• This topic has 29 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kerv.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Inflatable Kayak's from Decathlon…WTF do you do with them?
  • lodious
    Free Member

They look like fun….but what would you do with one? Anybody tried them or similar? I’m looking at…..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/kcc-335-sirocco-2p-blue-66232472/

Would they be good fun with the family? Can you just rock up to some water and start paddling or do you need a licence / permission? Do they capsize? I want one, but I have no idea what i’d do with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of lakes around here that would be brilliant for paddling out and about on I reckon. Tempted!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Inflate it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lodious
    Free Member

I really fancy one, and i’m off to Wales in a couple of weeks camping by the sea..but I don’t really want to drown the kids….I wonder how safe they are?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got one Sevylor Yukon. Good fun, but you need one with a skeg. Much better than I expected and cool to be able to carry it with you back to the start on public transport. Though don’t be under the impression that it’s light, they’re really not. I’m a big guy and in it’s backpack it’s pretty hefty to carry – must be 25+kg all in.

It’d work on the sea providing the payload wasn’t too great as it tends to bend at the recommended pressure with a point load. Coped well with a combined load of about 35 stone (two people and camping kit).

cp

as safe as you make it – you sit on top rather than in, so if it capsizes there’s nothing to restrict you just popping off. take the usual life jacket precautions and then it’s up to you to decide if your kids will panic/can swim etc…

there’s nothing inherently dangerous about falling in a lake…

lodious
    Free Member

there’s nothing inherently dangerous about falling in a lake…

It might be cold though 🙁

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I took a tahiti (same maker and canoe not kayak) down a grade 1 and 2 stretch of whte water. Pretty near crapped myself over the first rapid, but after that was pretty impressed with how stable and confidence inspiring it was. Wouldn’t do anything ahrder, but on a lake should be safe enough as long as you’re confident in your general boat handling skills and properly equipped.

lodious
    Free Member

CK – what’s a skeg?

molgrips
    Free Member

Our kid can’t swim but I’m sure she’ll float in a lifejacket.

simon_g
    duntstick
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

thanks duntstick, was just about to reply 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

Cosybike now has a tandem, pedal mirage drive kayak for hire in scotland. All you need is a roof rack. Page and link will be live soon.

http://www.cosybike.co.uk

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks duntstick..looks like a good site.

the00
    Free Member

Any ideas how well they paddle compared to a rigid kayak?

sv

What I am planning to build this Spring, its currently three sheets of ply, a length of Ash, bucket of epoxy…

lodious
    Free Member

Jesus SV…how do you deflate that? 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A match?

molgrips
    Free Member

how do you deflate that?

Tell it its expensive new haircut looks stupid?

kerv
    Free Member

We’ve got one and it’s great, been down our local bit of the river Ouse on it and out at sea off the coast of Pembrokeshire. Lakes are pretty boring IMO and we found everywhere we tried to launch, it was either “no boats” or “you need a licence” etc’

lodious
    Free Member

kerv, how stable are they (have you turned it over yet?)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

SV can you buy plans to make that or are you making it up as you go along … I apologise if you are already a master boat builder 😉

sv

Jesus SV…how do you deflate that?

The problem is how am I going to ‘get it up’ never mind deflation 😉

Clicky for Song of the Paddle forum They are very friendly over there.

Edit: No never built a boat in my life! Selway Fisher Raven design £50 for the plans, there are free online plans about but prefer to purchase from a tried and tested designer. Plenty of info over on SOTP including build blogs etc.

lodious
    Free Member

Done a bit of research, sounds like the decathlon kayaks are pretty good for the money, might have a punt at the weekend.

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks for linky

saladdodger
    Free Member

We have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-3m-2-Man-Double-Inflatable-Kayak-Dinghy-Boat-Canoe-/310312153082?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_CanoesKayaks_Rafts_SM&hash=item48400baffa

impressive bit of kit inflates in 5 easy minutes bloody good fun highly recommended,but alas the paddles are shit

We have used ours in france 2 up with our retrevier at the helm ace fun

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

might have a punt at the weekend.

Good idea, if you don’t like that, then buy the inflatable kayak and try it on the Cam

kerv
    Free Member

Lodius sorry for the delayed response, tore myself away for a while! Nope not managed to overturn it yet and that’s with some pretty ham fisted and generally unpretty mounts and dismounts (or whatever the nautical terms are!)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable Kayak's from Decathlon…WTF do you do with them?’ is closed to new replies.