Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Inheritance – what to do with it?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

My late Uncle has left me a six-figure sum

I don’t have any debts and there’s an odd few k for coke/hookers/bike parts etc but beyond that there’s nothing I particularly want other than to retire ASAP

The inheritance in itself is not quite enough to retire on and I’m not a gambling man so I want to invest it somewhere rock-solid safe and see it grow for a few years

Any recommendations welcome
    Ta

nemesis
    Free Member

Condolences.

I’d suggest spending a small bit of it on some proper financial advice.

legend
    Free Member

I’ll look after it

*investments in BOL may go down as well as up….. but most likely down

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i represnt the former finacail director of a african nation and can advice on som strong investment portoflios for your extrem benefit.

jekkyl

Sorry for your loss mate. Have a nice holiday (6 months? you could live like a king in thailand or similar places for very little money) and pay the mortgage off. That’s what I would likely do. If you have kids, put some away for their future if they’re young or help them with a house deposit or a car if they aren’t.

Northwind

My dad’s a retired financial advisor and based on past performance, if your 6 figure sum is concerning you he could rapidly turn it into a 5 figure sum

hels
    Free Member

Pay your inheritance tax, then spend half of what is left on something sensible like a rental property, and the rest on living well. Can’t take it with you and all that.

binners

philjunior
    Free Member

Condolences on the uncle, hope he had a good innings. I’m guessing there are no “retirement jobs” you would like to do that maybe this sum could allow you to set up as?

If not, never fully trust anyone else with your money. Whatever you’re going to invest it in, look at it yourself and make an informed decision. Maybe spread it about a bit. But money anywhere is never 100% safe so you could just blow it all on bike parts/coke/hookers.

Bregante

jekkyl – Member
    Sorry for your loss mate.

It’s mate now, is it?

😉

As above. Seek independent legal advice.

footflaps

Personally I’d put it in a SIPP split between 4 or 5 large funds.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hels the threshold on inheritance tax is £325,000 and the rate will be 40% of anything over that.

But yes if it was me I’d save enough to top up my pension contributions annually and buy a rental property.

convert

I got some money (not as much as you) when my father died and was very sensible and paid off some of our mortgage.

I kind of wish I had been only half sensible and bought a holiday home somewhere isolated (and cheap!). Not as frivolous as coke and hookers but more short term life enhancing than my rather dull choice. Or a boat – a 2nd hand yacht would have cost money to keep but they maintain their value quite well and would have transformed my weekends.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Some bloke called Michael Jeremy /Jeremy Michael is offering free financial advice 🙁

jonba
    Free Member

Consider paying for some good financial advice (it can be hard to find).

You need to find the most tax efficient way of investing.

Max out an ISA each year is an obvious one (probably stocks+shares).

Then think about paying more into your pension as you could get tax relief. Well worth it if you are a higher rate tax payer.

After that, picking the right funds. Personally I wouldn’t buy property. Look at fees and price stuctures (how much and how is it charged (flat fee per annum, time usage or performance). You will need to consider long term capital gains as well.

peterfile
    Free Member

Personally I’d put it in a SIPP

I’m beginning to think you’re on commission for SIPPs footflaps 😉

A mate just bought a one bedroom apartment in Chamonix for a low six figure sum. The rental income is between £500-750 a week depending on season. Buy an apartment, rent it out to give you a little bump to your current income and pay for trips out to Cham for skiing/biking. Then sell when you want to retire? It should make the years leading up to retirement a little more comfortable and enjoyable!

nickjb
    Free Member

Property. A flat in the rubbish part of town near the centre if you want to make maximum returns but it will be more work. A holiday let somewhere interesting if you want to be a bit more fun. Either will keep giving you money well into retirement and will most likely rise a value a good amount when you want to cash in

legend
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Property. A flat in the rubbish part of town near the centre if you want to make maximum returns but it will be more work. A holiday let somewhere interesting if you want to be a bit more fun. Either will keep giving you money well into retirement and will most likely rise a value a good amount when you want to cash in

or a building rented by Bright House for teh ultimate cash cow

jam-bo

if I had some spare cash I’d be doing this in a shot, although I made the mistake of looking at RightMove Overseas for Chamonix the other day, page 15 and it was still in 7 figures…

imnotverygood

For the love of God. Has nobody said ” Buy a Bike” …. Or two.

Lifer
    Free Member

Chocolate covered cotton.

br
    Free Member

You need to find the most tax efficient way of investing.

Max out an ISA each year is an obvious one (probably stocks+shares).

Based on getting 1% from a ISA and some pension funds appreciating at 10%, I’d put it into a pension.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

NSI bonds, be safe, might not earn great return compeared to other “investments” but it be safe, BUT if you win the big prize it retirement time!

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

Based on getting 1% from a ISA and some pension funds appreciating at 10%, I’d put it into a pension.

You can invest in the same funds in both ISA and SIPP. They are just different product wrappers so doesn’t mean one will perform better than the other. SIPP has better tax advantages but ISA is more flexible. Whether you can put inheritance into a SIPP I don’t know, guess so.

oldboy
    Free Member

Set aside sum you can comfortably afford to lose, say £20K, and play the equity markets with it – great fun!

slowjo
    Free Member

Two things…..investing in a SIPP may not be that bad an idea. With the new pensions regime coming into effect from 2015 the case for pensions (over ISAs) can be quite compelling (particularly if you pay higher rate tax).

Commission – doesn’t exist any more so footflaps must be after something else! 😉

There are limits to the pension contributions £40k pa iirc…but I could be wrong.

mefty
    Free Member

An ISA can perform as well as a pension, just depends what you invest it in. However, the merit of a SIPP is that you will get a tax rebate which will supplement your investment. However, a pension is less flexible.

Flats in ski resorts often look tempting but when I looked at it they only rent out on average 6-8 weeks a year.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There are limits to the pension contributions £40k pa iirc…but I could be wrong.

I believe the £40k limit is correct as I’ve looked into it too. But you could set aside a few years worth of top up contributions. Invest £40k in your pension and that gets topped up by £8k if you pay 20% tax.

I guess as we don’t know how big the ‘six figure sum’ is then its just pie in the sky. There’s a fair difference in what you can do with £999,999 compared to £100,000

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok thanks folks

Have looked at SIPPs before will look into them again. Might put some in a fixed rate bond as well

Ta

djambo
    Free Member

Fill your ISAs with cheap index trackers (Vanguard). Depending on how long till you can access your pension (and your view on future government policy) fill your SIPP with cheap index trackers (Vanguard).

When ever I invest I always consider how much of my current income the investment will be able to ‘replace’. Aslo consider how sustainable the income is.

mudshark
    Free Member

A mate just bought a one bedroom apartment in Chamonix for a low six figure sum. The rental income is between £500-750 a week depending on season.

Well I think that’s not quite right – maybe there are months of no rent? Or at least much less than £500/week.

jools182
    Free Member

I’d be buying a place in France, somewhere that you can rent out most of the year

br
    Free Member

I’d be buying a place in France, somewhere that you can rent out most of the year

FWIW I’d only buy property in the country you live in (and understand the rules/regs).

mudshark
    Free Member

Where in France can you rent a place out most of the year?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I was in the same position a couple of months back.
    Paid off my mortgage.

Am now about to hand in my notice at one of my two part time jobs, and will be working 1.5 days a week in the new year and taking some time to brew beer, play guitar and ride bikes.

NZCol

Coke and hookers.

I didn’t bother reading the thread

yunki
    Free Member

When I was 18 I got an unexpected inheritance, I guess it was the equivalent of a six figure sum at the time, it was enough to buy a house and have a big party..

At a time when every single one of my mates was on the dole and on drugs it felt pretty strange and I didn’t adjust well to suddenly being a man of wealth..
    My girlfriend left me, I didn’t want the abrupt responsibility of getting the roof fixed and insurance and bills, nor did I have the resources so I let the place..

The tenants ran it into the ground and then burnt it down, which was a blessing as that insurance I’d been loathe to fork out for enabled me to recoup my investment, somewhat jaded and definitely wanting out of the property game..

I suppose it took me about three years to fritter the cash away on fast living and the high life, so my advice would be to cut out all the initial faffing about and get straight into the serious business of pissing it up the wall.. 🙂

kristoff
    Free Member

I received a six figure sum earlier this year.. It cleared my mortgage, bought me and the wife newer cars and went on a nice holiday with the kids.

Still got a bit left over which I’ve put into a fixed term bond for the time being.

Made my life considerably more comfortable having no mortgage to pay so my wages now go considerably further.

rocketman
    Free Member

I’ve put into a fixed term bond

Can I ask which one you went for?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pension limit is for a single year, if I recall you can backdate for prior unused years but only really worth it if you have significant income, ie don’t put more into pension than you pay tax.

My number 1 suggestion would be buy to let property with a smallest mortgage on top easily covered by rent, assume interest rates will go up quite a bit when doing your calculations.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Inheritance – what to do with it?’ is closed to new replies.