Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Injured joints – how long does swelling last ?
  • iainc

Damaged my elbow 4 weeks ago tomorrow, needed surgery to remove gravel and then skin graft. x-rays showed an avulsion fracture, stable so no plaster. Mobility is OK now, still a bit stiff and sore weight bearing, but hospital said could be 6-8 weeks till back to normal. It’s still swollen up on the joint a fair bit, and not sure how long swelling lasts in these situations.

Will make an appointment to see GP for his opinion early next week, but wondering if others have experienced similar.

mintimperial

6-8 weeks till back to normal

‘Fraid so. Still got a bit of swelling in my knee and ankle from a crash on October 3rd. Not a lot but it’s noticeable. Nothing was broken or ruptured, just two very bad sprains and lots of bumps and bruises. Not got full range of movement back, still aches and twinges, tires quickly. I can ride but not at full-beans yet, pissing me right off it is.

iainc

Ah, cheers, I’ll be patient then. No riding or swimming for 4 weeks is doing my head in !

jambalaya
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string 😉

Pay attention to the physio, keep it moving as soon as allowed and ice it after excersizing (buy one of the reusable freezer ones). Try and keep fit, one armed on a turbo/static bike ? I say fhe latter as ime doing nought for months you end up injuring something else when you start excersizing “normally” again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Getting a strong sense of dejavu……. 😆

iainc

Aye, it’s always this time of year too nobeer, remember the GMBC track session in 2013….

iainc

6 weeks tomorrow since crashing and still sore and swollen, though gradually mending. Another XRay last week suggests opacity at bony elbow end but that’s about it. Getting old sucks 😯

Steelfreak
    Free Member

It obviously depends on the exact nature and extent of the injury, but it can sometimes take months (even up to a year) for recovery to be complete. Ligaments in particular tend to take a long time.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

For example, my busted ankle ligaments took nine months to recover.

iainc

Good info, will need to be patient here ! Thanks

iainc

ligaments sound likely, I vaguely remember the surgeon remarking while attacking a sedated me with a scrubbing brush something about, ‘oh, you seem to have damaged some muscle in here too, but that will heal on it’s own’….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Injured joints – how long does swelling last ?’ is closed to new replies.