Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Indian summer my arse!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Dull in Derbyshire this morning! Every time I look at the weather they just put the sunshine back a day!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suggest you check the definition of an Indian summer (in particular when they occur) 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

What, usually in bloody india in their summer??? Not Derbyshire!! 🙄

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m having in Indian summer….. because I’m in India.

It is very nice too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Indian summers reference American Indians, not the far east I believe.

The etymology of ‘Indian summer’

The expression ‘Indian summer’ has been used for more than two centuries. The earliest known use was by French-American writer St. John de Crevecoeur in rural New York in 1778. There are several theories as to its etymology:

In The Americans: The Colonial Experience, Daniel J. Boorstin speculates that the term originated from raids on European colonies by Indian war parties; these raids usually ended in autumn, hence the extension to summer-like weather in the fall as an Indian summer. Two of the three other known uses of the term in the 18th century are from accounts kept by two army officers leading retaliation expeditions against Indians for raids on settlers in Ohio and Indiana in 1790, and Pennsylvania in 1794.[2]
    It may be so named because this was the traditional period during which early North American Indians harvested their crops of squash and corn.
    In the same way that Indian giver was coined for people who take back presents they have bestowed, the phrase Indian summer may simply have been a way of saying “false summer. (However some traditions say “indian giver” refers to the practice of giving gifts at the end of pow wow to honor and support the receiver in living a good life.. If the recipient fails to do so, the giver may take back the gift.) “[3]
    Similar usages in Europe

Saint Martin’s Summer by John Everett Millais

Altweibersommer in Germany
    In former times in Europe, ‘Indian summer’ was called ‘Saint Martin’s Summer’, referring to St. Martin’s day, November 11, when it was supposed to end.

The phrase ‘Saint Martin’s Summer’ comes from France where it is still widely used. Saint Martin of Tours died in Candes sur Loire, now Candes-Saint-Martin, on November 8, 397 AD. His corpse was claimed by people of both Poitou and Touraine provinces. The latter pilfered him and brought him on a boat by the river Loire to Tours where he was and still is buried. Legend has it that the river banks flowered as his corpse went by from Candes to Tours.

In British English “St. Martin’s Summer” was the most widely used term until the American phrase Indian Summer became better known in the 20th century. In Italy, St Martin’s summer (Estate di San Martino) was expected and celebrated as a rural tradition with ancient origins, and is marked by a festival throughout the peninsula on November 11. In Spain, it is called Veranillo de San Miguel or Veranillo de San Martín, depending on which date it occurs (September 29 and November 11, respectively). It can also be called Veranillo del Membrillo (little summer of the quince). In Galicia (northern Spain), it is called Veraniño de San Martiño, and in Portugal it is called “Verão de São Martinho,” both of which refer to St. Martin’s summer. In both cases, it is celebrated in rural areas with Magostos (Magusto in Portuguese, from Magnus Ustus, Big Fire in reference to the magical nature of fire), a celebration of Celtic origins in which bonfires, roasted chestnuts and wine have an important role. Even in the eastern part of the Iberian Peninsula the catalans have its ‘Estiuet de Sant Martí although the climate is just the opposite to the galician one.

It is called Old Ladies’ Summer in Russia Babye Leto (????? ????), in Poland Babie Lato, in Ukraine Babyno Lito (?????? ????), in Czech Republic Babí léto, in Slovakia “Babie leto” and in Croatia Bablje ljeto. In Bulgaria, the phenomenon is sometimes called “Gypsy Summer” (Bulgarian: ???????? ????, tsigansko lyato) and in some places “Gypsy Christmas” and refers to unseasonably warm weather in late fall, or a warm spell in between cold periods.

In Sweden it is called “brittsommar”, which is derived from Birgitta and Britta, who have their “name day” in the Swedish calendar on October 7. That is when Britt Mass, an official fall open-air market, was held.

In Germany and Austria it is called “Altweibersommer”, in Hungary “vénasszonyok nyara” (Old Ladies’ Summer or Crone’s Summer) because the many white spiders seen at this time of the year have been associated with the norns of Norse folklore or medieval witches. In Flanders (Belgium) it is also called “Oudewijvenzomer” (Old Ladies’ Summer) or “Trezekeszomer” (“St-Theresa’s Summer — St-Theresa’s Day being on 15 October).

In Welsh, it is known as “Haf Bach Mihangel” or (St.) Michael’s Little Summer – St. Michael’s Day being on 29 September.

An alternative to St Martin’s summer was “Saint Luke’s summer”, as the saint’s feast day is October 18. Another alternative was “All-hallown summer”, as Halloween is October 31; the expression is used in Shakespeare’s King Henry IV, Part 1, Act 1 Scene 2.

In Lithuania this time is called “Bob? vasara”, which translates to “summer of old ladies”.

In Latvia this period is called “Atvasara”, which translates to “re-summer” or “return/repeat/flashback of summer”.

In Turkey the term “past?rma yaz?”, meaning Pastrami Summer is used.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just teasing really. It’s just that quite a few of the BBC weathermen have been adamant about this mild period nit being an Indian summer. Apparently it refers to a milder period at the end of October going into November. However, that’s just being pedantic. I always thought an Indian summer was a warm and sunny September…until this week.

FFS mf, just bloody reference it, don’t **** destroy the thread 😛

steviegil
    Free Member

Glorious up here in Argyll 8) 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Meh!

Edric64
    Free Member

An Indian summer? going on their efforts in the Commonwealth games it will be late, crap and not what was expected!!

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Whether or not its an indian summer it does annoy me that the forecasters just keep moving the sun…if they know they can’t accurately forcecast much more than 24 hours ahead, don’t bloody bother!

oldgit
    Free Member

And I ironed my short sleeved shirt last night. 😡

toys19
    Free Member

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought: oop North.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oop north? I’m in t midlands! And it’s still dull out there. Anyway **** it I’m off out in half an hr no matter!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Its foggy in Fife.

elaineanne
    Free Member

its foggy n dull and horrid in Todmorden too………THYE LIED BOUT THE WEATHER..its all ‘psycological’ to get your ‘spirits’ up you see- wen they tell you its going to be glorious… (we all suddenly spring up out of the couch potatoe position and get out our bikes and hopefully head off up a mountain somewhere ! lol 😉 :mrgreen:

sputnik
    Free Member

Awful in Surrey atm as well. Was up at 6 am and it was warm, but grey.
    11.30 now and it is cold and grey.

phiiiiil

The last few days the forecast here (West Midlands) has been “lovely and sunny after early fog has gone” – they’ve been right, they just haven’t said the fog will only have gone by about 4pm!

‘Tis grey and misty here but the trails are dry so I don’t care.

simonralli2
    Free Member

We’ve had some fantastic days this week in Dumfries but I have been a bit gutted as I was going to check out Ae but been knocked out with a pretty major cold and am low on energy. Oh well.

ourmaninthenorth

Was nice and sunny earlier in Manchester. Just to confound all expectations..!

ourmaninthenorth

Still sunny in Manchester. There are people on the streets pointing at the sky and EVERYTHING

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just got back and at no point was it just t shirt weather! Much fun tho and to be fair I do ride pretty much in any weather. Bar the bloody wind that is!!!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

been dull and grey here in S.Wales

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Glorious in Peak District this afternoon

hairyscary

’twas lovely in The Highlands today.

Philby

Was supposed to be 22 degrees in Bristol today – its been grey all day without even a hint of sun 🙁

ahwiles
    Free Member

jamesgarbett – Member

Glorious in Peak District this afternoon

really?! (looks out of window – peers into the grim grey misty drizzle)

have you been smoking crack?

can i have some?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I watched a weatherman tell me it’s 23 degrees and sunny in Barnstaple this morning. I looked out of the window and it wasn’t. Not really cold though.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

No crack here near Glossop

Just lovely late afternoon sunshine

CountZero

This was near Lannacombe Bay, near Start Point, Devon around 1.30 Wednesday afternoon.

This is Beesands where I was staying until 10 this morning, at around 9.30.
    Bit of a change.

druidh
    Free Member
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Indian summer my arse!!’ is closed to new replies.