Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Innerleithen Day/Night Enduro
  • mactheknife

First Enduro event entered, been looking at doing a few this year.

So who else is in and how gnarly are the courses generally.

Ta 🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

The level of ‘gnar’ depends upon your riding skill 😆

Is there anything at Inners that you can’t ride? They usually use one of the std dh runs and cut something new, loamy and rooty.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I’ve done 2 day/night enduros at Inners. PROTIP: put your light on your helmet, not on yours bars. Doing technical switchbacks at race-pace is a bit tricky when you turn into a pitch black void!

Some of the trails can be fairly technical but they’re all doable on a trail bike, just consider your lines when doing the day run.

Take some food with you too, you’ll be doing a hell of a lot of climbing over the day so make sure you don’t bonk!

It’s great fun though, definitely the best blend of price/trails/difficulty/amount of riding of any enduro event I’ve done in the UK.

mactheknife

Excellent, cheers for that, never done any of the DH runs at Inners. Just the red a few times but im pretty sure ill be good for the course.

Seriously looking forward to it now 🙂

Also signed up for the Glentress King of the hill.

legend
    Free Member

mactheknife – Member
    Excellent, cheers for that, never done any of the DH runs at Inners. Just the red a few times but im pretty sure ill be good for the course.

you’re in for a eye opening experience then matey 😉

mactheknife

legend, i dont doubt it for a minute 😀

Northwind

I’m signed up for the three, should be great… Hoping to claim my traditional place of more or less exactly in the middle :mrgreen:

New people speccing the courses this year with Steve Deas stepping down but I reckon they’ll follow in the tradition (ie, a stage made out of downhill trails, and a stage made out of mud, roots, darkness and tears) There’s new tracks appearing but I don’t know what’ll be used for the events.

I love ’em, it’s really interesting riding, and pretty challenging… I’m a normal kind of rider, not fast or excellent but pretty solid, and these days I’ll get down them clean (used to be a lot of dabbing!) but fast is a bit harder to come by 😉 Not at all trailcentre stuff.

If you’re reasonably local, might as well go and try ’em! The downhill trails are mostly great on a trailbike (lately I’ve done them more on my ragley than my downhill bike).

And… Well, the established offmap trails are various shades of secret I think, I’m not sure if it’s OK to post them here but if you want to drop me an email I can give you a wee guide to the ones I know. Or, you could just go up to the top of the downhill trails, ride past matador, and follow the tracks…

mactheknife

Northwind, thanks for the reply, ill drop you an email tomorrow if that’s cool. I’m from Dundee so will probably head down a few weekends beforehand just to get more of a feel for the trails down at inners.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking at doing one of the Inners Enduros, the thing is I am looking at coming up from Kent so it is no small undertaking…

The day night appeals but I am curious how long the stages are likely to be… my guess is probably around 3 minutes each… will I be able to ride them several times prior to race runs?

I would then have a few beers… I assume people drift off to a local pub somewhere to celebrate surviving…

With a run of the red on Sunday prior to driving home.

Is it likely to be worth the drive etc…

legend
    Free Member

A little longer than that usually. Last results are here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/73233397/Full-Beam-Day-Night-Innerleithen-Enduro-Results

Mbnut
    Free Member

Cheers for that… what about the beer… do people just go home, would like to have some social aspect to it….

Just costed it…

Train £130… this is to Edinburgh, guess i’d have to ride from there…

Van £180… perhaps with 3 people it might work….

Diane
    Free Member

The team running it usually go to The Traquair arms Sunday evening. Saturday usually sees some folk in the same pub – could be a few could be many but there should be something going on. There’s a Facebook page – Innerleithen MTB Racing – you could drum up some interest on there?

Diane
    Free Member

Oh and if you come in from Edinburgh e mail Hels – she can usually put you in touch with someone coming over

Northwind

I could probably do you a lift down, but I tend not to hang around at the end

martinxyz
    Free Member

Don’t look at that result sheet and think that 20-30 mins of racing looks easy. You will be on the go quite a bit. It might seem that you have quite a bit of time to spare between race start times but it passes very quickly.

I raced that day/night and had 4 hours sleep before driving down from Inverness, never drank enough through the day and should have kept eating throughout the day a little better. It would have helped a bit..but nowhere near enough to help me in the nightriding down unknown trails of Innerleithen dept! I didn’t have a clue where I was going and get very confused in the dark on new trails. To the point where I’d be better off walking!

Northwind

Aye, using previous ones as an example we did basically 3 and a half times the height of plora rig- 2 full top-to-bottom descents and 2 slightly shorter ones. Getting back up kills me :mrgreen: Unless you’re an honest-to-god beast, don’t expect to be doing lots of practice runs!

Put it a different way- I broke my hand in the 3rd stage of the first day/night, but the next day it was my legs that hurt the most. But then I’m not that fit.

hels
    Free Member

Not wanting to pre-empt somebody else’s press release – but there is a social event planned the saturday before Innerduro rd 1, a pub quiz night fundraiser type thing I think – full details when we have them ! I’ve always thought that would work well so pleased somebody is on to it now ! If it works well I guess same for the day/night, and I will even be able to go once we have packed up the race – hurrah.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies and suggestions… I am having a good think and will have a scout round on my local forum to see if anyone else fancies it… it’ll come down to finances at the end of the day… due a new bike this year so gotta decide where the cash is gonna go.

Quiz/beer sounds good though and just might swing it!!

cakeeater
    Free Member

Anyone here taken part previously having not done practice runs? I can only make it to the first event but will struggle to be there on the Saturday as well as the Sunday.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yeah,I would agree on being a beast to be able to get up there over and over for practice runs! To do this the day before and still be strong for hoping to do well in the racing with full concentration you’d have to be pretty freekin fit!

rugbydick

Cake Eater: I did the ones last year “blind” due to time constraints.

As with any trail, you’ll be faster if you’ve had a chance to look at it before your race run; but if you’re a half decent rider, you’ll still get down anything in a half decent time…

Northwind

cake eater – Member

Anyone here taken part previously having not done practice runs? I can only make it to the first event but will struggle to be there on the Saturday as well as the Sunday.

I didn’t get any practice for day 1 of the 2-day Classic… It made a huge difference to times but didn’t cause me any real bother getting down- I blew up early on a pedally one frinstance, and couldn’t plan ahead on one of the fireroad crossings so had to ditch all my speed to figure out where to go, that was bloomin annoying. Obviously I’m not in it to win it (I’m barely in at all!) but I was chasing a mate and it made all the difference over the weekend.

Really hard to say though as it depends so much on the rider, we did a couple of the trails as a mixed group a while back, with Raddogair on an XC bike with the saddle stuck at full height, and Bigdugsbaws’ mate on a rigid 29er, and most got on OK 😉

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

This years Day/Night will be 1 fairly long stage and one medium length. 1 practice lap and 2 race laps will be fine

mactheknife

Nearly a week to go now…..getting excited 🙂

Northwind

Any rumours on trails? Old favourites or new terrors?

Need to actually ride a bike in the dark at some point, haven’t done a night ride since the night dh race.

mactheknife

Did a ride up Dumyat on Wed testing my new luminator from Mtbbatteries, was an absolute blast.

On a sidenote that light has the brightness of a thousand suns 🙂

br
    Free Member

PROTIP: put your light on your helmet, not on yours bars.

No, put at least one on your bars and one on your helmet.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No, put at least one on your bars and one on your helmet beg borrow or steal as many lights as you can, make like a nuclear powered Christmas tree.

Fixed that for you 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Innerleithen Day/Night Enduro’ is closed to new replies.