Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Inflating burped tyres in the middle of nowhere?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Managed to burp my rear tyre after I fudged a landing on a bit of a rocky drop off in the middle of nowhere today.

Spent 20 minutes trying to re-inflate the tyre with my pathetic mini pump before I gave in and put a tube in.

Have read that co2 can nadger the sealant so prob looking for a better pump? Something like the topeak morph mountain. Running a maxxis advantage on a flow and it does seem baggy. Did burp the front once last year but most of the bead stayed seated so got away with that one

Anyone have any secret methods or am I resigned to being covered in sealant everytime I burp a tyre?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

C02.

It may react with the sealant over time, but it’ll get you home.

Northwind

The trick, apparently, is to reinflate it with CO2 then immediately let the CO2 out and replace with air. Not entirely sure I’m convinced by that. I’ve got a good high-volume pump (Truflo Minitrack I think) but I still wouldn’t bother

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ndthornton
    Free Member

Starting fluid and a match
    Works on car tyres…

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=16egWpgQdJg

igm

Topeak mountain morph

Onzadog
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like burping to me (or at least what I understand as burping). If you can’t inflate it with a mini pump, then the bead has unseated. It might help to reinstall the tyre but with an extra wrap or two of yellow tape.

To my mind, a burp is a temporary parting of tyre bead and rim where the bead then reseats.

If it happens on the trail, just use co2. It might set the sealant off but it will need changing one day anyway.

What rim/tyre/pressure are you running?

STATO
    Free Member

This is why if you run tubeless you really should get it set up so you dont need all sorts of wierd home made bottle pumps or an endless supply of CO2 cartridges. As Onzadog mentions, you should fit more tape.

MartynS

Mountain morph…

Re inflated a tyre I’d had off when I pinch flatted and had to put a tube in.
    When I was looking for the hole again the mountain morph inflated the tyre no bothers.

Oh, mavic 719 with rim tape then a stans strip and spesh purgatorys..

I was a bit bothered I’d pinch flatted a tubeless tyre though… Right on the bead so I don’t think I can mend it!

Gribs

With Conti UST tyres on Flows I’ve had no trouble reseating them with a Lezyne mini pump after patching a hole that was to big for sealant to manage. When running a ghetto tubeless setup in the past I always carried a CO2 inflater and a few cartridges as they were hard work to seat even with a track pump.

I was a bit bothered I’d pinch flatted a tubeless tyre though… Right on the bead so I don’t think I can mend it!

Try using a traditional tube patch and glue.I’ve used them a couple of times to fix pinch flatted tubeless tyres and it seems to work perfectly well.

h4muf
    Free Member

I inflated a bonty mud x on a ghetto 321 rim that had a sidewall cut with a lezyne alloy drive.(trail side)

chiefgrooveguru

If it’s just burped then the beads should still be seated and it pump up fine, unless you kept rolling for a while and the tyre started coming off! Some mini pumps are really shockingly bad. My Lezyne Alloy Drive pushes three or four times as much air as the worst offenders.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Tbh I’m not sure what the pressure was, I usually use the squidgy side wall method to check pressure. Landed the drop off, heard the bang but didn’t stop straight away so guilty as charged pushing the bead off the rim.

Rim is a Flow with the stans tape and tyre is a maxxis advantage exception. Took the tube out this morning and put it back to tubeless. Went up fine with the compressor. Managed to over inflate it first time (slight hangover), tyre was stood in the kitchen when the tyre blew off.

Didn’t realise 3oz of stans sealant could make such a much mess, breakfast bar, stools, wall, ceiling, fridge, blinds and back doors covered. Back up to 30 psi now and sat in the back garden in case it goes again. That’ll learn me.

Which co2 is everyone using?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just put the wheel back on the frame and it’s well out of true. Tyre is even worse.

Don’t know if the tyre is all over the place because of the rim being out of true or if it’s because it blew off and deformed?

Or did it blow off because the wheel is well out? Wouldn’t have thought so.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Perhaps tubeless is not for you…. 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

I once ran the maxxis advantage exception series tyres on flow rims around the peaks. After blowing the tyre off a couple of times I decided that particular combo was taking the piss for my type of riding a d swore from then on to stick to ust or at least tubeless ready tyres.

As you’ve used “tubless”, “drop” and maxxis exception” all in the same paragraph, you might want to consider the same.

Northwind

Blowing a tyre off the rim is really bad news- I mean, with car tyres it can kill you, with bike tyres it’ll break bones no bother, so it’s not good for the wheels at all, it can knock them miles out of true. And remember that what’s happened is the bead has stretched by a fair bit, so the tyre itself can have obvious damage, and not so obvious. You can get away with it, but it’s luck.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Will consider the tyre fudged then, was practically brand new. Bastardio.

Went with a fair old bang, I was in the back garden and presumed someone was out over the fields at the back of us shooting. Luckily my lad was upstairs with big sis, the wife and daughter no 2 where out. Quite scary thinking about it.

Sure I’ve read elsewhere too of an advantage blowing off a flow. I’ve run them on the back for a couple of years now with no problems but I’m going to have to look elsewhere now as I wont feel comfortable putting another on.

I presumed I’d over inflated it but I’m pretty anal (ohh err) when it comes to anything bike related so now I’m thinking I didn’t put too much puff in and it’s a bad tyre/rim combo.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve run advantage ust and friends have run standard ones with no problem. It’s just the exception series that are a step too far for tubeless.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Run the standard advantages ghetto on my ht and they have been fine. Think I’m going to dodge the exception series now thanks.

Run a minion upfront on the other flow and think I’m going to put a minion dhr 60a on the back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Inflating burped tyres in the middle of nowhere?’ is closed to new replies.