Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Induction hobs
  • jon1973
    Free Member

….would you buy one? They look very easy to clean…. I know you need special pots and pans, and you they do seem to be a lot more expensive. Anyone have one? Would you recommend them?

colp

We’ve got a Neff one.
    It’s good, heat things up really quickly, safer than standard electric or gas.
    new pans are all labelled whether they will work.

parkesie
    Free Member

Have an ikea one and its fab works with the pots and pans we had so didnt have to worry about that. Cant think of any draw backs wasnt even particularly expensive.

andyl
    Free Member

Personally I prefer them even to gas due to added safety. Control is excellent and you get features like hob timers. Response is faster than gas too.

Woks can be tricky but get yourself a decent modern one ( le cruset is my favourite) to go with the induction hob. Might not be the same as a traditional wok on large gas burner but an excellent alternative that cooks well. You do get a few seconds to toss food before the hob shuts off due to no pan.

Everything else works as normal but faster and with more control. Steel roasting trays can work too for making gravy from the meat juices.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s ace. Really quick to heat up (can boil a pan of water in seconds) and as long as your pan is metal it’ll work

Did a curry in a cast iron casserole on it last night

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are not a “budding” chef like me who prefer to use turbo gas burner when cooking with wok then you should fine with induction hobs for all your cooking. Well most western style cooking can do without turbo gas burner as far as I know.

I have a bloody induction cooker that comes with my rented flat so when it comes to cooking with wok (need to use flat bottom wok – yuk!) it pisses me off big time. I use a wok for my cooking 90% of the time so it is an arse for me to stir fry as I cannot get the heat up quickly enough. Once the wok is heated up I need to stir fry in small batches otherwise I would end up boiling the bloody food.

Also I have to spend hours (minimum 3 hours) just to season the bloody wok (you burn the wok at high heat until the carbon steel becomes blue black in colour) and even after several hours I could only season 3/4 of the wok because there is no bloody flame to burn the remaining 1/4 of the wok near the handle. I had to hold the bloody wok at an angle when seasoning so it remained in contact with the hob. Dammit!

For other style of cooking induction hob is fine … you can boil your food to death or you can steam your food.

I miss gas cooker me. 🙁

I remember many years ago in Coventry where we used to cook with gas cooker and when our wok started to spit flame up to about 12 inches high (like in the restaurant) the locals/neighbours started to panic, while me and my Japanese flatmate (trained with Jap chef for a while) just let it burned for few seconds then put the wok cover on. No more flame. Easy. What to panic? We cooked like that everyday … 😆

This is how we season a wok.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ[/video]

paladin

I have a neff induction hob, love it!
    Take a magnet with you when you go pan shopping, I think the little induction label is reserved for more expensive pans, when cheaper pans which would also work are available, they’re just not labeled as induction.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I used to prefer gas, but there is no mains gas where we now live.
    We bought a cooker with an induction hob. It has better control than our old gas hob and can go hotter too. The only thing I miss are an open flame to blister peppers and chili’s skins (use a mini blow torch) and bring able to fit a proper wok on it (although the Mrs doesn’t miss the smell). Ours has a turbo mode that cooks hot enough for a stir fry, it’s limited to 10 minutes, but that’s enough.

Oh yeah, and our mocha pot and tefal frying pan don’t work on it. You can get an adapter plate for the mocha pot (which costs the same as a compatible pot) and we replaced the frying pan with an IKEA one which has been good enough (but not great).

andyl
    Free Member

I always planned to fit a large single gas ring hooked up to an LPG bottle in my flat for using the wok as I had no gas in the kitchen and at the time induction were too expensive so had a glass ceramic hob.

hora
    Free Member

Treat them well and they are great. I’d have another. No noise, smell etc.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve used my mum’s a few times – very neat to look at, very powerful for cooking and nice and controllable. When I finally sort my own kitchen out I’ll be fitting one.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Had an Ikea one fitted about 9 months ago. Very pleased with it. Had no faff with pans, turned out my trusty set I’ve had the last 15 years worked fine.
    In an ideal world I’d stay with gas, due to aforementioned wok issues, I find gas just that little bit more responsive plus I also like the look of gas a bit more (even though it’s harder to clean). However when we got it fitted we were moving the kitchen to a room without any gas supply currently so saved hassle on that front, and safer with kids about. So all round induction is probably the more practical choice.

hora
    Free Member

What I like about the induction hobs is they are so easy to clean. VERY easy.

Albanach
    Free Member

We have got an Electrolux one and really like it. Very easy to clean, heats up extremely fast and quick to boil. Very controllable and like the ability to control to zones in one so you can place your roasting down and get even heat all over when making gravy. Stir frying isn’t a problem as when you remove the pan to toss veg ROTC the zone turns off but as soon as you place back on it automatically starts again.

hooli

I prefer gas but as we don’t have mains gas at this house, induction is the best alternative.

jate
    Free Member

We have an Esse with an induction hob. Mrs Jate’s decision and though it pains me to admit it, she was spot on.
    Easy to clean, totally controllable, doesn’t get particularly hot to the touch, automatically switches off when you remove a pan. Some of our zones have a feature which allows you to have a zone at max heat and then automatically have the heat stepped down when it reaches temperature. Perfect for boiling water without having to keep an eye on things.
    Only annoyance is the aluminium frying pans etc that we’ve got which of course don’t work with it.

zilog6128

Recently bought a portable 3kW unit for brewing beer (did look into replacing my conventional electric hob but an induction hob with a big enough zone was serious £££). It’s great! Just need to get a nice, flat-bottomed steel wok now and I can do a proper stir-fry for the first time in years!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Induction hobs’ is closed to new replies.