Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • inner chain rings
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

whats a good long lasting inner ring?

Shimano one was rubbbish, my TA one has lasted well but just wondering if theres any just as good cheaper ones. What are raceface, middleburn, blackspire etc like?

cheers

ken_shields
    Free Member

Middleburn hardcote rings last for ages as do Tune Ti rings. Of course shimano steel are not too bad for the price

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I always use Shimano ones. People sell them off for peanuts and 99p for an inner steel ring ain't bad! I've had full sets for £17 before. OK, they don't last that long, but at that price it's not an issue, and Shimano rings always shift the bestest! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tinsy
    Free Member

PP an inner for 99p? where? deore steel granny was £8 or so last I bought one..

OP Deore steel granny is what I buy..

uplink
    Free Member
    Doug
    Free Member

Blackspire Chuck Stainless Steel grannies last years as long as you keep on top of your chainwear.

EDIT : There's an echo in here.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP an inner for 99p? where? deore steel granny was £8 or so last I bought one..

Ebay. STW classifides. Nobody wants them, except me 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Well I do!! I did save a pound on my last one, but took 10 mins with a dremel removing the tabs inside the bolt holes as it was for octalink not ht2..

will do more research when I wear this one out..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I went through a phase of snapping new unused chainrings up whenever I saw them. IIRC I bought 2-3 full sets of MTB rings and 1 pair of road rings, all for no more than £25 a set, all Shimano. With the current price rises this has paid off well. I have a draw full of rings to use… 🙂
    I bought 2 36t middles just before the prices went up too, fitted one to the Pitch with a bashring which liberated the 32 & 44t it came with. I've just fitted them on my Inbred.
    I've done a lot of this stuff for the last few years and I can't remember the last time I paid good money for a cassette or chainring, just the odd chain.
    Best bargain was a £5 wheel I picked up. It had a bent rim, but a Deore hub, cassette and disc fitted. The hub I built into a decent wheel with the spokes and rim I already had, the cassette took a new chain (it looked nearly unused) and at the same time I fitted the 2 Pitch chainrings and a nearly new X7 mech (Classifides)
    Working it out, I got a good, well rebuilt, back wheel, a brand new chain, 'new' middle and big rings, 'new' cassette, and 'new' rear mech for a total layout of just under £45. 🙂

You just gotta keep your eyes peeled….. And be a bit lucky. 😉

It does look like the prices are rising, but there's the odd cheap one about still

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimoan-Deore-SG-X-M9-S-22-22-tooth-chain-ring_W0QQitemZ280417961955QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item414a3687e3

EDIT
    I'm running out of chainrings now though. I think I have one more well used middle and outer that might do a few miles, and that's it… 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but took 10 mins with a dremel removing the tabs inside the bolt holes as it was for octalink not ht2..

I've never had to do this…… 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

it wasnt my finest purchase, I did wonder why it was £1 less than the other Deore ring listed. great at 8.30pm the night before a race. 😕

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Slight hijack – I've got a couple of steel Shimano inner chainrings that are still available if anyone wants them.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-clearout-updated-cheap-and-some-free-stuff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘inner chain rings’ is closed to new replies.