Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Indexing woes….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Second opinions wanted…. Indexing has been playing up on roadie since I took it away a few weeks ago.

Checked chain, not at 75% yet (1400miles). Trying to index and cannot for the life of me get it perfect, it will be fine on the extremities but will skip a cog in the middle of the cassette. Adjust so this shift is perfect and it jumps 2 slightly further up or makes a lot of racket trying to shift.

I’m coming o the conclusion that somehow the mech or hanger got bent during transport….although it looks fine from behind…. Tried fiddling with b screw too, that just made it worse.

Any other ideas? Before I check it in to the lbs? Sram force on rosé pro rs

simondbarnes

Bent hanger / mech

coatesy
    Free Member

My hanger looked fine to the eye, but the alignment tool showed it to be miles out. Also worth looking at cables too, especially if they go round a shed-load of bends under the bar tape.

DT78
    Free Member

Buggerit, sounds like what I thought

coatesy
    Free Member

Only a few minutes work to re-align with the right tool(providing it doesn’t break), so not an expensive job 🙂

iainc

I’d also say mech hanger. I had the exact same problems on a Giant Defy, from new. Couldn’t be bothered taking back to shop to let mechanics loose on it, so initially changed cables, no better, then new mech hanger and totally sorted.

chojin
    Free Member

+1 crappy cabling, can easily be the source of the issue (as well as the mech hanger).

cynic-al
    Free Member

You should be able to see a bent mech or hanger.

My money on cables.10s is sensitive.

DT78
    Free Member

Nowt has changed on the cabling though, unless the cables got bent somehow….the first 4 months riding have been fine. Money is on mech or hanger, lbs next week for diagnosis.

chris_db
    Free Member

You will be surprised how quick the cables can wear internally. If the indexing starts to play up go for the simplest solution first.

The application of Occams Razor is fundamental in problem solving!

Chris

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cables get contaminated easily.

I’ve seen cheaper Treks with Jagwire outers. The indexing doesn’t last and you need to change them to sort it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Indexing woes….’ is closed to new replies.