Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Induction porridge
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Cooked some porridge for the first time on our new induction hob this morning.

Things didn’t go well.

I’m used to using gas, so normal method is 1 part oats, 1.5 parts milk, 0.5 parts water in a pan, wack the heat to max, bring to almost boil then turn down and simmer for 6-10 mins.

Tried this approach with the induction but the milk just burned onto the bottom of the pan before it even tried to boil. I managed to catch it early and fish out the burnt bits, but even with the heat on low (below a simmer) the milk would still burn on the pan. The pans are circulon non-stick, so it burns then floats off into the porridge!

Wondering of going less milk, more water may help but really hope its something i’m doing wrong?!?

Drac

but really hope its something i’m doing wrong?!?

Yeah. You bought an induction hob.

Porridge is a simple as you say really, hit milk just off the boil and add porridge oat, simmer until they go to the right consistency.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I didn’t really change my technique on the induction hob.
    I tend to have it on very low for 10 minutes or so (normally while I have my shower, sort stuff out etc.), which warms the milk up slightly and gives it enough time to soak in the milk, then whack it up hotter for a minute or two at the end to get some proper heat in. I’ve never had the power anything like max, on any hob. That said I have noticed that it does seem to burn more to the bottom of the pan when cooking anything too hot, but given I don’t normally cook my porridge like that, it’s not an issue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get over the prejudice and use the microwave.

Porrige
    Veg
    Hot chocolate
    Instant custard

All better in the microwave.

Having said that, I lived without one for couple of years recently and discovered a long list of things that do better in the real oven.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You’re better off cooking the porridge in the traditional way – 3 minutes in the microwave.

mrjmt
    Free Member

(ignoring comments about induction or using microwave as it’s in now)

I’ll try reversing the technique then, start slow then crank it up a bit.

mogrim

2 minutes in the microwave should be enough.

Cougar

I’ve no experience of induction hobs, but milk ‘catching’ and burning would suggest to me either too high a heat, not enough stirring, or both.

Do induction hobs get hotter than gas ones? Perhaps ‘max’ on the new cooker is like turning it up to 11 on the gas.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Do induction hobs get hotter than gas ones?

I’ve only cooked with one a couple of times, but they heat up more quickly for sure.

I suppose that as the pan is essentially the hotplate, that is why milk doesn’t like it. Be gentle and stir a lot, would be the approach I guess.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of induction hobs, but milk ‘catching’ and burning would suggest to me either too high a heat, not enough stirring, or both.

I can’t stand porridge but this sounds like the most likely reason.

Do induction hobs get hotter than gas ones? Perhaps ‘max’ on the new cooker is like turning it up to 11 on the gas

They can do yes although less like 11 more like eleventystupid (HTJI) as some have a setting that’s there to boil water and will do so quicker than an electric kettle. Maxing out an induction hob is something that should probably be avoided.

All my experience with induction hobs had been in a cook school

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ll meet you half way molgrim 2 mins 30 seconds 🙂

tthew

Is you pan OK for an induction hob? Not all are suitable, though I’m not sure which ones work or don’t.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Is you pan OK for an induction hob? Not all are suitable, though I’m not sure which ones work or don’t

If it wasn’t suitable it wouldn’t heat at all. If a magnet sticks to it then it’s suitable, if it doesn’t it’s not.

irelanst
    Free Member

It happens with custard as well. I think the problem is that the bottom of the pan gets hot really quickly and the porridge (or custard) is too viscous to mix on its own due to convection, so the bottom just gets hotter and hotter until it burns. The simple answer is to stir it.

bearnecessities

Porrige
    Veg
    Hot chocolate
    Instant custard

Sounds like the kind of thing I’d have made when parents first trusted me at home alone.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like a diffuser plate might help with milk/sauces/porridge.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Induction-Converter-Diffuser-Stainless/dp/B00DOZXK4G

kcal

1 part porridge, 2 parts water, pinch of salt, steep overnight.
    in morning, put on the gas (quite low), add bit of milk, bring to Thunderbirds bubble state (apparently all the foaming hot pools beloved of Gerry Anderson were coloured porridge), don’t boil, bring back to low heat for a bit, serve with either milk, yoghurt or cream (now ditched as on diet 🙁 )

mrjmt
    Free Member

OK, I’ll have another go tomorrow, more stirring and lower heat. The more I think about it, the more I think it was because I just cranked it up too soon. I’ll start somewhere around 4 I think, hopefully it’ll heat slow enough for the convection in the milk to start moving around.

Pans are deffo induction compatible, and STW approved!

Not sure about the diffuser plate, don’t really understand why that’s needed with induction as the heat is fully diffused by the pan base?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Camping stove? Make every morning a mini adventure.

My landlord has an electric hob and stainless steel pans. Given up trying to make porridge in a pan, the microwave is so much easier.

irelanst
    Free Member

Not sure about the diffuser plate, don’t really understand why that’s needed with induction as the heat is fully diffused by the pan base?

Induction hobs don’t really turn down, they just fire in shorter bursts as you turn them down. So you could use a diffuser plate as a method to increase the thermal mass of the pan to smooth out the heat delivery, which will reduce the risk of burning. Of course you could just buy cast iron pans which work much better on an induction hob than anything else – or just stir you porridge!

teacake
    Free Member

Doesn’t need to be near boiling, just above gelatinisation temperature. Which for oats is 60 ish depending on yer oats.

teacake
    Free Member

mrjmt
    Free Member

This is getting technical now…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought you just buy it in a pot and add boiling water ? :mrgreen:

kcal

what!!

mm, tapioca 🙂

benp1

Who doesn’t love a good first world problem – Microwave FTW

I just ask my butler is I really CBA

Or just go straight for Bircher Muesli

DavidB
    Free Member

I use kcal’s method but eat mine raw from the fridge with prunes and yoghurt.

onehundredthidiot

NO milk to make porridge a little to float it in the bowl.

ransos
    Free Member

Get over the prejudice and use the microwave.

It has a better texture made in the pan, and if you’re making it for a few people, it’s quicker.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Induction porridge’ is closed to new replies.