• This topic has 110 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Inexplicably expensive things
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

As mentioned, definitely the Isle of White Ferry – nuts!
    Tesco – every time I go in for a couple of bits it cost £40 and I leave feeling bum raped. Don’t get that at Aldi or Waitrose.
    Beds n mattresses.
    Astro turf
    Sky tv
    Starbucks/Costa if you have anything as well as coffee, you get fleeced
    Parking

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, especially the ones at trail centres 😈

oink1
    Free Member

Naim equipment – but oh so worth it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never used but apparently the Heathrow express costs more per mile that the Space Shuttle did.
    Common sense – must be expensive going by the amount you see

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the Heathrow express costs more per mile that the Space Shuttle did.

No WiFi on the shuttle though.

Re weddings, as mentioned earlier;

Weddings are far harder for the ladies. We’ve got one coming up soon. I’ll be wearing my morning suit, as per. Tie and cufflink choice is about all I have to consider. Mrs CFH has tried about 438 dresses, 271 hats and 328 pairs of shoes.

Chaps get it easy. And cheap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on the tea and coffee this sums it up

whats the phrase? Know the cost of everything and the value of nothing

antigee

dog shampoo how many x the price of human shampoo?

but 2 entry level bugers

next time order 2 buger shugers and see what that costs you – if they say they don’t do it – say you know that the its the owners speciality

GrahamS

Weddings ..
    Chaps get it easy. And cheap.

You’ve clearly never had to pay for a kilt!

(Though admittedly, unlike wedding dresses, at least a decent Prince Charlie can be re-used at social events for the rest of your life)

FuzzyWuzzy

Eye moisturising spray, ironically it’s eye-wateringly expensive…

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Bromptons – expensive, continue to hold their value though”

Bromptons aren’t ‘inexplicably’ expensive though. The frames are made in the UK, and the company is based in London, so that goes quite a long way o explain why they are relatively expensive.

“Two hundred quid and you’re up and running in a trade (or even just a hobbyist)? That’s a bargain.”

Now factor in the years of learning a craft. You can’t reasonably put a price on that at all, it’s impossible.

In my experience, people like seamstresses get paid little more than minimum wage, mainly. These aren’t lucrative trades.

In reality, most things really aren’t ‘inexplicably expensive’; there’s invariably an explanation, which the person complaining about the cost of something, may well be ignorant of. Even if the explanation realy is as simple as ‘someone wants to make money’.

The only thing I really struggle to understand the cost of, is certain services, such as ‘consultancy’. For example, why is the proposed (and now possibly scraped) Garden Bridge going to cost taxpayers £22 million, even if it never materialises? If very little work has actually been done, and no materials/labour/machinery paid for, where’s the money gone?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/taxpayers-face-22million-bill-if-boris-johnsons-garden-bridge-project-collapses-a7356181.html

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A decent .22 RF target rifle – makes mountain biking look cheap!

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sliced ham.

The reformed rubbish in the supermarket. Pig meat is usually cheap, even more so when you mechanically reclaim it from the bits heading for the bin. Stick it back together with some water and other rubbish and hey presto a few quid for a few slices. It doesn’t even taste nice?!

matt_outandabout

VW’s.
    Most car spare parts – the cost of the parts vs full car is huge difference.

shermer75
    Free Member

Euros and Dollars lolzzzzzzzzzxx

weeksy

Michael kors!

£90 for a purse. I felt violated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only thing I really struggle to understand the cost of, is certain services, such as ‘consultancy’. For example, why is the proposed (and now possibly scraped) Garden Bridge going to cost taxpayers £22 million, even if it never materialises? If very little work has actually been done, and no materials/labour/machinery paid for, where’s the money gone?

I do work I get paid for it, my brain and time are what you are paying for with stuff like that.
    So a project to be scoped, what do we need?
    Architects, Designers, Planning people, a study as to what the impact/benefit will be on top of that sounds like they may have bought land (compulsory purchase? hard to sell on at the same value with the prospect of a bridge at some point) then sounds like the project has already had contracts signed that will have break clauses/penalties (as somebody has allocated a workforce for the job above other projects) and probably shoddy contract writing again…

Sometimes the most profitable jobs are the ones you don’t do but also when was the last time you worked for free?

tlr

Bikes on planes.

tjagain

Inexplicably expensive – bicycle chain lube. You can pay £5+ for a 100ml bottle of solvent containing a little wax or you can pay £20 for KILO of lubrication wax

mechanicaldope

Make-up. Don’t ask how I know…

hooli

Isle of Wight ferry prices

Try going to Isle of Man when and event is on, IOW ferry will feel like pocket change!

Houns

Tampons/Panty liners etc. I do think these should be free for Women

deepreddave
    Free Member

Soft drinks in pubs (and yes I understand the facilities cost). Nice TA extract ^^^^.

Management consultants. Dispensers of common sense and logic using nothing but buzz words and then leaving before you have to undo most of what they suggested. Ask your employees and really listen to what they tell you for free!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tlr – Member
    Bikes on planes.

Your luggage goes on via an automated conveyor most of the way gets dispensed and packed nicely, your bike gets manually handled most of the way to the plane then needs packing as it’s a funny shape and size, same on the other end (I know the baggage guys well) that costs more, on the airlines that it costs the most you are picking the cheapest possible fare then everything else goes on top. My bike has flown as part of my luggage allowance for the last 4 years for no extra.
    Sorry to bring reality back

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – because there’s quite clearly a significantly greater inherent cost to the beer which often costs the same (and it doesn’t take anywhere near as much staff time to serve a soft drink as a cup of hot water with lemon in a cafe).

I agree with the general point behind the TA reply, but it’s slightly fallacious because they appear to be trying to suggest a single customer should cover the whole of the overhead.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not convinced that “somebody wanting to make a lot of money” is that explicable a reason for things being expensive. Though I suppose if you’re going to buy something which is heavily marketed then it is explicable that it is expensive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I agree with the general point behind the TA reply, but it’s slightly fallacious because they appear to be trying to suggest a single customer should cover the whole of the overhead.

a customer sitting there drinking hot water with lemon being tight is taking up the space of a real life paying one. The costing is about right though, another cost but not value thing

DezB
    Free Member

Just got a John Lewis ad emailed:

Social by Jason Atherton White Wine Glasses, Set of 4
    £38.00

They’re wine glasses! They look exactly the same as the 50p each ones I got in Asda. How are they 19 times better??

FuzzyWuzzy

Add John Lewis furniture to my list, I’ve never bought any and expect it’s well made but it mostly looks cheap, dated and rubbish (I’m thinking sofas and arm chairs here) yet costs a crazy amount

DezB
    Free Member

Looks jolly comfortable for £400 though – http://www.johnlewis.com/house-by-john-lewis-louis-small-sofa/p1555152 😕

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SRAM Eagle
    Bottled water, especially at W.H Smith
    Trains, especially the Heathrow Express and the Caledonian Sleeper
    The LED headlight option on a T6 Transporter (£1600 to you sir)
    Venison
    Arc’teryx jackets

DezB
    Free Member

Designer scarfs! Just seen one for over £50. For a straight knitted bit of wool blend with a badge sewn on it.. what kind of twit..?

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Inexplicably expensive things’ is closed to new replies.