Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Indexing gears – nightmare
  • gilesmartin81

I have spent half of today trying to set up my gears. Is it actually that tricky or am I being a fool and making work for myself here?

I am pretty close but need to fine tune it now I hope that’s all then I can get back to the business of riding and having a good time!

rOcKeTdOg

which gears? usual all shimano/all sram is straight forward. mix and match stuff might not be completely compatible

matt_outandabout

Are you absolutely sure everything is straight and cable is threaded correctly to clamp?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Speshpaul

If everything is new and clean it should take next to no time, introduce wear, muck and the odd tweak to a mech or hanger and……….
    Spotting whats up is the trick.

whyme
    Free Member

Its tricky if things are worn, a compromise is then needed. If all new simples.

Del

most problems due to worn or ill-prepared cables IME. or crappy plastic end caps introduce a load of bobbins too.
    otherwise park tool website for setup advice.

gilesmartin81

It is a new cable, but everything else is older but not that old. I will look into how straight everything is next, that seems to be the next logical step. It’s all shimano so should be reasonably simple. Or so I thought

toys192
    Free Member

Where are you? Maybe a decent STwer can help?

toys192
    Free Member

I have a set of simple rules.
    1) undo cable at mech.
    2) Set lower stop.
    3) push mech up by hand and set upper stop.
    4) pull cable at mech and and keep hitting the trigger to get shifter down to lowest/smallest cog.
    5) adjust barrel to two turns out
    6) whilst pulling cable tight, do up cable.
    7) gears work every time.

gilesmartin81

Cheers, I will give that a go in the morning.

martinhutch

Last time I had an indexing nightmare, it was a slightly bent hanger.

frogstomp

Tip – if you don’t have full length cables just put the rear mech in the highest gear then push the mech inwards (as it would move as you go down the gears) whilst turning the pedals – this should create enough slack so you can unhook the rear outer and not have to undo the cable.

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/?area%5B%5D=52

AS above really, if this doesn’t work then something is too worn or bent.

welshfarmer

Sometimes it can be a simple as a lightly crushed outer causing the cable to drag. Particularly common when the outer runs under the BB or has a slightly awkward path around suspension pivots

bigblackshed

If everything is clean and not worn out, the cable is threaded and clamped properly, and all of the components are 8 / 9 / 10 speed, then I’ll suggest a bent mech hanger. Buying one of these:

Has saved me hours of frustration in setting up gears.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Indexing gears – nightmare’ is closed to new replies.