Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Inov8 iRoc – Wall of death
  • topangarider
    Free Member

I’ve foolishly entered the iRoc one drunken night with a mate. Just been checking the website for updates on the MTB route – this is described as the ‘Wall of Death’!!!!

http://www.iroc-race.com/Images/Gallery/24-02-009/Large/Matt_Death-(web).jpg

Discuss!

Has anyone off here entered out of interest?

antigee

no but it could be interesting if their web page designer wasn’t a goth
    i read as much as i could – if there is an alternative universe aliens will enter

and here is a link that works – warning not normal sight safe

http://www.iroc-race.com/race-format.asp

topangarider
    Free Member

Thoughts on the the ‘Wall’?

matt_outandabout

‘The wall of death’ is on the first few seconds of the that video.

Looks like my 7 year old would ride it.

Wall of slight incline by the looks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

shouldn’t that be called “the slope of mediocre”

just watched that video, is it all on fire roads?

crouch_potato
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the name is at least slightly tongue in cheek. Cheers for the post topangarider, looks like a good format for the event, I may well enter now I know about it.

MattBrown3
    Free Member

The photo is deceptive. The ‘Wall of Death’ is a lot steeper than it looks on the images and certainly a lot steeper than it looks in the video of Heather!

I had trouble getting up with a 28 front, 27 rear and a racing ralph on the back. I kept losing traction and couldn’t spin up due to not having a low gear.

Apparently it was named the ‘wall of death’ by lafarge (site owners) after using as an off road 4×4 track.

As for the course, it will be a mixture of fire/gravel roads roads and singletrack through the forest.

ShaneOhly
    Free Member

With less than three weeks to go before first iROC™ Adventure Race Weekend the event is approaching 80% capacity and any competitors who haven’t already entered are being urged to get there entries in ASAP!

Full details of this exciting inov-8 sponsored iROC™ event, on the 18th and 19th April, are available here: http://www.iROC-Race.com

If you would like a bit more detail about the concept behind the event, let me explain…

We wanted to organise a series of different races across different disciplines that include fell running, mountain biking and orienteering. Each individual races is being designed as though it were a standalone race; the idea being that if you turned up and competed in just one race, you’d be impressed with the format, organisation and experience of that race – to be honest, I expect most competitors will want to do all 6 races though!

What really makes iROC™ an adventure race is the close succession of each of these 6 individual races. Of course, the different skills sets required for each discipline mean that only a true all-rounder will be capable of wining outright. This new adventure racing format will be challenging and action packed for the competitors but also very visual for spectators as each of the races starts, loops though and finished at the event centre.

Finally, to make the event fun and sociable there will be a late bar on both the Friday and Saturday night and some live music on the Saturday evening. We really want each competitor to have a great time out on the hill and a great time catching up with their friends afterwards.

—-

In the last few weeks there has been lots of exciting developments taking place at the race venue as well prepare for the event. Last weekend a team of volunteers prepared 1.8km of brand new MTB single track! We have also taken delivery of 10km of reflective barrier tape that will be used for marking the course; for the night races this will make for a visual spectacular for the competitors, especially the night fell race.

On the fell racing front, the weekend kicks of with a hilly, 8 mile fell race. The race route covers a contrasting mix of the former quarry site (think: tough running up and down grassed over slag heaps) and some truly beautiful fell that is part of the North Pennine Special Protection Area, a SSSI and An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It’s pretty awesome running and has taken a lot of effort to get the necessary permissions.

If you have any questions about the event please email info@iroc-race.com or phone 01388 744900.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Shane Ohly
    iROC Race Director

http://www.iroc-race.com
    18/19th April 2009
    1 weekend – 3 Disciplines – 6 Races – 3 At Night – Don’t Miss it!

mikey74
    Free Member

Looking at that video, the wall of death doesn’t seem that steep, but it is long enough and steep enough to get up to a hell of a speed coming down and I imagine after you’ve had a lot of riders going down it, the road at the bottom will become very slippery. I guess that may be why they call it the Wall of Death

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Inov8 iRoc – Wall of death’ is closed to new replies.