Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Inguinal hernia…how long before you were riding again?
  • PolisherMan

Had mine repaired last Saturday, so a week down so far. It was done by open surgery.
    It hurts like f@@k! And I’m not a soft lad 😉
    I’m still at the “that milk bottle looks heavy” stage. Before the op. I thought I might be cycling tow-paths after a couple weeks, at the moment I don’t think I’ll ever ride again! 😉

mart
    Free Member

I’ve had several of those and would recommend nothing for a month, then build up very gently to your usual level by the end of the second month. I freely admit I am soft, but I didn’t want to risk damaging the repair. I didn’t even go back to work for 4 weeks but I have a very understanding boss. You’ve had it done at a pretty good time of year in my opinion as with care you’ll be tip top by the time any decent weather might arrive…..

shermer75
    Free Member

Some info here saying that gentle half hour rides are doable after a couple of weeks

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311042-how-to-exercise-after-inguinal-hernia-surgery/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Innes
    Free Member

I had my second done four weeks ago, back to work as an Electrician after 1 1/2 weeks back on the bike after 3 weeks.

Out running a couple of times so far as well.

I got on better this time than the last one nine years ago, I think you just need to see how you feel, everyone is different and each one is a bit different as well.

I would keep moving though, I built up my distance dog walking each day and I think it helped a lot.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

5 half weeks and don’t go lifting any thing heavy or you will tear it again.Walking helps but getting in and out a car is painfull also no nookie for two weeks if this is the same type of Hernia I had done back in 2003!! also had the same side done when I was 3 years old.

DT78
    Free Member

Out of interest how did you get diagnosed. What symptoms did you have? Just had an ultrasound because I have pain down near the old chap that appears to be low level but persistent- no evidence of varicose / cysts etc… But was mentioned it might be a hernia and need another appointment with a radiographer….?

spooked
    Free Member

Couple of weeks but looking back it was stupid. Worst thing you want to do is bugger up the repair at such an early stage.

Just take everything as it comes but try and keep moving when you can. I found that the first few days it was pretty horrible but got better much quicker. I then had niggles with it and pain for about a year where I worried it hadn’t been sorted but now about 5 years on I don’t really think about it unless I do a lot of coughing when I’m ill.

Just see how it goes. Everyone heals at different rates. Good luck with it!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Why not keyhole?! Have mine getting done start of next month slightly daunted by it tbh but first time in hospital ever so that’s probably why!

Doctor got me to cough a couple times and diagnosed it no need for ultra sound test… you on private?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I felt mine go while riding then looked and saw a bump GP made me laugh get that fixed be fine in couple of days.Never had keyhole because they thought it might be a bit of a mess after being done 38years ago then they asked me afterwards few weeks later when they checked it and said was it really done then so it did repair well they put a mesh in mine you lose a bit of feeling down there but the old man works fine but you do feel it from time to time.Quick recovery hopefully .

BearBack
    Free Member

Did everything i could to avoid a mesh repair. Ended up with an understanding surgeon who suture repaired only. Sent the family away while i healed but got bored and was riding tech after 1.5 weeks and oddly decided it was a good idea to spread a cubic yard of topsoil and reseed our back lawn while the kids were away. Anyway, probably shouldnt have done that but my post op pain was minimal after 48hrs and the only negative is that i have a bunch of tissue adhesion though all layers. Be proactive with physio and get your core strengthened and that scar tissue released! “Pelvic floor exercises” are not just for the ladies!
    Which reminds me.. Im feeling weak down there so should probably go and do something proactive

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I had mine done just over two weeks ago and it’s still a bit sore, could probably manage a gentle spin on the bike in a week or so I reckon.

Edit. Had mine done open too. I still feel like I’ve been hooded in the stotts.

sq225917
    Free Member

Had a mesh repair done in November, open style. The reason they do some of them open is that it allows them to remove and repair the bulge, not just stick a piece of nylon sieve over it.

I was back on the bike, very lightly, after 3 weeks, didn’t start rowing again until 7 weeks as it didn’t feel right with my knees at my chin under load.

The scar tissue is still quite hard though it’s melting away. i climb so my core strength was very good anyway, though it’s only not that I’d say i’m back to pre-op form.

That said there is blatantly a piece of plastic in my groin that i can feel move around on occasions and a patch of numb flesh about 3″ square under the op-site

PolisherMan

Me again….3 months to full recovery was the outcome for me. Although my surgeon said when I saw him last, that another chap he operated on felt pain free after 3 weeks…

StirlingCrispin

I had a double open inguinal repair six years ago.

After the op is chuffin’ agony (I had an open op). I stayed off the bike for a week and then started very gentle cycling with the surgeons permission. Within three and a bit weeks I was upto 30 miles and was touring after three months. Cycling is good as it stops adhesions forming and my recovery went faster than friends who didn’t. Wasn’t allowed to lift my young kids for a month or two which sucked.

I have some NHS guidance (from my dad) and medical journal articles if you want then.. I got no guidance but was working from home within a week – but a GP friend said she’d have happily signed me off for two weeks. An HGV driver / labourer is signed off work for months or more.
    Good luck!

Sundayjumper

I had one done in Aug 2014. Pain wasn’t too bad IIRC, but I did have some great painkillers that left me pretty spaced out !

I didn’t ride for about two months. Not due to pain, I just didn’t feel like it.

Getting on for two years now, there’s a patch of skin down there that still feels tingly numb and it aches a bit sometimes.

Generally part of getting old, I think, you don’t heal so well 🙁

thorpie
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t rush it. I had eight weeks off work and only then started riding again. Still get the odd similar pains now, over a year later, and recently went for another scan. The consultant said there was no sign of a further hernia and the pain was down to being slimmer than when I had the repair! I don’t do anything involving abdominal work anymore, sit ups and the like. Take your time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Inguinal hernia…how long before you were riding again?’ is closed to new replies.