Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • ins and outs of operating a Ltd Company when overseas….
  • alpin
    Free Member

yo…. after another hefty tax bill for 2013 i’m considering what my options are.

i’m in Germany and am essentially a freelancer. i earn enough that that i slip into paying a higher rate of tax, but not enough that if i did have kids that they would be going to private schools. 😉

does anybody have or know about having a Ltd company in the UK that is operated from abroad?

i do not remember ever having to pay so much to the taxman in the UK as i do here in Germany. when operating as a Ltd Co. are you taxed at UK rates, but the monies go to the country in which you operate?

as i understand it, i would need a UK address. this isn’t a problem.
    and am i correct in thinking that i would pay NI contributions and still be eligible for health treatment ouside of the UK? if so that would be a massive PLUS for me.

any info would be appreciated…. cheers.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You will still be liable for tax in Germany, as it is where you live and work.

Edit: Here you go – http://www.contractoruk.com/documents/CUK_Contracting_Abroad_Pay_Local_Tax.pdf

wwaswas

sounds like tax avoidance in Germany, at best, evasion at worst – are they hot on these sorts of things?

Sui
    Free Member

you will have to pay German taxes. There are reciprocal agreements in place when it comes to tax anyway (another matter), but for our German part of the business we must pay the German taxes.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m aware that i will still have to pay tax. just wondered whether there were any benefits to setting up a Ltd Co. in the UK.

i have little problem with tax avoidance. much like many of those in power. except i have few powers other than wheelies and endos.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

just wondered whether there were any benefits to setting up a Ltd Co. in the UK.

No.

Sandwich

sounds like tax avoidance in Germany, at best, evasion at worst – are they hot on these sorts of things?

I believe the advice is don’t piss off the finanzamt, they are not nice when they are angry.

br
    Free Member

i’m aware that i will still have to pay tax. just wondered whether there were any benefits to setting up a Ltd Co. in the UK.

Compared to what?

From what I remember of tax in Germany it’s high unless you’ve deductions, which are generous – so kids, mortgages, pensions etc.

If you’re single etc then it’ll be expensive, but it would also be if you were PAYE (equivalent).

Also really depends on where you ‘earn’ your money and where you live, if it’s Germany – then you’re paying German taxes (see above).

Stu_N

Don’t do it. You’ll end up in a mess. You’ll probably be personally liable to tax in Germany anyway (I doubt they have anything as generous as IR35), plus the UK company you set up (“LtdCo”) will also have a “permanent establishment” there (“PE”) if you’re working for it in Germany it’s probably not got any UK payroll tax/ NI to pay but LtdCo will have German tax to pay on it’s profits from Germany. Follow me so far? Good.

You might not have UK corporate tax for LtdCo if you make the right elections with HMRC but to get money out you’d need to remit it from the German PE to UK head office (simples, relatively), then pay yourself a dividend. That’s probably taxable on you in Germany as well. Some of the tax will be offsettable against other tax but not all of it and if you ever wind things up you’ll have even more fun and games.

have I put you off yet?

alpin
    Free Member

Thanks Stu.

Yes, I’m in Munich which has one of the highest business taxes in Germany. Fortunately I’ve managed to stay just below the threshold for the past five years.

And yes, taxes are higher here than in the UK. The GF’s net was around 59% of her gross wage.

Sui
    Free Member

The GF’s net was around 59% of her gross wage.

that’s better than the UK once you factor in NI.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ is it really!?

Cousin in the UK is on a similar wage and sees over 70% of her gross.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ins and outs of operating a Ltd Company when overseas….’ is closed to new replies.