Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Indoor bike park – Would you use one?
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So what’s the consensus.
    If there was a decent one near by you (within 25 miles) would you consider using one if it wasn’t to costly?

LoCo
    Free Member

Skate park yes, bike park depends on what it has in it.

beefheart
    Free Member

No in summer, yes in winter.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No.

kayak23

Probably would always be a last resort, depending on the weather .
    If it was full of some decent dirt features and not just loads of silly wooden circus tricks then probably more likely to. It would be great in the winter months.

There was a video on dirt a while back of an indoor dirt and pump track. Looked brilliant fun and used the walls and everything..

The trouble is they tend to get used as creches. Full of grommits in most skateparks. Hopefully you’d not have
    the scooter issue in a dirt park.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Nope. Not unless post-apocalyptic fall-out bunker necessity scenario.

Northwind

Aye, depends on content but yes I probably would.

ianv
    Free Member

Yes definitely, even in summer if the weather was bad.

lucien

Yes, in winter – maybe in Summer. On the South Coast please near Southampton, would be ideal….

Flaperon

No. I don’t like being shown up by 5 year olds.

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    andrewh
    Free Member

When the weather is bad yes.
    And as someone said above provided it isn’t used as the local creche

Edric64
    Free Member

The velodrome is my indoor bike park.All that jumpy stuff is for kids

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No. Wouldn’t interest me in the slightest.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ride park (bmx) couple of times a month in the winter.
    Would’nt bother with mtb tbh..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Maybe, but only ocasionally.
    It would need a decent pump track,and some mellow dirt jumps suitable for.an old ****.
    I’m prob wrong, but are the succesful ones in the states, places which get really bad winters?

johnhe

Yes.

geoffj

Yip

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjJoVO9YsTU[/video]

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Yes – if it’s like this –

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYay727n-EY[/video]

ads678

I thought about this a while back. Thought about looking in to buying an old mill or something and building a multi level bike park where you ride down through big holes in each floor so you could have drops n stuff and wall rides/berms to get you round the corners and table tops/doubles in between. Would need to be big floor spaces but I reckon it’s doable in the right hands. Came to the conclusion it would probably cost than it’d make though. If someone else builds one though, I’d go!

neilc1881
    Free Member

The one in Dirt is owned by a friend of a friend, so I’m lucky enough to have ridden there. Great fun and pretty addictive if you are into dirt jumping and actually want to ride through winter. Hard work too! Just in the process of digging a new pump/dj track in Talybont so I may yet make a (less than) triumphant return to the skies.

lucien

That pool vid is awesome!!

piemonster

Nope.

But if works for some it’s all good by me.

jamj1974

Yes I would – evenings for skills sessions could be a great option in winter.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just discovered, and been hooked by, Manchester BMX Arena. I will be making use of this on occasion.

joepose
    Free Member

Be great if we could save a block of flats from dereliction, leave the lift in (for lazy buggers)then create a long spiraling downward trail inside?

mikey74
    Free Member

Be great if we could save a block of flats from dereliction, leave the lift in (for lazy buggers)then create a long spiraling downward trail inside?

I like that idea.

On the indoor mtb park thing: If it was within 5-10 miles: Yes, I would, assuming the content was worth it. Any further and it’s a no.

The trouble is I am more into DH these days and that would be difficult to recreate indoors, other than the above flats thing.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

those “bucking bronko” machines are not the same as riding an unbroken bull are they? everyone knows that….. the trail you ride is different every time in a thousand different ways.
    once someone can recreate a constantly changing environment, ill pay to ride.
    till then ill carry on with the beautiful, challenging, free version, nature gives us, thanks.

sure the weather aint always what you want, but if you learn to look at the long term picture, its almost always perfect.

[sometimes your ahead (dusty trails) sometimes your behind (mud in your eye) but the race is long, and in the end its only with yourself – baz lurman]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, if they got it right.
    Pump track, skills features, foam pit/airbag with skills coacjing, heating & cafe.
    Maybe throw in a spin/rpm studio or some plug in turbo spots with power meters etc or those static race type things.

It would be the indoor climbing version for biking. Maybe not a weekend venue but more an evening or skills place. However it would need to be near to a big population centre and far enough away from proper riding to work.
    Considering a climbing wall entry has gone up lots due to insurance I’d be expecting £10 entry (per person) and knowing how tight some people are about paying for a car park I can’t see that part working so well.

kayak23

The Welsh one I was on about.

[video]http://vimeo.com/6767987[/video]

klumpy
    Free Member

What could a mountain biker want with a bike park? Mountain bikes are serious offroad vehicles and a bike park has nothing to offer us…

Ahem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcxkR5y68d4
    (video embedding still a complete mystery to me. No S’s in my http, still don’t work, bloody useless…)

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d love an indoor jump park thing, not really into skatepark riding on my bmx but I love DJ, unfortunately most of the time the outdoor jumps at my local park are shut due to the weather.

ianv
    Free Member

http://dirt.mpora.com/video-clips/the-lumberyard-indoor-pumptrack-and-bikepark.html

This looks good, and you even have the obligatory grom to whip ass and destroy people’s preconceptions of their ability level!

alpin
    Free Member

often thought that Munich could do with something like this….. local trails are too muddy to ride in the winter (riding them just ruins them for summer) and the alps are covered in ablanket of snow.

i think more of a dirt jump/pump area with rocky sections rather than lots of wood.

the trick is building some sort of elevation into it. doesn’t need to be massive but ~10-15ft woulod be good as you could build small technical sections.

wouldn’t be a proper ride as such, more a place to practice and hone some skills…

somewhere with good transport links close to a large population.

rocketman
    Free Member

No thanks if it’s indoors I’m not interested

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Indoor bike park – Would you use one?’ is closed to new replies.