Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Infusing alcohol ideas.
  • mactheknife

Its fair to say i like a drink, a good whisky or other spirits generally.

I had a present at christmas from a mate who had made some hooch and it was pretty ace. Basically a decent vodke with different types of fruit infused.

So i am looking for some inspiration to make some of my own 🙂

wombat

I had some homemade toffee vodka over Christmas. Apparently you can make it be dissolving Werthers Originals into vodka. Don’t know the proportions but it tasted mighty fine 8)

maccruiskeen

Liver 🙂

Hoff

Just Vodka base or anything else considered? Made Jack Daniels & Blackberries or “Black Daniels’ & that was pretty good

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I make raspberry vodka. 600ml of average vodka, 200g of sugar, and 240g/until the bottles full, of Raspberry’s.
    Leave it 3 months, shaking occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
    Then get pissed.

steve-g
    Free Member

Straight from the giving up alcohol thread to here

Currently got some Werthers originals in a bottle of vodka at home. I find that putting the sweets through the blender, then putting the vodka/werthers mix in its bottle through a dishwasher cycle cuts down on the steeping time.

I would imagine its just a case of buying a multi pack of miniature vodkas, and one of each packet of sweets from the sweetshop. I have seen people do skittles, and also those eclair sweets, I reckon they would be good.

Great, now it’s Monday afternoon and I am going to be drinking toffee vodka later on

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member
    annebr
    Free Member

We did Blueberry Vodka this Christmas.

When I sieved out the blueberries I baked them into muffins. Yummy and potent!

medoramas
    Free Member

I remember me and my friends used to inject vodka to oranges and watermelons… 8)

cheers_drive

Stuart Maconie has just been talking about this on R6.
    Vodka and Fisherman’s friends was one suggestion.

ski
    Free Member

Wrong time of year, but sloe whiskey is worth a dabble, stick to the 3rd rules (sloe, blended whiskey, sugar) it’s a great drink.

I have been a recent convert to ‘rusty nails’ also

mactheknife

Awesome, I’ll be in a coma for weeks 😛

Esme
    Free Member

As usual, Mumsnet is well ahead of STW . . . Dishwasher Vodka
    Someone used Haribo 😯 I think

tthew

Damson Brandy’s nice. Needs some sugar like uselesshippie’s Raspberry Vodka recipe.

I prefer a lot less sugar though, 100g/litre as I don’t like it sweet. You can always add some sugar syrup if you made it too bitter, but you can’t take it away. Final top tip, you don’t need to use expensive alcohol, but make sure it’s full strength. 37.5% or better, sometimes the cheapest is a bit thin.

Some of those other combinations up there sound nice, never tried any whiskey/fruit combinations.

markshires
    Free Member

We used to do the diswasher vodka all the time at Uni, we tried it with allsorts of sweets. I can remember skittles being alright. I know other things we tried were smarties, munchies, rolos and after eight mints. I think the after eights were pretty good too. Not sure which way the others turned out though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Gin with a nice marmalade is good. Make it as you would sloe gin.

tthew

Presumably the jelly just kind of dissolves into the Gin and you strain out the shred?

Do you use less sugar, as the Marmalade contains that itself?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea of midget gem vodka. Can someone with experience of using sweets clue me up on the amount needed for this.

Esme
    Free Member

Mumsnet says:
    “Remove about a quarter of the bottle of vodka, and fill with your chosen sweets to the lid”

Daffy

1. Cut a 5cm diameter hole into top of the the largest watermelon you can find
    2. Insert a 50mm flat woodworking bit onto an electric screwdriver.
    3. Insert into watermelon and carefully mash the insides.
    4. Pour in as much liquor as will fit.
    5. leave in fridge for several days
    6. Remove and strain.
    7. Enjoy with ice and olives!

CountZero

As soon as I saw this thread I thought ‘aha, RadMac, vodka and Fisherman’s Friends’!
    There is, of course, chilli vodka, which had been discussed at some length on this forum.
    Just be careful which chillis you use, Carolina Heat might be best avoided… 😯

daftvader
    Free Member

Raspberry gin… And then once strained use the raspberry pulp in a trifle..

tomhoward

Skittles are a fruit, right? Pear drops too?

huws
    Free Member

Rhubarb vodka! rhubarb, vodka and sugar. Leave well alone for at least 6 weeks.

Drink it (layered) with advocat for those rhubarb and custard childhood memories. But with added drunkeness.

tomhoward

Genius is a word often bandied about these days, but you huws, are it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

i struggle to get infusiastic about flavoured vodka.

TheBrick
    Free Member

tthew – Member

Presumably the jelly just kind of dissolves into the Gin and you strain out the shred?
    Do you use less sugar, as the Marmalade contains that itself?

Straining yes, or if you don’t mind bits or rind in your drink don’t!

As far as sugar goes its to taste. I didn’t but some people might adds some. Its make a cheap to average bottle of gin very nice so not too expensive to experiment with.

sadexpunk

is there a reason why people always seem to put a lot of sugar in these drinks? if you like vodka, and like fruit, why do you need to stick a load of sugar in it too? is it so it turns to alcohol or something?

would it be sh*t to just use vodka and fruit/toffees/whatever, no sugar?

TooTall
    Free Member

Bramble whisky. Blackberries, some sugar, cheap whisky. It ends up like a very rounded port and makes you warm inside then makes you fall over a bit.

tthew

is there a reason why people always seem to put a lot of sugar in these drinks? if you like vodka, and like fruit, why do you need to stick a load of sugar in it too? is it so it turns to alcohol or something?

would it be sh*t to just use vodka and fruit/toffees/whatever, no sugar?
    I could be incorrect here, but the ones where you just bung stuff like sweeets and toffees in are basically flavoured vodka. When you put more sugar in it’s like fortified vodka, (not sure if it’s stronger, never measured it)

Cheers The Brick, definately going to try Marmalade Gin!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Marijuana.

You’ll need quite a lot 🙂

BlobOnAStick

I travelled out to Northern Italy for a while, used to stay in a small town outside Turin.

There was a pizzeria in the town that would serve a very potent treat at the end of the meal: sugar cubes that had been stored in alcohol and flavoured with things like vanill pods, coffee beans.

When we asked what the alcohol was the proprietor would be very evasive but did admit once that it was about 90% (he said he got it from the chemist!). Anyhow, the idea was that you took a sugar cube, placed it on you tongue and crunched it, let the granules of sugar coat the tongue and then you opened your mouth and breathed in the vapour from your tongue. I can tell you, two was the maximum you could handle…..

BlindMelon
    Free Member

My mate, erm….Paddy, tells me that 10 brandy balls dissolved in poteen works rather well. Never tried it mind you…hic

maccruiskeen

If you want to get all Ray Mears hunter gatherer about it instead of just pouring a sweetshop into a bottle…. with spring coming, young birch leaves in either gin or vodka.

tthew

Birch gin? Blimey,I’ve not heard that one before. With or without sugar? (Guessing with as there’s not much there naturally)

TooTall
    Free Member

When we asked what the alcohol was the proprietor would be very evasive

He was being like that for tourist effect. I lived in Naples for a couple of years and used to make my own limoncello. 96% alcohol, lemons and a sugar syrup. The alcohol was available in most supermarkets for about 7 Euro a l.

jonba
    Free Member

Anyone tried nuts? I’ve had walnut stuff somewhere in Europe.

Mint?

mactheknife

Been looking at adding herbs to gin 🙂 after working on the van ill be experimenting tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Infusing alcohol ideas.’ is closed to new replies.