• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Injured road kill
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

Sad sight out on the lanes on the bike this morning, I passed two Rabbits on a verge (I presume previous domestic types as they where white/brown/black). One had been hit by a car with its back legs not moving, and the other was just hanging around.

Very much wanted to put it out of its misery, but short of using my shoe(!) I didn’t have anything to hand.

Hope it didn’t suffer for much longer. 🙁

Bizarre I know, but it’s bugged me all day!

kimbers

Had to kill a rabbit being picked to bits by crows a couple of weeks ago, think it had mixy, just dropped a rock on its head, depressed the crap out of me tbh

paddy0091
    Free Member

damn, I bet. Not nice seeing something suffer though!

nuke

Its hard/grim but hate seeing animals/birds suffering…my last one was having to stamp with heel of my cycling shoe on a wood pigeon’s head to put it out its misery 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

Front wheel over the neck and pogo the forks if you can’t bear to touch suffering creatures

aracer
    Free Member

Learn how to break a neck – it’s not that hard.

iolo
    Free Member

Learn how to break a neck – it’s not that hard.

Why would any normal person want to learn how to break an animals neck?

aracer
    Free Member

er, in order to put roadkill out of it’s misery?

Though in a more general sense, most normal people aren’t vegetarians…

paddy0091
    Free Member

Good shout, but I’d probably mess it up – it was a fair sized rabbit.

Part of me hopes Mr Fox got it pretty quick!

manton69

Hold it by its ears. Sharp blow with side of hand behind neck (called a rabbit punch for obvious reasons). Neck broken and off you go. That is what people who deal with livestock/get out in the country get to know. It is not cruel, or harsh it is how I have got my dinner on plenty of occasions.

scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE3CEuZyEJ4[/video]

tinribz
    Free Member

Hold it by its ears.

Pick up by the back legs with your left hand, right hand finger & thumb round back of the neck, straighten your arm & stretch till you hear a crack.

butcher

I drove over the back legs of a rabbit once. Had to go back and put its head under the wheel 🙁

Cycled past a pheasant the other day, crawling off the road … I couldn’t stop. Really didn’t fancy clubbing it to death and potentially putting it through more pain. Maybe I should start carrying a machete. Don’t fancying breaking anything’s neck in case I don’t kill it!

theotherjonv

Mate and I on a night ride one night waiting to cross a country road as a car approached. Just as the car got there a rabbit hopped out and the car went straight over it, leaving it in the middle of the road trying to drag its mangled back legs behind it.

I looked at my mate and said ‘we can’t leave it like that’ to which he replied ‘I agree. I’ll hold your bike’

So I picked it up, every intent to stretch its neck as above, until it occurred to me I had no idea how, or how hard to pull. The vision of a Lycra clad bloke standing in the middle of the road daubed in blood and holding both halves of a decapitated rabbit flashed before me. ‘Ere Sarge; did you see what I think I saw?’

So I held it tight around the waist (legs were ****) and smashed its head hard 2 or 3 times on a fence post, it stopped wriggling, and foxy got a free meal.

Grim as it was I couldn’t have walked away like the op though. Whack it hard on the back of the neck / base of the skull with the heel of your shoe, or a seat post if you can’t wring its neck. And I mean hard, its supposed to be fatal, not tickle.

Speshpaul

Iolo mtfu. If You see an animal in destress, you need to do the right thing.
    Oh, full on woolly hat wearing veggie here.
    Don’t feel bad about despatching a suffering animal, its wrong to say you should feel good. But it is the right thing to do.

JoeG
    Free Member

I once made a u-turn to run over a groundhog that someone else had hit on the road. Thump thump and it wasn’t suffering anymore…

simmy
    Free Member

When I was a Kid, a Dog got knocked over near my house.

It’s a busy main road and had been hit with some force. Poor thing was mangled but still alive.

We flagged a Traffic cop down and he helped it along with his crowbar around the back of its head.

The cop would probably get slated these days and they wouldn’t do it now anyway I bet, but in terms of the Dog suffering, it would have suffered a lot longer waiting for a vet to arrive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t feel bad about despatching a suffering animal, it’s wrong to say you should feel good. But it is the right thing to do.

^^This^^

Speshpaul

I think and will be happily corrected if wrong, that the law is based on unnecessary suffering. You do it and you do quickly. If you need three bows with a tyre iron then you should have done properly in the first place.
    As above don’t f about its supposed to be a fatal blow.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve killed rabbits, mixamatosis is awful.
    A rock to the back of the head.
    But to learn how to break an animal’s neck sounds like something a budding serial killer would do as a child.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand why you think that – particularly given you have apparently killed rabbits (more than having actually done that, I presume that means you’ve spent time in the country and around other country people – an awful lot of them will have wrung the necks of various animals).

It’s not even like knowing how to break a neck is a particularly useful skill for a serial killer 😈

Speshpaul

OFFS, You think hitting the poor thing with a rock is better than pulling its neck? Its not difficult and about as effective as pulling the spinal cord out of the brain can be. Painless and quick.

iolo
    Free Member

I grew up in the sticks of Snowdonia. You can be on the mbr, coed y Brenin from where I was raised in about 20 minutes. There’s lots of rabbits.
    I’m not having a go for killing ikkle bunny wunnies. It has to be done sometimes.
    I just find it strange that someone wants to know how to break an animals neck. Maybe I’m too much of a city softie these days.

tinribz
    Free Member

But to learn how to break an animal’s neck sounds like something a budding serial killer would do as a child.

Or a gamekeeper would be taught at Agricultural college. Along with how to dispatch anything up to the size of a deer on a public highway where firearms are prohibited and with the police present. Rocks don’t quite cut it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We flagged a Traffic cop down and he helped it along with his crowbar around the back of its head.

I can’t help thinking that sounds dodgy. What’s a copper doing with a crowbar……aren’t they suppose to carry truncheons ?

BillMC

Pheasants are easy to dispatch humanely. Pick them up by the neck and swing their body weight in a circle and their necks are broken. With smaller birds I’d use a priest.

swavis

I’ve had to despatch a few bunnies. The last was on a fast farm track when one ran between my wheels and hit the crank and went under the back wheel. Poor wee thing was break dancing and squealing like mad, only thing to do was wring it’s neck. Felt awful 😕

simmy
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that sounds dodgy. What’s a copper doing with a crowbar……aren’t they suppose to carry truncheons ?

😀

It’s was years ago and I think they had crowbars to get trapped people out of cars before the fire and rescue service had such good equipment.

jekkyl

Rabbits seem to have a deathwish, especially at night where you’re cycling down a lane they get startled by your speedy approach and almost always try to run under your tyres.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OP and the respondents have missed an important trick here…. The other rabbit.

Tame rabbits should not be left in the wild.

Can you not go and try to find it? In the future it would be better to pick up the uninjured bunny and take it to a shelter.

Rabbits are the third most common pet in this country and the MOST likely not to have their welfare needs met. They need all the help they can get.

Where was this exactly maybe another forum member will be able to search for the remaining animal.

🙁 🙁 🙁

Noted rabbit fancier, gfs

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I had to dispatch a Deer once, I think parts are still in the freezer.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m all for treating animals humanely, but the last rites seems a bit excessive

paddy0091
    Free Member

@gfs

As I say it was most likely a litter from a while back released into the wild, so despite looking domestic they were certainly wild – I would have gone back in the car but I had work to go.

Not far from Catton Hall ( previous venue of Enduro 6/Sleepless 24hour )

pingu66
    Free Member

With smaller birds I’d use a priest.

What for, to administer the last rights! 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Thanks, paddy0091

parkesie
    Free Member

Saw a rabbit going at it with another rabbit that was half flattened at the side of the a303. Couldnt help but laugh.

Scapegoat

pingu66 – Member

What for, to administer the last rights!

Err, that’s why they are called priests.

*rites

JulianA
    Free Member

Hit a deer a couple of years ago when it ran out in front of me. Reversed over it and drove over it again to make sure it was dead – not nice but couldn’t leave it without making sure.

The carcass was gone the next day – someone had venison for a few days (or Cinnamon Girl had a new stuffed animal!)

I was lucky – one new indicator lens and a very small dent in my wheel arch.

jimjam
    Free Member

iolo

Why would any normal person want to learn how to break an animals neck?

iolo

Jesus wept. Are people really this far removed from the real world? From their food? That is depressing, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

parkesie
    Free Member

So you know how to get food when the zombie apocalypse starts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Injured road kill’ is closed to new replies.