Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Injured, unable to ride…retail therapy?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Injured my knee last week and now unable to cycle at all, probably for weeks but maybe longer if I have actually torn a ligament (waiting on tests).

I’ve spent too much time resting my leg looking at shiney things on the internet…do I buy a new frame and forks and build it up * while injured to give me something to look forward to…or stop being so stupid as I can’t even ride the bikes I have?

err actually I can barely walk to the shed just now

*it’s a CX frame and forks to rebuild my CDF in to something lighter

ton

being laid up has cost me a bob or two.

been spending getting geared up for winter.
    new boots
    new trousers
    base layer
    socks.

bikepacking gear
    new tent
    quilt
    wildcat gear frame bag
    new lights

spent a bloody fortune………….but it is only any good when being spent.

Yak

I had an 8 week chest infection last year and couldn’t ride. In my mind, building a bike sped up the getting-better process. Yeah, without a doubt, build something.

But it was the wrong thing for me and then sold 6months later……

oldtalent
    Free Member

I was sorely tempted as been unable to ride for pretty much all summer. Untimately my tight fistedness won through & I saved a load of cash, from not riding & not buying new bits.

13thfloormonk

My first big winter lay off with a herniated disc cost me a new Arcteryx jacket (I felt I deserved something extra nice) and a new Osprey rucsac, both of which are still serving me well so probably money well spent.

Current lay off with an injured wrist has just cost the bikeshop a bunch of extra labour as my first free service came up so I’ve got them trimming bars, trimming seatposts, removing plastic discs behind cassette, replacing frayed gear cables, basically all the fussy silly little things I’d usually do myself.

Thankfully Ben @ Alpine Bikes seem to be an obliging sort 8)

Also itching to buy a new road bike which would at least be more sympathetic to sore wrists but better wait till I’ve paid the MTB off… 🙄

joebristol

I feel your pain. Now 4.5 weeks ish out from a shoulder op. Can now drive and use a turbo trainer OK – but even riding a bike on the flat / road is a few months away 🙁

Cost me so far a new chain, nw race face chainring, new slx crank and bb, plus some new 5-10 shoes.

Northwind

For me it’s basically one big hobby of riding, planning, building, buying and selling so if I can’t do one part, others get bigger. When I broke my hip I ended up totally refitting my motorbike, same thing (except it’s a bit harder to change forks when you’re on crutches)

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Do it, but don’t do a regular bike – too easy to get parts and to build.
    Go for something like a semi-vintage town bike – that way you can spend hours trawling the net for the appropriate parts, then nettling, cleaning, building.
    Will take longer, probably be cheaper and you won’t feel guilty as it’s not in conflict with existing bikes…

maccruiskeen

stop being so stupid

Get on with it – like it says in the title – ‘Retail Therapy’ – you’re injured – grant yourself a Theraputic Use Exemption

weeksy

a few weeks ago i was laid up too… It cost me a Parkwood and a Whyte T130 !

RustySpanner

Not possible to have too much LEGO, or too many guitars.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Injured, unable to ride…retail therapy?’ is closed to new replies.