Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Infra Red sender
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d like to hide my sky box out of the way so need something to receive the ir signal.

Seen this one on amazon, anyone using this or similar?

IR sender

Gary_M
    Free Member

Having looked at that again it’s not exactly what I’m after as the small receiver unit would have to be visible. What I want is something like that but with an ir eye being the only visible part of the system. I can then stick this somewhere unobtrusive.

jwt
    Free Member

Hi Gary, you could try Keene electronics,
    http://www.keene.co.uk/
    not cheap but anything from there will work, and plenty of different options such as IR over IP and IR over co-ax.
    or just google Sky eye.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks jwt the sky eye looks perfect.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was planning something exactly like that myself.

Also need a large silent case fan to keep the stuff cool… drawing a blank on that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m only hiding a sky box in a sideboard so heat shouldn’t be an issue. I could always take the back off that section of the sideboard if it does run hot.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want the fan for my playstation. There are already holes in the back of the cabinet but it’s not enough.

40mpg

I tried one of those IR senders to transmit from a sky box upstairs to downstairs. Complete waste of time.

The first one, from Comet (24 Ghz I think) didnt get any sound through and just a fuzzy picture. Took that back and got a better one from Maplins (56Ghz?) for about £70. Worked OK in perfect weather and if no-one moved in the house, otherwise flaky picture and lots of sizzle on the sound.

Given up with them completely now and cabled right round the outside of teh house (which I was trying to avoid) but got great picture now!

Maplin box for sale if anyone is interested – just don’t expect it to get signal through 1 timber floor and 1 masonry internal wall.

jwt
    Free Member

Gary M is purely trying to control his Skybox when hidden from sight, IMHO wireless sending of audio/video such as the ones you listed to other monitors can suffer from local interference, its much easier to get consistant results if its cabled. As it appears you have found!

Gary_M
    Free Member

As jwt says I don’t want to send the signal anywhere else, i just want to hide the sky box and still use the remote. The sky eye thing seems to do both but I would only use it for receiving/sending the ir signal.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure you could knock something up from a transistor, a IR range LDR and an IR LED, for about 50p from Maplin. You’d need batteries, but so does your remote and they last ages.

It’s what I’m planning, although my cabinet will probably get a power supply for active ventilation.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m looking at one of these at the moment IR Extender so I can put the Skybox, AV receiver, and playstation all in the under-stairs cupboard with the switch, NAS, Broadband all out of sight

if you can coax the sky eye’s work perfectly, I’ll have those for any other TV’s in the house via booster unit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Infra Red sender’ is closed to new replies.