Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • inheritance…..
  • MartynS

so my mum handed me a cheque tonight…
    its a portion of my grans estate (she died last year)
    its not a small amount of money, its not life changing either…its the sort of amount that would buy something nice and have a bit left over..
    i’m a bit flummoxed to be honest as i expected nothing..
    I’d really like to get something that would last, and i could look at, or use..
    I used to play guitar a lot so wondered about a really nice guitar and amp setup to try and get back into it..
    I don’t want or need a bike.. (i don’t think!!!)
    inspire me because i really don’t want to pop it all in a bank account and forget about it….

somafunk

Custom built Shand to fit you perfectly, you say you don’t need a bike but a full custom frame tailored to fit you alone is something a bit special to ride, will last you years and years and it’s something you’ll never tire of riding due to the history and memory of your gran behind the purchase.

On the Millenium New Years eve, 17.25 at night i was sitting next to my Grans bed holding her hand round at her house where i had been all day – lung cancer (not a smoker, 1940’s munitions factory worker) had finally dragged her down to a shell of her previous self over the previous few weeks and for the final few days leading up to the New Year she was unconscious as the morphine was taking over, i felt her grip tighten on my hand as she opened her eyes for the first time in 3 days and looked at me for a second then squeezed my hand again, closed her eyes and her chest stopped rising – i sat for at least 30minutes unable to move then wandered through to the drawing room where the rest of the family were gathered and said “she’s gone”. With some of the money she left me i bought a custom built frame, every time i rode it i remembered her and it really did make me happy to be out on it in all weather conditions and with the circumstances leading up to the purchase it made it that bit more special every time i rode it.

yorlin
    Free Member

Most definitely the custom bike (Shand for preference). Get a nice bottle of whisky and think about her when you have a dram. Keep any left over money for house/wedding stuff – she’s a granny, it’s what she would of wanted!

MartynS

shand bikes….lovely but not my style. food for thought though. maybe a custom mtb frame.. always fancied a Ti frame.
    i’m 40 and have a good job and house.
    The thing is I don’t NEED anything. I’m very lucky.. I’d just like to get something that lasts..
    a new roof on my current house when I’m debating selling just doesn’t cut it!!

yorlin
    Free Member

Wel fair enough if you don’t like them… Ti frames are going to get a lot cheaper and better over time though…

What about a nice leather jacket, or a cowboy hat? 🙂

somafunk

if a TI frame then check out Engin cycles or Kent Eriksen , i’d have one of each please.

jamj1974

If your having to think hard about what to spend it it on – don’t spent it, it will be a waste. Put as much as you can in an ISA and wait until you really want something.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    If your having to think hard about what to spend it it on – don’t spent it, it will be a waste. Put as much as you can in an ISA and wait until you really want something.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

This ^ or do something for charity.

kayak23

Take one of your favourite possessions, and get it gold plated?
    Go on a once in a lifetime trip?
    Otherwise, defo the saving thing.

matt_outandabout

The thing is I don’t NEED anything. I’m very lucky.. I’d just like to get something that lasts..

Give it to a good charitable cause. There are lots of small organisations that would really make a difference to someone.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Rickenbacker 330 and a hand wired Vox AC30 would be my choice. Couple of nice electro harmonix boxes and a Dunlop wah too. Larvley!

convert

Buy a bit of art, especially if there is a connection to a place that means something. Buy well and it will at least hold its money.

If a bike, buy one to do a journey that otherwise you couldn’t. Memories of a trip will last a lifetime whilst a bike won’t (despite what other might tell you!).

nuke

This ^

MountainMutant
    Free Member

What about a very nice watch. Always close to you and you’ll think of her every time you check the time.

Also with the added bonus it will annoy half of STW

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about a very nice watch. Always close to you and you’ll think of her every time you check the time.

😀

Agreed, though. I have an inherited watch which means a huge amount to me every time I look at it, because of who it came from.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t waste it – as it’s from your gran make sure it’s spent on something worthwhile that you’ll remember (a fantastic holiday/trip counts). On balance given your comments I’d save it. Don’t put it in the bank – rates are virtually zero – put it in stock market – say a tracker fund. If you’ve the time and inclination you could put part of it (20 %) in the Post Office float as general view is that it’s been priced too cheap. You’d have to do this Monday.

One day you could use it for a house deposit or some of it for an engagement ring and your wedding/honeymoon – I would guess your gran would have liked that.

kcal

Not sure I can inspire you Martyn!

Like the custom frame, or even a Singular, something nice. Maybe get your favourite bike powder coated?

I had a watch that used to be my grandfather’s, but sadly it got nicked – which I guess is the risk with these things.

In a similar vein, an aunt left me some cash last year – quite unexpected really. She was great, really got on well with her, and very musical. With some of the cash, we put it in a savings account to pay for the kids’ music lessons, instruments.

Not sure on the stock market front – risk/reward balance to be struck.
    Buy a nice cask of whisky? wine??

I’d bank it and muse on choices for a few months rather than rush TBH.

singletrackmind

How about this.-
    Put a load into your mtg ( assuming you have one ).
    Spend X amount on yourself . Watch , bike, car or camera for example.
    Put some money aside for a charitable donation, maybe a Mcmillan donation?
    Buy something in memory of her. Church Pew, Bench at a beauty spot , Tree in a garden sort of touch.
    You say you dont need the money , so use some of it wisely and some frivilously .

PiknMix
    Free Member

I paid for a degree with my inheritance, best thing I could think of to spend it on.

nealglover
    Free Member

This.

Just about the only thing I still own now that I owned 15 years ago is my watch.
    I wear it every day. And I miss it when it’s not there.

If I was spend a chunk of money on something to last and remind me of someone, I would choose a watch for sure.

grantway
    Free Member

If your eager to buy something special

What about a good quality watch either a Rolex or Omega
    at least every time you look at the watch you be remembering your grand parents 😉

MartynS

Thank you all…
    Some nice ideas.

I am surprised no one suggested coke and hookers though…

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve always liked you, Martyn.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go and do something cool, go to the Hotel Elqui Domos in Chile and watch the stars, see volcanoes in Iceland, take a jungle trek whatever you haven’t done and want to, something you’ve always fancied, do something you won’t forget and use it to remember your nan. Don’t stick it in the bank, live a little.

matt_outandabout

samuri 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

My uncle left me some money & I brought a Makita compound mitre saw, jig saw & circular saw with it. Every time I use them I think of him.

bearnecessities

I can only suggest what I would do in your scenario.

A couple of very tidy bespoke suits (with spare trousers so you actually don’t mind wearing them). Navy blue with light herringbone has got to be one.

A couple of pairs of nice Church’s shoes.

..and the watch idea.

All will last many years and would feel appropriate.

Bosh/Boom/Plop etc.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Do you like art? If you do, buy some you like.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Buy a beautifully crafted bit of HiFi kit that every now and then you could just sit and immerse yourself in a song that reminded you of your gran?

Neil-F
    Free Member

A nice watch is a good idea, with maybe a nice message engraved on the back. Maybe combine it with actually going and buying it from the very factory its made?

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe an expensive custom built Chris king headset for a trek 8000 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation at the moment. Haven’t touched the money my grandparents left me for about 18 months.

I’m planning to DO something with it, rather than spend it on a thing. My wants/needs/taste changes so often that I’d struggle to find something appropriate. My grandparents were hugely supportive throughout my life, particularly when i got it into my head I wanted to do something and everyone else thought it was a silly idea 🙂

They loved (or at least they were good at pretending they did!) hearing my tales of wherever it was I’d been or whatever I had got up to. It was always a good yardstick as to how great an adventure I’d been on if my grandfather was still awake at the end of the story! So I fancy doing something memorable, something they would have loved to hear about, a trip into the unknown i suppose.

Always the risk I could have a shit trip though I suppose 🙂

Currently toying with the idea of Lenin Peak or Tein Shan with a mate who’s just back from there. I doubt that a 7000m+ peak in the former Soviet Union would ever be anything other than an adventure.

So, long story short, explore the things you could do that you wouldn’t normally be able to. A memory is a pretty good gift IMO.

djflexure

I do think that if you are otherwise well set, travel is the ultimate luxury (even above coke and hookers). Some kind of far flung family experience would appeal to me. Memories forever.

Bunnyhop

I’ve always liked you, Martyn.

Hee Hee,

I think you should spend some of it on some gorgeous curtains when you next move 😉

Seriously, I think the watch idea is great.

nbt

Pay off a chunk of your mortgage.

hora
    Free Member

A decent, holiday to remember away next year.

OR

A nice camper van. Both will be memorable, the campervan will also return your investment back to a degree.

LHS
    Free Member

Boring I know but if you don’t need anything then invest it. Or, if you wish, the LHS family policy with unexpected income like this is 10% goes to something nice, 90% gets invested.

As an example, we had a lump sum of £72,000 which we weren’t expecting, we spent £6500 on a holiday and stuck the rest into a property.

Pay off the mortgage, max out your ISA, invest in property. Always max out what you can for your future.

mrchrispy

my grandfather died a while back, the inheritance wasnt much but we managed to do the living room out with a really nice wood burning stove.

Every time we use it I think about him……he was cremated 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

Every time we use it I think about him……he was cremated

😯 Please, not in the….

highlandman
    Free Member

Buy a touring bike. Take a proper lump of time off and go somewhere interesting on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘inheritance…..’ is closed to new replies.