Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Infant Bike Helemt – With min rear overhang ?
  • rickt
    Free Member

Infant Bike Helmet – With min rear overhang ?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a Helmet, 44cm or just above with very min rear overhang (for a bike trailer)

Thanks.

bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, it has to be said: they’re in a trailer, why do they need a helmet?

rickt
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Okay, it has to be said: they’re in a trailer, why do they need a helmet?

Because when you have 2 kids in a duo trailer which has a roll bar, all it takes is a hard knock in the road / trail and a head hitting the metal roll bar pillar is the last thing you want.

csb

Planet X did one with a flattish back that is perfect for the kiddy seat, MET elfo s. Smallest we could find.

bencooper
    Free Member

I have a kid. I know what it’s like to obsessively worry about safety. But really, the risk of them hitting their heads in a trailer is so small if you’re going to worry about that then you should make them wear helmets while walking too.

Just IMHO, of course.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Uvex and cratoni both do some decent infant helmets. I just ordered a few different ones from crc and kept the best fitting.

WillH

Why not get some foam pipe lagging and cover the bars? Doesn’t need to be outrageously thick, just enough to soften any impact.

kayak23

Dirt lids tend to overhang less as they don’t have the sticky out aerodynamic bit…

Maybe some D30 beanies..

danrandon
    Free Member
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

Hi Rickt – my son has just grown out of his old helmet – it’s sized 45cm – 50cm. If you’re near Manchester you’re welcome to have it – otherwise they’re not too hard to find.

Not sure what you mean by overhang at the back. Are you just wanting a shape that doesn’t stick out so they can rest their head back into the chair ?

I regularly have 2 kids (aged 2 and 4) in the trailer. They sometimes bump heads together when we’re going over rough ground, so crash helmets are good for that too !

rockfield
    Free Member

Bontrager little dipper is really good and comes with flames on it!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Met Elfo for little ones.
    Uvex kids Hero for the next size up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Abus for us – they did the smallest one we could find.

Useful in trailers for the same reason racing drivers wear them in cars. The rollcage isn’t perfect, and the spaces in between are just fabric so it’s easy to imagine see a rock or tree intruding into it. Plus heads fly about a lot and in a 2 kid trailer the heads are only a few inches from the sides.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

to imagine a scenario you really don’t want to think about, if a car hits the trailer at a speed which doesn’t mean instant flattening, you probably want that head to have some kind of protection around it.

rickt
    Free Member

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations.

@DiscJockey – thanks for the offer, im not too far away, but just that far to make it worth while but thank you anyway.

In regards to the ideas foam etc, its not possible due to the way the cover thread through the roll bars.

My concerns are them both hitting heads and the bars… plus its a good habit that bike equals helemt.

Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Infant Bike Helemt – With min rear overhang ?’ is closed to new replies.