Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Independent bikes shops with a good online catalogue
  • thenorthwind

Can anyone recommend some good bike shops with a comprehensive (of their stock) online catalogue?

Though I like the idea, I’m not a big fan of any of my LBSs, so I tend to end up ordering stuff off CRC or wherever. One of the big things that puts me off is not being able to find out whether they stock something and how much it is without calling round or visiting.

I’d like to use independents more, and I’m willing to accept that bits are more expensive. Which are the good ones? Charlie the Bikemonger is a good example, but he doesn’t have everything.

tjagain

edinburgh bike co op count?

40mpg

Hargroves? It’s also my lbs so double win for me.

lunge

Merlin?

belugabob
    Free Member

Freeborn bikes, in Horsham.
    Always helpful, and willing to order stuff that they don’t have.
    Joe was particularly helpful in sorting out rotor lockring issues on a recent bike build.

I even popped over there to buy some socks, on Saturday…

Popping out for some socks

…not that I needed an excuse to go for a ride.

drewd

Ribble and Merlin for me, as I used to work around the corner from Ribble, and now work a couple of miles from Merlin. My parents live in Rutland, so I sometimes check Rutland Cycles too if I am planning to visit them.

Although most use the above for mail order I have only ever bought stuff from them in their bricks and mortar stores. Are there any similar places with an online presence and actual stores near you?

alpineharry
    Free Member

Commenting for future reference.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

+1 for Freeborn. They will price match too.
    Merlin are great. Ribble cycles for Road stuff and the odd bit of MTB kit.

rOcKeTdOg

I work in an LBS and the best thing to do is ring us, we know exactly what we have in stock. Too busy to constantly update the website. I suspect most LBS’s are the same

russyh
    Free Member

I have tried to order twice from Freeborn. Both times showing stock online. Both times no actual stock at point of order.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Proper independent = small = not the resources for fancy website/real time stock levels on website/stock of the near infinite amount of stuff they’d need to please a decent amount of customers.

Thanks to CRC etc al.

mick_r

For more obscure stuff SJS Cycles and Spa Cycles.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Chainreaction?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d echo what rocketdog said, pick up the phone and call, most things are only a delivery away and the LBS can negotiate on price. Merlin/Ribble etc are now more an online retailer with a shop.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ordered a Wheels MFG bottom bracket and spanner from Freeborn at about 1:00pm, and it arrived the next day (free carriage too)!

Impressed me….

eulach

Brooks Cycles in Powys sold me some forks last month and they were bloody brilliant.

mbnutter
    Free Member

Biketart have good stock across a broad spectrum of parts etc.

Good to visit too, though a long way from the OP, highly recommended.

https://www.biketart.com/

thenorthwind

edinburgh bike co op count?

I do use them sometimes, I’ve got a local branch so I can pick stuff up. Rarely seem to have what I need though, they seem more touring/family oriented.

I work in an LBS and the best thing to do is ring us, we know exactly what we have in stock.

As I said, that’s what I’m trying to avoid. I can’t do that before work/in the evening. Doesn’t work for me, sorry.

Too busy to constantly update the website. I suspect most LBS’s are the same

I can understand that. But I’m trying to make it worthwhile for the ones that do make an effort.

If I bookmark those suggested and try them first each time, I’ll have a list I can quickly try next time I need some stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hargroves were the first place I tried and they have the bits I need now 🙂

daddyoe
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Some bike shops with an online shop are different entities, where the online shop doesn’t relate to their LBS. The online may even be run by another company and the stock from a warehouse that serves multiple retailers. Or like a number of them the online stock is basically a listing of what they think they can get from distributors, and as I’ve found stock levels are based on what the distributor tells them.

It makes sense though for some to get some kind of online presence to boost the LBS business.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

http://www.velobikes.co.uk 2 shops so the site pulls stock from both and it’s always up to date because it’s automatic through their epos system. Always available to chat about queries too

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Independent bikes shops with a good online catalogue’ is closed to new replies.