Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • infinite adjust seat posts, any point?
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m looking at an rsp post for my clown bike, presently I’ve got a KS in my “big” bike which is great and has “infinite adjustment” but I’m not sure what all the fuss is about.
    Am I just a rubbish rider? – quite possible as I don’t use words like gnar, shred and pin without wincing. do other people actually use more than up and down? is it because I’m tall so up and down is enough? or is infinite adjustment just selling us something we don’t need – overly sceptical I’m sure that never happens in th

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– overly sceptical I’m sure that never happens in th

honestly waiting to see what is nex

and yes I use my post in up/down/bit/some/more/less

bowie278
    Free Member

I couldn’t stand a fixed point post. Infinite adjustment all the way. If I’m doing techy climbing (narrow ruts etc.), or climbing in strong wind then I have it slightly lower than fully extended. If I’m riding quick flowy trails where I can squeeze in small amounts of sitting then I have it slightly lower than half way. Give it a go and see how you get on with your big bike. If it’s available then use it.

AlexSimon

I like
    Up
    Down
    Ever-so-slightly down (maybe half an inch or so) for techy flat or climbs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have two levs and wife has a reverb. In all honestly, they get ridden fully up, down a bit, or down a lot.

If it was a predetermined height each time, I’ve no idea how right those drops would be for us though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fixed up or down would be very restrictive for me. It was a key requirement to be fully adjustable.

A lot of it for me relates to I need slammed down for steep, but a lot of singletrack if I want a brief sit, I don’t want to sit at full height. Or rather I only ever use full height for a climb. I don’t ride with sky high seat ready to be thrown OTB.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve had gravity droppers with fixed 1″ and 4″ drops but I much prefer my Reverb with its multi adjustment. If I’m spending that sort of dosh on a dropper post then I want to be able to set it where I want, not where the post wants.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback I’m wondering if it is largely to do with my running the post at minimum insertion or there abouts any how, so it’s never really up as far as I would choose on a road Bike for instance ant way, even on climbs.

goodgrief
    Free Member

I think it a piece of mind issue for me, I know I can lower my post and it will stay where I put it without searching for a locking point. I rarely use anything but fully up/down though.

Superficial
    Free Member

Fully up
    Fully down
    80% up for techy climbs/ undulating
    50% up for slightly downhill pedally stuff

So yeah, I use the infinite adjust feature although I could probably get away with something like a spesh command post which has up/down/75%.

warpcow
    Free Member

I prefer my GD’s predetermined points. With infinite-adjust posts I find myself always dropping or raising just a little bit too far and trying to adjust again.

jam-bo

Not bothered about infinite adjust but much prefer the release action of my lev. The pin type posts are just too clunky.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Have a Command Post Blacklite with three positions.
    I’m very particular about saddle height and the 2nd position – 25mm lower than full height – is perfect for me. Each position is just right so no fiddling around getting it in the right place, just press and ‘click’ its there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your running at minimum insertion is the frame too small or the post too short?

mucker

Backlite Command post here, three fixed positions, perfect, more than that is just playing with yourself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True but the middle setting on most posts isn’t where I want it, so I’m not going to spend all that money on something that doesn’t work for me.

Northwind

Mine is almost always up or down, I had a 2-position gravity dropper but never made any use of the middle. Very occasionally I do use a 1 inch or so drop but I wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t have it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Partial drop is great for pedally tech as mentioned, it’s nice not having to twerq the saddle into the mid-pin location.

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be honest anyway, the Reverb is by far the most reliable (and I’m not saying it’s without faults itself. All droppers have issues), and that you can position where you want, or ignore the middle and just ride up and down, but most end up with Reverb when their others break or they see their riding buddies “other” brands constantly failing.

Northwind

deadkenny – Member

To be honest anyway, the Reverb is by far the most reliable

Gravity Dropper is definitely the most reliable tbh. It’s hard to compare the others but KS seem more reliable than the Reverb too. (my sample’s too small to be very useful but 2 KS posts, 5 years between them, both flawless) KS and Reverb are the most common but you hear of far more issues with the Rockshox.

lightning
    Free Member

I’ve never felt the need to fit a “dropper” seatpost on my bike.

My friend’s bike came with one fitted, and he says that he does use it, but would not pay £300 for one.
    I guess it may be of more use in extreme terrain or DH riding, rather than the rolling hills of the Derbyshire Peak District.

Northwind

Nah, it’s next to useless for downhill generally, and most useful for rolling terrain- downhill, you tend to just want your seatpost down, droppers are best when you’re doing varied terrain, pedal one second, techy the next.

lightning
    Free Member

Well, l think that is the kind of riding l do, and l never felt the need to change the height of my saddle.

When I’m not either fully up or down, I find just dropping it a bit for techy/flowy sections, doesn’t need to be an exact position.

For me, one of the best developments for MTB’ing – up there with discs and suspension.

chiefgrooveguru

Well, l think that is the kind of riding l do, and l never felt the need to change the height of my saddle.

I take it ‘lightning’ is an ironic description of your downhill pace?

Northwind

lightning – Member

Have you actually tried a dropper though? You might be surprised- lots of people are, it’s one of those things lots of people don’t know they want til they try it.

Kahurangi

Have you actually tried a dropper though? You might be surprised- lots of people are, it’s one of those things lots of people don’t know they want til they try it.

Doesn’t sound like he needs to try a dropper seat post. Sounds like he needs to try dropping his seat post.

🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

For me:
    Up
    Down
    About an inch down for wheelies.

That’s it.

benp1

Having tried riding with it down I’m sold on the idea, gives me more options as I like to pedal with it high

lightning
    Free Member

I have not actually tried a dropper post.

I guess l will buy one when l have the money. I like the look of the new Thomson one, where the lever can be under the saddle. As l have enough on my bars already.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yep…

If you ever want to ride quickly over rough terrain then (imo) you need to be able to get up off your seat sometimes whilst still keeping pedalling, this isn’t possible with a seat at proper climbing height as your legs can’t work properly to absorb any impacts. A full height, middle and drop post would be alright (Specialized?) but I reckon most would still want a bit of adjustment in the middle.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve never felt the need to fit a “dropper” seatpost on my bike.
    My friend’s bike came with one fitted, and he says that he does use it, but would not pay £300 for one.

Which one costs £300? My Reverb was £130 in a CRC sale (yes I’m smug about that 🙂 ) and it’s ace. The Gravity Dropper that I then gave to my wife was fine too – if a bit clunky. I do prefer infinite adjustment though – as above for techy climbs or pedally singletrack it’s nice to drop it slightly.

I guess l will buy one when l have the money. I like the look of the new Thomson one, where the lever can be under the saddle. As l have enough on my bars already.

I had a KS one with the lever under the saddle and it’s nowhere near as good as having it on the bars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a reverb, wish I’d got a gravity dropper.

Choice is usualy a good thing, but trying to find that ellusive ~1″ drop is a PITA, “too low, too high, too low, way too low, ohhh crap I’ve had to dab as I was too busy trying to adjust the saddle.” I’d rather it was just up, down, slightly inbetweeny.

Anyone want to swap?

I had a KS one with the lever under the saddle and it’s nowhere near as good as having it on the bars.

Whilst I kinda agree, my SS has just gained a bar mounted lockout. Feel’s wierd, if I added a dropper remote on the other side I’d have more controlls on the bars than on my first geared bike!

cookeaa

Dunno, I tend to drop mine a little bit maybe an inch for some stuff, parhaps halfway if I know there’s some sit down and pedal bits coming, or all the way if its a Gnar-fest…

I suppose a post with two or three fixed positions would do just as well when you think about it: say 25-30mm down, 50mm down and all the way 100-125mm thats about all I really need…

So yeah I’d consider it.

roverpig

Anyone want to swap?

What size is it? I’ve got a 27.2 (400mm 4″) Gravity Dropper Turbo that I might be willing to swap. Three positions (up, 1″ down and 4″ down) and pretty much bomb proof.

Northwind

Bar mounted levers are much more effective, underseat is still alright mind but for me largely served as a way of making me realise how much I wanted a bar mount.- it shows you the potential but doesn’t really deliver.

grum
    Free Member

NW+1

Whilst I kinda agree, my SS has just gained a bar mounted lockout. Feel’s wierd, if I added a dropper remote on the other side I’d have more controlls on the bars than on my first geared bike!

I’d much rather have a dropper lever on the bars than remote lockout personally.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Command Post Blacklite here. Up, nearly up, and down is all I’ve needed. I love the reassuring mechanical clunk it makes when it locks in too. You know where you’re at with it.

The nearly up position is often used and because it is the same position each time, I am used to its position and can exploit it effectively for techy climbs and pedally singletrack. Maybe it’s my OCD, but if I attempted to find this, very important, nearly up position every time with an infinite position post, I know I would get pissed off that it was always going to be ever so slightly different.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘infinite adjust seat posts, any point?’ is closed to new replies.