Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Inner-tube patches. How many is too many?
  • alexpalacefan

Changed tyres today, my bike has 19 patches on the tubes.

Anyone beat that?

APF

njee20
    Free Member

Too many? One for me!

endurogangster
    Free Member

2 I think, surely at 19 it’s more patch than tube!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glen815
    Free Member

Tubes – how quaint. I seem to remember my dad telling me about them. 🙂

alexpalacefan

Thought about tubeless, but I like to swap tyres about.

Did it today, took about 5 min 🙂

APF

Junkyard
    Free Member

only throw them when the valves go tbh – think a roadie one is at about 10

I dont get why people bin them when it has a puncture tbh

gears_suck
    Free Member

I remember when when we used to cast our tubes out of pig iron and forge them onto our wooden wheels. Oh, those were the days.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Counted 12 on one tube yesterday, shortly afterwards I passed some poor sod with a tubeless tyre full of blue gunk trying to get it sorted. Poor bugger’s probably still there now….

sturmey
    Free Member

for me its not about how many patches on my tube but how many repairs from 1 patch my mate laughs when I get the scissors out

alexpalacefan

12, the record so far.

Any more?

Alex

garage-dweller

When i rode with tubes regularly a dozen patches was pretty common. Thats only six snakebites. I could manage that in a day with 1.9″ conti cross country tyres (remember them?).

The last tube i binned had split along a seam (road bike). Took the other tyre off and that was going the same way.

Tubeless doesnt have these issues. Bloody horrid when they split or hole too much for the sealant and lately every tyre i have had has ripped long before wearing out.

daleftw
    Free Member

What patches is everyone using?

If I fix a puncture with Park patches, it’s only good until the next time it deflates when I’ll have to replace it AND fix the new puncture. PITA/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I once had 13 on one tube, but I dunno how many, if any, were on the other one.
    I regularly cut patches in half if need be too, I’ve even made my own patches (with some success) using bits of old tube, giving one side a good scrub, applying a bit of rubber solution & letting it dry then covering the glue with some tin foil, then using the same way as a normal patch.

I’m so tight I should’ve been a Yorkshireman. 😛
    What patches is everyone using?

Any with a feather edge. (which my home made ones aren’t)

alexpalacefan

I use feather edge ones I get from Rose Bikes.

Do you really make your own EG? Why? Sounds like a PITA to me.

APF

garage-dweller

I like weldtite – they are british after all but in reality the kit i have is whatever is in the lbs/halfords when i need a new kit. I carry scabs or similar for in the field and in a hurry use.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Think of all the added weight, in the worst possible place too: unsprung weight which is also rotating weight which is also near the circumference. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do you really make your own EG? Why? Sounds like a PITA to me.

Tried a batch once & they did work. Not as good as feather edge jobs. Bit of ‘job satisfaction’ in making your own though!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bit of ‘job satisfaction’ in making your own though!

that was probably just the fumes 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Reema Tip Top are my faves at the moment, or Halfords ones also. As long as they’re feather edge its fine.
    And yes I’ve also hacked the XL patches to make two smaller patches too!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Any old type separate feather edge patch and glue will do.

How many repairs is too many? Not so much the number of repairs but once they start to overlap is when I retire the tube.

danielgroves
    Free Member

It’s not too many until you can have patches on your patches on your patches.

I have a tube around somewhere with 5/6 patches on the same spot. It’s a weird lumpy shape now. It still hold air so I still use it though. When the valve breaks or I can’t patches it anymore, thats when it has too many.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Inner-tube patches. How many is too many?’ is closed to new replies.