Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Info on a New full suspension bike.
  • hardy73
    Free Member

Hi I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike somewhere around £600-£650 mark, I am after info on what I should be looking for, I am looking to do mainly trails and tracks but would like some thing thats more capable than me. If you know what I mean;)
    any info would be appreciated.
    I live in the North East
    thanks
    Steve

chojin
    Free Member

New or second hand?
    You’ll struggle to get anything decent at that price brand new I think…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Frame only? Or full bike?

hardy73
    Free Member

Oh yes second hand
    thanks

hardy73
    Free Member

Hi Full bike
    thanks

donsimon
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b2s1p2162
    You should be able to find something decent at Pauls’.

hardy73
    Free Member

I could spend more if the right bike came along, but my wife won’t be happy;)
    thanks
    Steve

chojin
    Free Member

Something like eBay number 220985562866 would be a good bet I reckon

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

That Mongoose looks like a damn good buy! But……

Have you thought about getting a hardtail? You’ll get alot more bike for your money and it sounds like a good hardtail will be enough for what you want to ride.

hardy73
    Free Member

Boardman looks great but the same old problem for me is most people won’t do delivery and I live in Tyne and Wear.
    whats are boardmans like?
    ta

hardy73
    Free Member

The problem is I have not been on good quality mountain bikes just the normal rubbish, so may yes a hard tail would be, I could look down that line. what do you recommend?
    thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

For XC/trail riding they (Boardman HTs) are fine – not esp. stiff and rugged, but actually quite comfy and light. I’ve had one for 2 years, ridden every kind of trail on it, and only just broken it down to build-up a new HT. I was never unhappy about it in that time.

donsimon
    Free Member

what do you recommend?

Depends on what and where you ride. For example, I’ll happily ride the black at Llandegla on a 100mm hardtail XC race bike while others feel the need for full sussers and full body armour. Not quite so easy as saying this bike or that bike.
    For hooning around I also have a Pipedream Sirius which is mucho fun for no mucho weight.

hardy73
    Free Member

I had a offer of a giant trance X4 brand new for £670? whats you views on these
    thanks

hardy73
    Free Member

sorry 2011

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

Ive never ridden one but they get good reviews and Ive seen them mentioned on here alot. That seems like a ridiculously cheap price. If the seller is genuine it is a good buy.

Ideally you should try and get a test ride. If thats not possible try and have a go of any full suspension bike to see how it feels. Obviously they are all different but it will give you some idea what they feel like in general.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I ride a Trance x2 2008 with a Pike (longer fork than intended for the frame) and it’s great! The Maestro linkage, which is Giant’s patented design for the sections connecting the rear to the front triangle is really good as it gets rid of most pedal ‘bob’ so makes the bike more efficient. Giant’s tubing is top notch, they just aren’t particularly trendy bikes!

That’s an oddly good price for a brand new Trance! They start around £1100 and come with a basic but solid spec. Shimano everything (good) and a basic but dependable Rockshox fork.

You’ll need a shock pump to set the rear suspension and maybe the fork to your weight (if it comes with an air fork). This is important as it significantly changes the feel and performance of the bike.

It’s not a freeride bike by any means, and it has more squish than a cross country bike. I’d say they suit a broad range of beginner to average weekend riders. Upgrade the fork to slightly longer travel when you’ve grown into it and you’ll have a bike that could last you a long time…until this forum persuades you of the next best thing you simply must have!

Snap it up sir, before some other lucky bugger gets it!

Here’s mine:

Wider bars, shorter stem and longer travel fork have made it more versatile in my opinion. I’ve sacrificed some of the climbing ability, but it’s great on the descending trails around here! I also took off the big ring to set it up as 2×9 and fitted single chainring bolts to do so which gives me more clearance over logs and stuff.

The stock setup is fine, I’m just explaining what has worked for me 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ah, 2011 means coil fork which does not need a pump but is less maintenance. It’s still worth getting one (if it doesn’t come with) for the rear shock.

The 2011 is an improvement on recent years, get stuck in!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Info on a New full suspension bike.’ is closed to new replies.