Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • induction hobs/power requirements
  • cranberry
    Free Member

I am replacing my oven and thinking that it might be a good idea to replace the current gas hob with a safer/easier to clean induction jobby.

I’ve seen 2 Bosch units – one 3.7 Kw and one 7.2 Kw for 4 standard sized hobs – what sort of power do you need for a 4 ring cooker ? Is one underpowered/the other over powered ?

If I go for one or the other what do I need in terms of electricity supply – my apartment was built in the 70’s and still has a ceramic fuse box – am I going to have to replace it with a modern unit ( I probably should anyway ) and will I likely need to run new cable to the kitchen?

Lucas
    Free Member

I have a 5 ring induction which was put in when I redid the kitchen a few years ago, the whole room was being rewired anyway but we had a big fat dedicated cable put in (I can’t remember the rating but its bigger than the oven cable and bigger than most cables for electric showers), that went to 2 RCD’s and from those when a fat wire to each side of the hob. The electrician was not happy to rewire the kitchen without some work to the consumer unit to bring it up to date (and it did not look that old).

So I would suggest that you will be replacing the consumer unit and running a fat cable to the hob with an RCD between the hob and consumer unit.

The induction hob is great though, it boils fast, really easy to clean and you can set the time when something will turn off – you want to cook your pasta for 11 minutes, set it for 11 minutes and after that it will beep and turn off. You also don’t need to turn them off – just take the pan off and it will turn off automatically (you have to remember this when you use someone gas hob though!)

I think ours has 8KW on one side and 10kw on the other. The 8KW is the 4 hob side and the 10Kw is a single beast of a ring (I think!)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

what sort of power do you need for a 4 ring cooker ? Is one underpowered/the other over powered ?

Ours is around 11kw IIRC for 4 ring hob + oven. Big 40A cable, dedicated FCU trip.

Power reqs are much like a big electric shower.

am I going to have to replace it with a modern unit ( I probably should anyway ) and will I likely need to run new cable to the kitchen?

yes, and yes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jfletch
    Free Member

I think ours has 8KW on one side and 10kw on the other.

😯

richc
    Free Member

Gas is ~ 2.8p kWh, electric is ~ 11p kWh.

If you have gas, why on earth would you be using electric for heating or cooking?

rwamartin
    Free Member

Without being on site it’s difficult to say exactly, but based on what you have said so far I think you will be needing a new consumer unit.

The cooker will need a dedicated circuit going via a cooker isolator. 6mm cable will carry 47 amps assuming it is run in the wall and there’s no insulation around it.

Assuming a worst case, 11kW is 47.8 amps. However, with a cooker circuit you can apply what is known as diversity to the sizing because the load is variable due to the thermostats causing the load to switch on and off.

The rule of thumb is 10 amps plus 30% of the remaining load. So, that will be 10 + (30% of 37.8) = 21.34 amps. This could be run in 2.5mm cable assuming the same installation criteria as above.

In reality I would install a 6mm cable on a 40amp MCB.

Rich.

Lucas
    Free Member

I can’t remember so I looked it up:

Front right 2.2 kW (160 mm diameter)

Front left 2.8 kW (180 mm diameter)

Back right 3.1 kW (210 mm diameter)

Back left 2.8 kW (180 mm diameter)

Right 3.6 kW (280 mm diameter)

I was quite a bit out!

cranberry
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. Most helpful and the bloke at the kitchen place said pretty much the same thing ( after sucking through his teeth and going “ohhh, it’s going to cost you..” ).

Anyway, the new oven is ordered for fitting on Friday, the induction hob will have to wait for a little while as I’ve already spent half a month’s wages since I left work this afternoon. :-0

jambaron
    Free Member

Bosch do a 13amp 4 ring induction hob. Perfect for replacing a gas hob. You can also buy 13amp single ovens so you may not need to modify the electrics too much.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Jamberon is correct, Bosch and Siemens both have a 13a 4 ring induction hob in the range now that is suitable to go on the ring main, so you don’t always need a behemoth cable to power one.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Gas is ~ 2.8p kWh, electric is ~ 11p kWh.

If you have gas, why on earth would you be using electric for heating or cooking?

For heating, via a boiler, you’re right – condensing gas boilers are upwards of 90%.

Hobs aren’t clear cut – a lt of the heat from a gas hob goes into the room so in theory induction is significantly more efficient. All the energy goes into the pan and the hob underneath remains (relatively) cool

cranberry
    Free Member

For me the speed, cleanliness and safety of an induction hob are all good reasons for buying one, and Simons.. is right, with gas there is a LOT of wastage.

richc
    Free Member

Hobs aren’t clear cut – a lt of the heat from a gas hob goes into the room so in theory induction is significantly more efficient. All the energy goes into the pan and the hob underneath remains (relatively) cool

Wouldn’t it have to be ~ 370% more efficient in order to cost the same amount to heat the same item?

I have an induction cooker, but would have gone for gas if I had it to the house as they are cheaper to buy and run.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Historically I had always been of the view gas is better (control etc) for cooking than electric. Having now used modern decent standard induction that would be my first choice, the low heat control is far superior to gas IMO. OP don’t forget you’ll probably need many new pans, depends what you have now though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘induction hobs/power requirements’ is closed to new replies.