Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Inner tube valves keep getting torn off
  • fangin
    Free Member

A question for the hive mind…

I have a perplexing recurrent problem with my inner tube on my rear wheel – the tyre slowly slips on the the rim and the valve keeps being torn off. I have lost count of the number of tubes I’ve gone through. It seems to be the braking forces are cause the tyre slippage.

First thought was that the tyre had ‘stretched’. Swapped tyres front and back, same thing happened. Replaced both tyres, but same thing happens with the new tyres.

The rims have been going for ages and this problem is a new thing. Has this happened to anyone else? Did you find the cause, or even better, a solution?

scaredypants

best solution* is new tyres – they’re slipping round under braking and taking the tube with them

next best is talc on the tube

*… actually, that’s tubeless 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep never had a tubeless valve do that 🙂

fangin
    Free Member

tubeless – now there is a way to simplify the faff with tyres…

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is the hole in the rim too large ?
    Has it worn ?

Is it a presta one in a shraeder hole?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Seen this a couple of times. Even had it with a brand new tyre. Talc the tube and tyre. Problem solved.

Potdog
    Free Member

Too low pressures? Thus allowing the tyre to slip on the rim.

fangin
    Free Member

schrader valves – and these look okay to me. Slowly the valve starts to list over at a jaunty angle until it tears. I watch for it now, but it is annoying to have to fully deflate the tyre mid-ride and wrestle it back into position.

Could be that both sets of tyres are faulty I guess, or perhaps I’ve ended up with a bit of chain lube on the inside of the rim.

scotroutes

I’d go with that as, at the very least, a contributory cause.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

In fact, if anybody here did the Grassington MTB marathon in 2009 / 2010, it was me repairing a flat at the very start of the very first off road section up Mastyles Lane. Due to this very issue. I rode the rest of the marathon on 65psi in rear tyre and no back braking. Wouldn’t recommend it. Get sone talc. Smells nice too!

fangin
    Free Member

potdog – now there is a good thought. I’ll try going a bit higher than I usually do.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t brake

brakes
    Free Member

superglue the tyre to the rim

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve had this a few times over the years – usually on single speeds with big tyres, low pressures and worn (ie polished) beads.

A combo of talc, cleaning the beads (meths or degreaser), and the last resort of higher pressures usually sorted it. Sometimes the bead is just too worn and polished though and just struggles to grip the rim, which means new tyres.

All tubeless now 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

Are the tubes all from the same batch? I had a succession of tubes fail at the valve join which stopped as soon as I switched to a new order of the same tubes.

vincienup
    Free Member

I had this until I got my first track pump and on it my first pressure gauge.

Turned out I’d been massively underinflating forever.

I wouldn’t normally go much under 30psi with tubes..

vincienup
    Free Member

And yep, finally a purpose for aligning tyre logo over valve. I could easily see the tyre was not sitting in place and moving round the rim a little when I’d been having trouble.

mcnultycop

New tyres, clean the rim, beef up the tape. Happened to me.

Waderider
    Free Member

Velox rim tape helps with this. Plastic rim tape can exacerbate it. Grippier rim tape stops the tube rotating with the tyre. Higher pressures work also.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Over tightening of the lock nut !!

MrNice
    Free Member

unlikely with Schrader valves

bigyinn
    Free Member

As others have said, talc, clean the beads on the tyre. Also, clean the inner face of the rim and lightly sand the inner bead lip on the rim, so its slightly roughened and the tyre should grip it better once inflated.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Schrader adapter and presta valve if worse comes to worse

bigyinn
    Free Member

How will that help? It’ll just mean you have torn out presta valves instead.

knottie8
    Free Member

plenty of talc on the tube to allow the tyre to slip but not drag the tube …

Matt_SS_xc

I had the same issue, tried all usual….got so annoyed I replaced the rim, problem solved. Never did work out why it happened…

captain-slow
    Free Member

Had this a few years back and tried talc, different rim tape, gluing bead to rim with rubber cement. Final straw was when I went through about five tubes on one ride. Changed tyres for new ones of different make and never had the problem again.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Had this with Presta valves – switched to Schrader, never a problem. Two others found the same. It may just be co-incidence, or a bad batch of Presta tubes. If talcing, the point is to keep the tube stationary on the rim, and let the tyre move if it must, so don’t talc the tube, just the inside of the tyre, keeping talc off the bead.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Inner tube valves keep getting torn off’ is closed to new replies.