Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 731 total)
  • Inktober
  • zilog6128

@twirlip: thanks!! That platinum is cheaper, too 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

zilog, have a look at dip pen nibs and holder? Still inexpensive, still great, reliable and expressive

[video]https://youtu.be/bBqP97CoG0s[/video]

As for the water colour paints I normally stick to the liquid tubes as I have not had any luck using pans. Maybe it’s just more practice that is required.

Jon I use both ready-filled pans and tubes. I squeeze the tubes into pans. Worth splashing out on artist quality paints (I too use Windsor and Newton watercolours) as that was a huge leap for me, they just work better in every way. Even if you just stock up with a limited palette of say three primaries and an earth tone Then stick at developing techniques.

PS maybe youtube Tim Wilmot, I find his slow methodology easier to follow.

jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks for that reply. Good to hear that other people have had careers (for want of a better word) in the creative industries as random and circuitous as my own.

I’ve never ever been interested in trying landscapes because of the camera really. I’ve always enjoyed landscape photography, and I’m always looking for a certain type of sparse or non traditional landscape but so far no interest in painting them, however having moved back to the country after 18 or so years in the city I’ve been more and more curious to find some way of exploiting some of the skills I have to somehow portray the landscape around me (part of that is probably down to the camera not actually cutting it).

Interesting stuff.

zilog6128

Thanks, will check that out!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.

That it is, would like to hear more of peoples creative experiences/journey. It’s great reading.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thank you for sharing that. Fascinating stuff.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Talk to me about paper, I’ve entered the land of colour.

my 140 gsm cartridge paper ain’t cutting it for these pens, the paper gets very wet, very quickly and warps, I can handle the warping, but it crumbles the paper very quickly too, which is most annoying, i’d like to use these fairly heavily and mixing and blend colours..

Am i just better getting some heavy duty water colour paper? I don’t really want to start stretching paper on a board for scribbles.

This is my first attempt with them.

We’ll call this 20 as it’s a first. (and for no other reason just to keep me on track! 😆 )

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^

140gsm is fairly thin paper for wet work. I make my own blocks from 300gsm watercolour sheets by binding/edging with Copydex. The top sheet dries flat and then gets removed to begin anew on the next.

Maybe try a decent sketchbook (it may cockle a little, but so what for sketches) I find Seawhite sketchbooks to be useful and I go at them with knife, pigment, water etc.

or else some ready-made blocks?

Jacksons have a sale on these

^ not sure if these are smooth or rough though?

*edit – they’re smooth, just watched the video 😳

seosamh77
    Free Member

Not sure if rough or smooth is better tbh, don’t really have much experience to go by, never really considered the actually media as such and always just used what’s available. Used to wet the paper, stretch and tape for water colour in school, but that’s a flaff when I just want to scribble, mind you would probably do that if I ever do anything beyond scribbles.

tbh I think it is just a case of buying decent quality heavy 300gsm paper.

cheeers, I’ll probably just experiment and see what’s what, rough v smooth is an interesting thought actually.

very vibrant these colours, so I’ll probably need somethign that can handle alot of water/use of the blending pen.

seosamh77
    Free Member

might just need a wee bit of patience as well not to break the paper with these, gonny take a fair wee bit of experimenting to tame them anyhow.. Or just stay vibrant. Might get some water colours too, actually wonder if I’ve got any kicking about.

should probably stop using the black too.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

tbh I think it is just a case of buying decent quality heavy 300gsm paper

it’ll take more water and other punishment, but just know that it will still cockle unless held flat when drying, either by tape, grips or in a glued block.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool.

seosamh77
    Free Member

no sure if these pens where a good idea! 😆 I should probably make use of youtube!

seosamh77
    Free Member

gets a lot more interesting when you start splashing water all over the shop. This is still rubbish, but aye defo need more robust paper. And a fair bit of time invested in these.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m never going to finish thus, or if I do I will quickly ruin it so posting anyway.

was supposed to be this guy

Yagy? Retsud? from Lone Wolf and Cub – the leader of the shadow clan.

seosamh77
    Free Member

like that! 🙂 keep at it your drawing is better than the photo!

jimjam
    Free Member

Nope…ruined it 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

Like a pissed off pirate Moses. Oh well 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 don’t worry, I’m toiling as well!

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Trying to work on faces, drawn the guy from peaky blinders to many times tonight, thought he had a nice recognisable face/look – turns out not so much lol.

Happier with my Apple

TwirlipoftheMists

+1 (or 100) for dip pens! Trickier to take out and about but not impossible. I have one in my desk draw at work. I may take it out for a walk next week as it’s been languishing there, unloved, for a fair while.

Last night’s effort.

Wife and child have left me temporarily on my tod so I’m off to enjoy the storm on my road bike. When I get back I have an afternoon of drawing planned. Bliss!

jimjam
    Free Member

Gah! That’s awesome. I love your style. Reminds me of someone but I just can’t remember the name.

I need to do something decent.

Edit: Arthur Ranson maybe?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

inkredible twirlip. Top class inking and even more exquisitely conceived. Hope you are hashtagging these somewhere, inktober needs to see them 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Getting a bit more controlled, think you basically think of these things as watercolours more than pens tbh.

Now I just need to do the important bit and come up with something decent to draw! 😆

Aye, superb again twirl, you making a story with the viking boat and monsters? you should, great theme going on with those.

jimjam
    Free Member

think you basically think of these things as watercolours more than pens tbh.

What are you using there?

My prompt for today is Dark Souls. Know nothing about it but looks cool.

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.cassart.co.uk/drawing/pens_1/brush_pens/ecoline_brush_pen_assorted_colours_set_of_20.htm?productid=11648&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KvPBRBeEiwAIqCB-QsPOY8n9hjR6ncqDD8OasalxqUB6_M3sePCW3-5vfIJbcSBzVfGZhoCNqIQAvD_BwE

Bought a set of those, it’s dangerous me having the art shop a 2 minute walk from my work! 😆

Just felt I wanted to try getting into colour, I’m impulsive with things like that!

They are water soluble, so once you make a mark you can basically start pulling the ink/paint all over the shop. Found out I can mix on a bit of plastic with water too and use the mixer pen to get really light colours as well, though I might get a wee brush for that(as the mixer already has water in it, so dilutes as you go). Not really tried that in anger yet, but it’ll let me tone down and mix the colours, they are very vibrant, that’ll allow darker tones too I imagine.

Going to buy some media too that is more robust to heavy water and is more conducive to a heavy touch.

Dark souls eh, hmmm sounds interesting, might join in if I can think of anything.. The imagination part is an achilles heal of mine mind you, so mibbe no! 😆

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Happier with this, working from a photo rather than someone’s drawing of the photo helped, plus starting with the eye/nose proportions and working out.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

And shaded in

jonm81

Calvin and Hobbes.

India ink and watercolour.

Cheating a bit as I did this one as practice before inktober started.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cheating you say….wait till I tell Seosamh 😆

TwirlipoftheMists

@jimjam – Ta.

@Malvern Rider – I put it all on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. And then I spend the rest of my day checking my phone for likes 😛
    This is my instagram: Clicky

Gally from Gunnm. Or Alita from Battle Angel Alita.
    Note sure about this one.

redthunder
    Free Member

21/31

Willowfish

Doodle out of a crock of pottery found on the beach today 🙂

21/31 Willow Fish by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

redthunder
    Free Member

@twirlip
    Great drawings 🙂

Even made me decide to create an instagram account..

Well here it is…

https://www.instagram.com/dietredthunder/

With one following 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

I will follow you, if you, follow me..

jimjam
    Free Member

So many artists really delivering the goods on instagram for inktober. i’m not one of them mind 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Another guess who! managed to make her look 40 years older than the source photo. And that was even with me cheating too, jim! 😉 tried to use my tele as a light box just to make 10 or 15 positional marks, very rough outline, which in fairness, did actually work, I was just curious. Canny blame this monstrosity on that! 😆

Actually did look a wee bit better before I attacked it with pen and darkened it.

I might just start hinting at colour to give things a wee lift as opposed to taking the carpet bombing approach! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member

And that Skull from earlier in the thread. Still caught myself starting to shade ;).

#Inktober2017 No date. by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 731 total)

The topic ‘Inktober’ is closed to new replies.