Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Inflating UST tyres – how do you do yours?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bit of a conumdrum – been running USTs (dry) for quite some time and have only once had to resort to using a compressed air cartridge. Last night I decided the time was right to convert to Stans – I’ve got a new wheelset with a leaky rim.

Could I pump the tyres up with a track pump? No, I could not. I have tried lubing them with soapy water, frame polish (recommended by a pro mechanic – normally works) and seating them dry – nada.

I’m now looking at compressors online and muttering “Tools. Man. Grrr.”

So tell me – how do you do yours?

grumm
    Free Member

Track pump normally works fine – if not then I use a cartridge. That’s with ghetto tubeless on Mavics and on Stans Rims with no rim strip.

pinches
    Free Member

i normally use a compressor with just an air gun on the end. the large volume supplied overcomes any loss, then i inflate to a pressure with a track pump

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Track pump.

glenh
    Free Member

Mini pump.

But then I do use ust rims.

nickc

proper UST = track pump, and manly nod of the head of job well done

non UST and wheels with bits of tape = compressor and hours of frustration and banging head against wall.

Probably

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

These are Shimano rims and Maxxis LUST tyres that have mounted and blown up fine before whacking in the Stans.

Which says to me it’s the Stans. Which seems ridiculous.

Confused am I!

Jamie
    Free Member

Aldi track pump works fine with:

Shimano 776 UST + Maxxis LUST HR 2.35s

+

Stans ZTR Arches + Maxxis LUST HR 2.35s …..I did have to put a bit of soapy water on the bead to make them make that nice popping noise as they snapped into the bead tho.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Shimano 776 UST + Maxxis LUST HR 2.35s

Exactly what I’m running.

TIme to go back to the drawing board then.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Always used a track pump. Never used an air can in 8 years of UST – with all sorts tyre makes.

Kahurangi

Old tyres? Slightly stretched bead or damaged bead and too much air leaking??

On my stan’s rims with conti supersonic tyres I’ll seat the tyre with a tube then remove the tube from one side, install the valve, pull the bead on by hand as much as you can and then inflate with a track pump to get the last bit to pop on. Then I add stan’s sealant.

HTH

glenh
    Free Member

Hang on a minute?

What do you mean “convert to stans”? If you have ust rims, why would you be doing this?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yeap, older tyres.

Not sure what the leak is – I *think* it’s a less than perfect seal on the rim (there’s minor rim damage to the rear rim). One reason for going Stans is to see whether it fixes it.

The front rim is fine though.

I like the idea of the tube – that’s tonight’s mission.

(and I think I’ll get a compressor anyway – the idea of new tools is always exciting)

ChrisE
    Free Member

Top tip, when re-using old tyres, put them through the washing machine first. Then put them on straight out of the drum. They are wet, clean, supple and go on dead easy. Honest, try it!

I just have a cheap track pump and no probs.

C

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

glenh – I’ve been running UST totally dry for about five years. While I’ve only had a few punctures, I do lose air slowly in one wheelset.

The second UST wheelset I’ve just bought has a very leaky rear rim, so it seemed like a good idea to start running sealant, which should also solve all slow leaky problems.

However, re-inflating the tyres containing Stans on these new rims last night is where I’ve started getting problems. Previously I’ve only once had to resort to using a compressed air cart with a new Conti on a Mavic 819 (dry).

So not technically ‘converting’, more switching to running sealant.

ChrisE – nice tip!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Have you tried folding the tyre inside out for a couple minutes?

My technique last week was tyre inside out, soapy water, trackpump… lots of pumping, no hint of it seating, insert tube inflate to 60psi, deflate carefully remove inner tube to keep one side seated. Try pumping up again still nothing throw pump in shed walk into the house in a huff…

Come back next day for one last try before resorting to a compressor pumped up first time without any soapy water stupid UST! Still you don’t ever get any puctures do you 😯

glenh
    Free Member

Oh, I see. You are just adding sealant, not stans rim strips.

In that case, I can’t understand why there are more difficult to put up either. The only explanation i can think of is that the rubber sealing lip on the bead is damaged / worn.

uplink
    Free Member

Not sure what the leak is – I *think* it’s a less than perfect seal on the rim (there’s minor rim damage to the rear rim). One reason for going Stans is to see whether it fixes it.

Buy yourself some Pink Panther – works a treat, one tub will probably last you the rest of your days 🙂

http://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/acatalog/Tyre_Mounting_Lubricants___Pastes.html

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

uplink – I’m assuming that’s OK on bike tyres? I know some manufacturers are a little funny about sealants and similar chemicals because they can damage the tyre (and obviously a bike tyre and a car tyre are not totally the same).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

XT rims and Maxxis = track pump every time even with year old tyres. UST is brilliant, wontbe going back to tubes.

FuzzyWuzzy

Track pump always works for me, sometimes I’ve had to resort to soapy water or leaving a tube in overnight beforehand. The last two tyres I did (a 2.4 RQ and a 2.3 Bonty FR4) inflated remarkably easily (just stuck the tyres on, pushed down a bit on the tyre around the valve and pumped, no soapy water or sealant), left them for an hour or so and they hadn’t lost much air so would have been a pretty god seal (added sealant later).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Found the problem – gaping hole between the Stans valve and the rim.

Now I need to find a compatible valve…

Northwind

Compressor… I’ve done it with a track pump a couple of times just to make sure I can but I reckon if I didn’t have a compressor, I just wouldn’t do tubeless.

scaredypants

glenh – I’ve been running UST totally dry for about five years. While I’ve only had a few punctures, I do lose air slowly in one wheelset.
    The second UST wheelset I’ve just bought has a very leaky rear rim, so it seemed like a good idea to start running sealant, which should also solve all slow leaky problems.
    However, re-inflating the tyres containing Stans on these new rims last night is where I’ve started getting problems. Previously I’ve only once had to resort to using a compressed air cart with a new Conti on a Mavic 819 (dry).
    So not technically ‘converting’, more switching to running sealant.

syringe of jizz, or bottle with narrow tip. valve out; squeeze. Done.

spanners
    Free Member

Tyre soap from ATS, Kwik Fit, etc. Slippier than a lubed up hooker.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Lubed up Hooker? 😯

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Inflating UST tyres – how do you do yours?’ is closed to new replies.