Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Induction hobs and pan sizes.
  • granny_ring

So still yet to decide on which one to get lol….
    Having read loads or reviews some have said that if the pans don’t cover all of the ring then it wont work, is that correct?
    Or is it only on some hobs?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Basically yes, if the pan is too small the ring tends not to work ime. Obviously there is some margin for error but as a general principal its true

granny_ring

Ok so I need to get one that has at least one small ring on it.
    Can’t remember which one it was but the smallest ring size was 180mm diameter which is bigger than most of my pans….

k-sugden
    Free Member

Just tried my smallest pan 15cm on the largest ring 23cm boiled water no problem. My hob is from John Lewis and made by AEG

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes I would say so, ours has 3 sizes – 1 large, 1 small and 2 medium. Will ask the wife as she chose it and always does lots of research

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My induction just has 4 massive squares, how does That work then cos non of my pans are big enough or square.

cranberry
    Free Member

B A Nana – some of the newer hobs auto-sense the size of the pan, over a number of zones – it is quite useful in some cases, though where you have a discreet ring for a pan you are more likely not to end up with the pan part on and part off a zone.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ah, was a bit worried I’d been sold a very expensive bottle of snake oil

jambalaya
    Free Member

I just asked my wife, our hob is “old school” (10+ yrs) and as per @cranberry some of the newer ones have multipe rings below the surface and switch on what’s required depending on pan used.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

So what you’re telling granny ring might just be hog wash then? (Unless he’s thinking of buying a 10 yo hob or something very cheap).

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mine looks like this:

Have tried a milk pan with base of about 8cm and that was fine on the big ring – detected when pan removed. They are cast iron pans though. Perhaps some of the ferrous insert type pans don’t have enough oomph. **** love that hob, £100 off the bay and £7 for a set of enamelled iron pans 🙂

granny_ring

Thanks for input.
    £100 😯 anymore going any links?
    Have seen this Whirlpool which might do.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It was listed as used, but by an old couple who’d had a kitchen refit and replaced it – was in really good condition. A quick glance on eBay suggests that with a bit of patience something good will come up locally. You are taking a punt that it’ll be operational though – so worth looking at user history as evidence of trading would put me off.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s the sort of thing I have, you can just plonk pans/griddles/kettles of any shape or size, anywhere on mine incl across zones.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Induction hobs and pan sizes.’ is closed to new replies.