• This topic has 29 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Infected bites- how do you stop them ballooning (then infected)
  • hora
    Free Member

Felt nipping on my arm above my elbow on Sundays ride…within a few hours the bites ballooned/pussed up and now infected.

I’ve taken anti-histamines but anything else?

I get infected bites on every ride where I have exposed skin in Summer 🙁

stumpy01

Wear insect repellant to prevent being bitten in the first place.

If you do get bitten, have some savlon/germolene on hand and slap it on as soon as possible.
    Germolene probably better as I think it has a local anaesthetic affect.

Don’t pick/scratch it.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t pick/scratch? I woke up in the middle of the night to ‘find myself’ auto-scratching as I woke up

wwaswas

not trying to be funny but you may have bacteria living on your skin which are opportunistic when there is a puncture from a bite.

do other cuts/grazes do similar things?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

t trying to be funny but you may have bacteria living on your skin

That sounds horable 😯

binners

Elephantiasis of the testicles again Hora?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but you may have bacteria living on your skin which are opportunistic when there is a puncture from a bite.

MAY ?? I would say it was certain unless you’ve just been scrubbed with bleach!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I woke up in the middle of the night to ‘find myself’ auto-scratching as I woke up

I have done that too – then woken to find white pus squirting everywhere.

toys19
    Free Member

I use a bite stick, which I have in my wingnut pack always. Its got ammonia in it, you stick it on as soon as you motice the bite (sting or itch) and seems to make the itch/swelling/infection not happen. Stinks like wee but then so do I.

wwaswas

MAY ?? I would say it was certain unless you’ve just been scrubbed with bleach!

I meant more than/different type to ‘the norm’.

but being sfb, you probably already knew that and posted anyway 😉

stumpy01

hora – Member
    Don’t pick/scratch? I woke up in the middle of the night to ‘find myself’ auto-scratching as I woke up

Blob of germolene/savlon/anthisan before bed time & stick a plaster over it?? Just a thought, as contact with your sheet/duvet/flannel pyjamas might be irritating it, causing you to ‘auto-scratch’.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but being sfb, you probably already knew that and posted anyway

I was thinking it would have to be a very poor species of bacteria NOT to be highly opportunistic…

maycontainnuts

I have done that too – then woken to find white pus squirting everywhere.

Is everyone just going to let that comment pass without so much as a fnar fnar?

hora
    Free Member

Where do I find the bite stick?

I already have a similar product. Binners bites down on a stick whilst I take him like a lion leaping up against/onto a safari landrover.

toys19
    Free Member

The one I use is called after bite, you can get it on amazon for 65p or in boots for about 4 quid. Mine is 4 years old and still works like a charm.

anc
    Free Member

TCP, it stinks but it kills the bugs in wounds or bites effectively. Unlike savlon etc which only does half a job.

hora
    Free Member

Well I’m now on Flucloxacillin. Also bought some TCP and plasters etc.

toys19
    Free Member

What! Blimey they must be bad.

hora
    Free Member

Same as a few years ago. Redness started radiating and tracking up my arm.

skiprat
    Free Member

Trust me Mark, this stuff works. Won’t help on these bites but will stop you getting more.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I get this too. Seems most times i get bitten i end up at the docs for some antibiotics. Last time though, i swore i had an infection – red, swollen and very hot leg – the vet told me it was a mere alergic reaction. Sent me away to take antihistamines for a few days and see how it went – and guess what – it went away after a while 😀
    These days, i just keep covered, use seccy repellent and Pirotin type things if i do get bitten. It’s a pain in the arse, but not life threatening.

retro83
    Free Member

skiprat – Member

Trust me Mark, this stuff works. Won’t help on these bites but will stop you getting more.

+1 on that, I’m a mosquito magnet and that stuff keeps ’em off.

Flucoxicilin will sort out the infection pretty quickly, but expect a fair amount of ‘juice’

hora
    Free Member

Skippy’

Its a toss up between putting on insect repellent or……contracting skin cancer later on by not putting on skin (sun) block though.

Wearing pants is bad enough in the sun 😐

retro83
    Free Member

In that case, I can recommend sun tan stuff with insect repellant in it. The one I’ve got is boots own brand. Nowhere near as good as the jungle stuff, but it’s better than nowt

hora
    Free Member

Reluctant – Member

What blood type are you?

Reluctant
    Free Member

O rheasus monkey as far as i remember. 😆

Seriously – i haven’t got a clue.Would that have any effect on suseptability to infection or alergic reaction?

hora
    Free Member

No idea but missus is O and Im AB- and not once on holiday (With a room full of Mozzies etc) has she been targetted/bitten.

skiprat
    Free Member

Only need a few dabs of Jungle though…just put sun cream on first, then a couple of drops after.

As for anyone who says ‘don’t use it, it’s got DEET in it’, just make sure you wash it off each time you use it. And in this country, i don’t think we’d use it enough to have to worry.

binners

Hora doesn’t have blood in his veins, he has fork oil

hora
    Free Member

Come to the Peaks on Sat binners.

I will lay on a mental buffet of dirty jokes for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Infected bites- how do you stop them ballooning (then infected)’ is closed to new replies.