Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Inflating a tubless setup- anyone used a air compressor at a petrol station
  • hora
    Free Member

Valves correct- Shrader and of course avoid OVERINFLATING which could be easily done.

Otherwise – anyone tried it/worked? I’ve replaced my gashed tyre so willing to give it another shot (LBS inflated last time as it wouldn’t go up with a track pump)..

DrP

Doubt it – it’ll be a regulated air flow – you need a torrent of air to inflate!

DrP

jekkyl

I’ve wondered this too, let us know how you get on whoreha!

rewski
    Free Member

I find the track pump works if you roll and push down the tyre/wheel to get a seal and inflate slowly with the track pump, once you feel it’s sealing give the pump some welly, I wouldn’t risk a garage pump.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Done it plenty of times. Not particularly fast inflation but a step up from the track pump on the odd occasion I can’t get it up by hand. Saves a trip to the LBS too, which is 15 minutes away versus 2 for the local garage. Have never had to resort to anything other than track pump or local garage.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Depends what kind of compressor they have. Tescos/sainsburys kind that you pay for no good. Old family run Garage I used to go to had a proper compressor with an air tank, that did it no problems at all….

Til they were run out of business by the Sainsburys garage down the road…

🙄

mtbfix

One of them ghetto inflators is what you want.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

yes, you need an old style one at petrol stations, not the digitally regulated ones.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Our local garage has an air line sticking out of the wall = plenty of air flow (but I’ve got a compressor so never needed the garage).
    The machines you pay for will probably be too slow.

poonprice
    Free Member

When the air flow starts try pressing the picture of the flat tyre, this does a much longer sustained blast of air.

I usually manage to inflate mine fine with a normal mini pump.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought about this. Do you rock up with all the parapehanlia? Ie washing up liquid solution and tyre milk?

stimpy
    Free Member

Agree on the old-style air compressor ones – garage round the corner from me has one and it works a treat if the tyre’s being a barsteward. Couple of quick blasts to get it mounted on the rim then back home with the trackpump to get to the pressure I want without going OTT and blasting the thing off the wheel.

ahwiles
    Free Member

there is an ‘inflate from flat’ option on the noo-fangled air supplies.

it’s still crap though…

shermer75 – Member

I thought about this. Do you rock up with all the parapehanlia? Ie washing up liquid solution and tyre milk?

that’s how i did it, 1 tyre actually went up, the other not so much.

i now use my trusty ghetto-bomb.

honourablegeorge

Have done, presta valve with core removed, worked perfectly.

tops5
    Free Member

Tried it a coupla times with presta valve/adaptor – broke the snapped the valve both times as you have to wrestle with the wand thingy to get it on.

Cheezpleez

Ghetto inflator is much easier – and probably more effective – than going to a garage. I’m surprised no one has produced a commercial version yet.

jsm

I’ve always used a co2 inflator I got from tkmaxx @ £4. The co2 I got online for peanuts (a tenner for 20?). After the tyres are on, use a removable core to deflate and then add tyre gloop and inflate with track pump now it’s seated.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Co2 to seat the tyre. Deflate, add sealant via removable core valve or pop a small bit of rim, reinflate with trackpump.

Don’t leave co2 in there with sealant, as it will turn the stuff into balls.

matther01
    Free Member

Read an article a few years ago where a bloke did this…tyre and rim exploded, shrapnel killed him.

I’ll try to find the article and post it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My new road tubeless set up went up as easy as pie with a track pump. I didn’t even have to pump fast! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Matther01 was a childs face harmed?

Northwind

matther01 – Member

Read an article a few years ago where a bloke did this…tyre and rim exploded

No you didn’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It cannot end well….

jordie
    Free Member

Oh badger always makes me chuckle lol!!!!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Used to pay the odd visit with fairy liquid, core remover, shraeder adapter.

Then I wised up and made a Ghetto inflator.
    Just buy a fizzy pop bottle and be done with it.

I bring it to races with me in case I need to change tyres before the race etc. Has never let me down, even on tyre/rim combos that I had difficulties with at an old skool garage air line. I think the rush of air in is faster than the garage compressor, but obviously in a much less sustained style, but enough to get the seating started.

dibboid
    Free Member

Go to your local car tyre garage they will use their air line. If it can mount a bmw x5 tubeless tyre then a 2.2 mtb tyre shouldn’t be a problem. I got some tyres fitted I was taking to the owner and he rides a Marin and was considering tl and he said I can take my tyres there whenever I want to blow up foc! Whoop! 🙂

dibboid
    Free Member

Read an article a few years ago where a bloke did this…tyre and rim exploded

probably the very old tubed commercial tyres ie 10.000×20 split rim that the newer tl 11r22.5 superceded as the old split rim used to dislodge and blow clean off the rim and it was a heavy bit of metal that went flying with 110psi behind it. They were known to kill/severely injury people.

But a bike tyre I doubt as mine went boom add I put to much in too quickly and it blew straight off the rim with stans fluid decorating myself and the inside of the local the garage. (Not the same one as mentioned above) 😳

hora
    Free Member

Im back. It didnt work. Fullstop. Then I pressed the flat tyre symbol. Bingo immediately it inflated and seated. Its sat on the drive at the moment 5m’s from the house 😆
    Question a tiny slither of the rubber rim strip is showing inbetween the rim/tyre. A prob? Im talking 1mm and about 10cm around the rim.

matther01
    Free Member

Northwind – someone posted the same thing on here in 2011…so either I’ve read it somewhere or its an urban myth (I’m still looking for the article…I know it exists and not just in my mind!).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Inflating a tubless setup- anyone used a air compressor at a petrol station’ is closed to new replies.