Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Infrared capable webcam?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I cannot for the life of me seem to find a proper IR capable webcam.

I’ve bought a couple of cheap ones from ebay that claim to be capable of picking up IR and I’ve bought a separate IR array to splash the area I need covered…but no luck.

On top of that, I’ve even destroyed both webcams trying to remove the IR filter itself.

Has anyone ever found a webcam that does indeed work in the dark provided you have a decent IR light source? I know there are security type cameras, but they are not USB and tend to be quite pricey.

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought they all picked up ir. Its what I use to check the operation of remote controls. Shows up as white light. Just need one with decent low light performance as I suspect your ir array won’t be that bright.

nickc

A webcam that works in the dark…..hmmmmmmmm?

peterfile
    Free Member

I thought they all picked up ir. Its what I use to check the operation of remote controls. Shows up as white light. Just need one with decent low light performance as I suspect your ir array won’t be that bright.

Perhaps it’s because I’ve picked up cheap chinese webcams?

A webcam that works in the dark…..hmmmmmmmm?

I wish it was that exciting 🙂

Cowman

Make your own for very little with the R Pi Pi Noir Camera. This mounted on a board with some IR LEDs would be fine.

peterfile
    Free Member

I did look at that Cowman, it’s for a raspberry pi so it should work perfectly.

The only issue I have is that the Pi is a few metres away from where I need the camera to be and I’ve read that extending the cable on the Noir by that much can lead to pretty ropey performance.

allthegear
    Free Member

Just buy another raspberrypi to just run the camera? They’re cheap for a reason!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Infrared capable webcam?’ is closed to new replies.