Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Information exchange regarding MTB routes… silly idea?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Near me there are lots of bridleways etc, but a lot of them are quite mundane with regard to technical riding. Unfortunately it takes a long time to work out the good sections and link them together. What would be brilliant is if there were a means of swapping MTB relevant information, whether on an individual basis or in a more organised fashion.

This could be done, for example, by swapping this sort of information:

County: Hampshire
    Grid reference (start): SU 442-297
    Classification: Bridleway
    Direction (of travel): North
    Description: Very short but steep descent, loose rutted chalk, technical in places.
    Worth riding: 8/10

I am personally sad/desperate enough to type the best sections of my local riding into Excel and swap them with others interested in the area (like top-trumps). What I doubt is whether anyone else would feel the same way!

Thoughts?

All we would need is a standard format for a spreadsheet…

IanMmmm
    Free Member

http://www.everytrail.com and numerous other web sites already do this. All you need to do is get a group of people that agree to use one and you're off.

poppa
    Free Member

Interesting… not a stupid idea, just an old one then! Is everytrail the best starting point?

thomthumb
    Free Member

the problem with this is classification.

i wouldn't describe that bridleway as steep.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the only trouble is, everyone will have a different opinion. I can think of quite a few trails I was told were rubbish which when I eventually rode them were excellent, and likewise there are tracks I hate which others rave on about (ie climbing Jacob's Ladder). There is no substitute for riding stuff yourself – possibly several times as your own assessment (and the trail itself) can change 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

I know that opinions will vary, I wouldn't expect some kind of definitive guide.

It would just be useful, when there are hundreds of bridleways around, to have a few suggestions that would be worth linking up. Then you can make your own mind up, and if someone asks you then you can pass on your viewpoint.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

when there are hundreds of bridleways around

wow, you're lucky 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Rather than subjective opinions on how techie/whatever a route is, I reckon lots of photos of the trail would be more valuable. Google maps (or google earth, I don't recall which) has the functionality to do this.

poppa
    Free Member

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there were ~100 legally accessible bridleways, BOATS etc. within sensible riding distance of my house… maybe not hundreds then..

andytherocketeer

http://www.everytrail.com is the one I use the most. What it does do is allow people to rate the route (think a few have rated some of mine), and it can also alert you to other people's routes nearby.
    But what does that rating mean? Some might rate it for scenery or something along the route (eg one of mine has a UNESCO fossil pit), but others might rate it for uber-flowy singletrack.

I also use mapmyride, wikiloc, gpsies, … (add .com to most of those).

poppa
    Free Member

I use map my ride a lot, but you tend to only get information regarding the ride as a whole. Still useful though.

As regards taking photos of bridleways, I think this can be quite subjective too. It's usually difficult to capture how the track rides, especially if it's a long section. Ever hear people say 'It's a lot steeper than it looks!'?

Having said that, it would be cool if you could hover over a bridleway with your mouse and up pops a photo…

AlasdairMc

I'm broadly against it, as I've seen first hand what sharing an unmaintained trail can do for its quality over time. Fair enough bridleways, but nothing where it's likely to erode at an accelerated rate once traffic increases.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it would be cool if you could hover over a bridleway with your mouse and up pops a photo…

like this ?

poppa
    Free Member

That is indeed pretty cool. Personally I would be more interested in finding out how the trail rides, rather than illustrations of the scenery and fruity girls on mountain bikes though!

EDIT: I just found more photos…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Personally I would be more interested in finding out how the trail rides

I wonder if that is susceptible to photography ?

rather than illustrations of the scenery and fruity girls on mountain bikes

whatever floats your boat soft lad. Gimme girls every time :o)

allyharp

pedalhead – Member

Rather than subjective opinions on how techie/whatever a route is, I reckon lots of photos of the trail would be more valuable. Google maps (or google earth, I don't recall which) has the functionality to do this.

Photos were my first thought too. I often use geograph whilst checking out places to ride.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Information exchange regarding MTB routes… silly idea?’ is closed to new replies.