Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • InDesign Question – Creep….
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

Putting together a brochure 80ish pages A5 (first proper use of InDesign). Anyone know about creep and want to explain it? We have almost finalised it and printing is now the issue. We have a 5mm bleed but the creep is an issue. Do you fix this in InDesign or in some other package once exported?
    Ta

binners

80 ish pages? I wouldn’t worry about it, unless you’re printing it on 400gsm card?

Euro
    Free Member

Creep (shingle) is slightly adjusting the page size to allow for push out when a publication is saddle stitched. It’s calculated by using the thickness of the paper and multiplying that by the number of leaves. More creep is applied to pages at the centre of the book and it gets gradually less as you head towards the front/back. e.g. For an A5 book your first and last pages will be 148mm wide gradually getting narrower by 0.x of a mm until you reach the centre pages which will be (depending on paper stock) maybe 145mm wide.

I don’t know any designers who take this into account and adjust the artwork to suit as it’s a tiny amount per page and a total pain to try and work out manually. I calculate creep (multiply the page extent by half the thickness of the paper stock) and adjust the artwork using imposition software (which slightly scales horizontal width)

edit: ^^ just seen a typical designers response to creep :D. We shingle anything over 64pp unless it’s on 90-100gsm silk/gloss.

binners

🙂

AlexSimon

I always fix this problem by perfect binding 😉

binners

I blame the bloody printers, and their lack of sensitivity towards my creative genius, and failure to implement my grand vision! 😉

Euro
    Free Member

I’m just glad there’s finally something on here that i know a little bit about 😆

shuhockey
    Free Member

had a couple of proofs back and creep is definitely an issue!
    Can you adjust it in InDesign or do I need something else?

Euro
    Free Member

Ask whoever is producing the book if they cater for creep (if they don’t go to someone who does). It’s a piece of piss with a decent prepress workflow (Kodak Prinergy/Fuji XMF etc).

If you wanna stick a screenshot or two up of the pages you’re having issues (you can adjust the native files but it’s a time consuming pain)

the-muffin-man

Yep – you can manually nudge everything on a page, but as Euro says it’s a pain in the bum. And you are liable to miss bits when selecting.

And it sounds like you have text a bit too close to the edge if creep is a major issue. I try and keep a min of 6mm between edge of sheet and any text.

justinbieber

I’ve never worried about it myself – I’ve always assumed that the printers we use have got that sort of thing under control.

binners

Remember the first golden rule of design…..

Its always the printers fault. Isn’t that right Euro? 😉

On a serious note… What the-muffin-man said

I always whack a bigger margin on the inside of the spreads to allow for it, then try and keep any text and artwork well way from the inner fold. It is more of an issue if you’re only printing A5

jamesfts
    Free Member

Its always the printers fault.

100%, that and will the client notice 😉

On anything I’ve been been worried about I’ve just sent artwork to the printer and had a chat with them, if anything has needed adjusting they’ve usually done it at their end for me – or haven’t – either way never had a problem.

Saying that I’ve few clients wouldn’t notice if you printed every other page upside-down.

Euro
    Free Member

Its always the printers fault. Isn’t that right Euro?

Pretty much yeah. Though within the world of the print, it’s always Prepresseseses fault. Which makes my job such a joy 😀

P.s. As a designer who turned to the dark side, it’s staggering just how many so called top designers/artworkers haven’t a clue about preparing a/w for print. Good design doesn’t stop at pretty pictures.

binners

Couldn’t agree with you more. I’m a right pedantic, methodical bugger. I artwork my designs, and pretty much set it up print-ready as I go along. Its part of the job IMHO. But some other designers work who’s files I’ve opened are an absolute dogs dinner. Spot colours all over the place being the usual cardinal sin. When I was at uni (Salford) we did print production as well as the flowery stuff. But I’ve worked with qualified designers who don’t know the first thing about the actual technicalities of the print process. Bonkers!

sirromj

One word: Digital Publishing.

juanghia
    Free Member

One word: Digital Publishing.

Two words: Moron.

As others have said accommodate for it in your margins (different to bleed BTW, sorry if that patronises you) but creep should in most cases be dealt with by your printer who will shift your artwork accordingly during imposition. Just give them a call and ask them beforehand, printers are a very funny bunch and generally respond well to asking questions before they’ve set up plates 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘InDesign Question – Creep….’ is closed to new replies.