Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Indoor floor protection whilst doing bike maintenance?
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

The shed is getting fuller by the day so I think from now on I’m going to have to do all my bike maintenance in the kitchen. However will need some protection on the floor to protect the vinyl from damage e.g. spills, dropping things etc, and to avoid getting on the wrong side of the missus! What would people recommend?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Moar vinyls

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wife’s best table cloth

andyl
    Free Member

wreck the vinyl and use it as an excuse to put a tiled floor down? 😀

d45yth
    Free Member

Either a non-slip hallway runner or an off-cut of lino.

carlos
    Free Member

Another shed or at least a bigger one?
    Carpet or Vinyl off cut?
    Do it in the lounge?

🙂

rattrap
    Free Member

Some years ago I, ahem, ‘acquired’ a large entrance mat (rubber one side, carpet the other)

has been my faithful trusty carpet protector ever since – brilliant.

IA

I use a bit of tarp.

watsontony
    Free Member

you could get one of those hope workshop mats they wear trying to sell for £75

youngrob

I use a car cover meant for dogs, it’s really thick so prevents spills going onto the carpet of my rented flat. Ideal.

DanW
    Free Member

Big ol’ cardboard box opened up or a thickish rug do the trick. Found a rug to be best as it absorbs the spills and is easier to roll up and throw all the mud away outside.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I would recommend clearing out your shed.

DanW
    Free Member

Much warmer inside though isn’t it 😀

matttromans
    Free Member

One side of a cardboard bike box works very well for me – its the perfect bike size!

cardo

Try a charity shop and see if they sell those exercise mats that ladies use for wriggling around on and doing yoga type stuff… I use one and it’s been great…long enough to fit completely under the bike and to catch anything that drops off.. When you’ve finished just roll it up and stick an elastic band around it.

simon_g

Old double duvet cover works for me. Protects the floor, absorbs any spillage and be chucked in the washing machine once in a while.

lambchop
    Free Member

decorators dust sheet here (decorator so have lots) Cheap and very absorbent.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I love the selection of tools on display. 🙂

What were you doing to it, out of interest?

nickjb
    Free Member

I usually use a tarp or a bit of old curtain material but they can be a bit thin to prevent damage/staining. When I can be bothered I’ve got an ikea rug that was £10. Its rubber backed and offers good impact and stain resistance

IA

I love the selection of tools on display.

What were you doing to it, out of interest?

Looks like chain device tweaking tools to me 🙂

frosty87
    Free Member

Also anyone got any tips for removing chain lube stains from off the lino?

I may have left a wet bike in our kitchen which then dripped on the floor a bit and left a mark. I stress may have, especially if the other half is looking!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Indoor floor protection whilst doing bike maintenance?’ is closed to new replies.