Member

My sister manages a couple of Iron(wo)man events each year (13h ish) and is currently training for the Marathon des Sables in 2015. She’s still keeping up the triathalon though, doing an Ironman as well so I still can’t bring myself to go on a bike ride with her.

meadowedge
    Free Member

I’ve a friend who’s just finished this!

http://www.thehillultra.com/

55 loops of Shining Tor in the peak district. 160 miles running in a 48hr time limit. The ascent is roughly base camp to Everest summit….. Twice!

Stainypants

I watched them doing it and chatted to a few of them non of them appeared to be enjoying it, mind you they just run through the night and must have been -6C up there as it was -3C in macc when I got up. how many finished I heard only one person finished last year.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yet theres so much chat here about 24hr mtb events; just as dull. CX which involves lap after lap. Cycling was also home of the 6 day track event remember.

A challenge isn’t boring if it means something to you.

piemonster

Yet theres so much chat here about 24hr mtb events; just as dull.

Yep, they do sound boring

CX which involves lap after lap.

No interest, but also sound boring. I’d like to add fell racing to that. Travelling for 2-6hrs for a 60min run, doesn’t compute.

Cycling was also home of the 6 day track event remember.

God that sounds awful

A challenge isn’t boring if it means something to you.

Absolutely. I have no objection to folk spending 24hrs going round an athletics track if they so wish. Do what you do if you like it. Just don’t expect me to join you, or to be silent about what I think of it. And please feel free to express disinterest in my interests.

Now for a real test of endurance, try reading the Scottish Independence threads. All of them.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just don’t expect me to join you, or to be silent about what I think of it.

Or, you know, you could just ignore it if you don’t care 😉

Friend of mine does cross country marathon runs. One of his last ones was trail running in the Italian Alps, sounded fairly epic with about 4000m of vertical gain.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I don’t mind people testing themselves against standards in these very boring ways, as long as they don’t go on about them in the typical middle-aged bloke who has just taken up marathons/tris style.

There do seem to be sports which are about skill, some which are about risk and thrills, and some which are just about looking in the mirror of your own pain and boredom. I’ll stick to the first two.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And please feel free to express disinterest in my interests.

Thats the point isn’t it ….

There is nothing more boring than someones elses pastimes.

And

There’s always someone better at your pastime than you.

To prove my point please read the below

Here was me, just getting into Ultra’s have signed up for a 40 miler (for my 40th year) and there are others out there doing double ascents of Everest.

See …. boring for you and inspiring/envious for me

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve a friend who’s just finished this!

http://www.thehillultra.com/

55 loops of Shining Tor in the peak district. 160 miles running in a 48hr time limit. The ascent is roughly base camp to Everest summit….. Twice!

This came up in conversation with a mate a couple of weeks ago. He knows the organiser and said he could get me a late entry. Had to explain I’d already earmarked that weekend for rearranging the sock drawer.
    Mate organises this –
    http://www.centurionrunning.com/piece-of-string-2014/

piemonster

@Atlaz

Thing is, I am interested. It’s an impressive feat and the mental determination required that I find interesting. I wouldn’t even open the thread if there was no interest.

Actually doing it, that’s the boring bit.

@Rosey

I find it beneficial to only run with people slower than myself. In my head I’m a legend. 😀

stever
    Free Member

A guy in our village has been 2nd and 3rd in the deca ironman thing. I fell off my chair when I heard the run was laps of a bleeding car park.

Mind you I was thinking the other day about doing 10,000′ of climbing on my local hill (without ever getting more than a mile from home). Which I guess just goes to prove Ro5ey’s point.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I get fed up of ‘endurance mate top trumps’. Everybody knows someone who’s doing some stupid endurance event.
    No idea why they think you would be interested in hearing about how big a nob some bloke has got that you dont know and never will.
    And usually their ‘mate’ is someone that is a regular on a forum that they also go on. Who is probably not even doing the events.
    Infact, I’m not convinced that these events even happen. Sure they’re just invented for internet boasting…

stever
    Free Member

@mrjmt Well I’m a Bot so have no feelings either way. I’m pretty sure you are too – what Service Pack are you on?

D0NK

Yep, they do sound boring

riding your bike. For twenty four hours. A full day riding trails! how can that be a bad thing?

try reading the Scottish Independence threads.

pervet!

mogrim

I’d like to do the Marathon des Sables, but it’s stupidly expensive and would require serious negotiations with the wife – can’t see it happening without a lottery win 🙁 So I’ll be sticking to more local ultras, fortunately there are quite a few round here.

But sod doing 760 lengths of a 50m pool, that’s completely insane!

aracer
    Free Member

The longest race I’ve done is 5 days continuous – have done numerous races 3 days or longer. That’s continuous in the sense that the clock doesn’t stop when you sleep. Though I’m not sure if they qualify for this thread given they were a single loop through the mountains and wilderness (actually we did do some loops more than once on the 5 day race, but those were 6-12 hour loops), hence generally quite interesting. Is the reason behind my forum name.

http://www.sleepmonsters.com

carbonfiend
    Free Member

My old man was an ultra runner in the early 80’s culminating in 24 hour races two of which took place in a park in Chorley Lancashire the loop was was about 3 miles long. The reason why they do ultra’s like this is such a confined space is it’s easier for marshalling & controls/timing.

Joss Naylor prob greatest endurance racer ever IMHO http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Naylor

djtom
    Free Member

Another vote here for adventure racing, particularly of the expedition, multi-day kind. Although the distances are fairly big (total of ~600km for a typical exped race), they’re great as they tend to be a linear journey, and you feel like you are making progress through it.

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to swim endless laps of a pool or run laps of a car park!

aracer – we probably know each other, as the AR scene in the UK is pretty small!

steve-g
    Free Member

I have been dreaming for years of having the time to get into adventure racing…..one day

piemonster

Adventure racing appeals

I like the idea of a journey

although tbh id drop the racing bit and just go for an adventure

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Insane endurance events’ is closed to new replies.