Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Independant Candidates – What's the point if…
  • jfletch
    Free Member

I get the point of independant candidates in the election and campagning on a specific local issue could be really powerful, but surely this relies on people knowing who you are and what you stand for and it being a very principled view (anti war etc) or a local point specific to your area.

I looked at who is standing where I live and found two independants, one has a website with some lofty but fairly pointless (IMO) centreist principles for the national agenda. There is nothing specific to Sheffield at all. What’s the point? If I want a wishy washy candidate who doesn’t really stand for anything I can vote for Nick Clegg. So what is the point?

The other is some bloke called “Jim Stop the Fiasco Wild”. Sounds interesting, I wonder what the “fiasco” is? I’ll google him. Nothing, not a web page, newspaper article, twitter account, nothing. What is the point of this? Even if he is just trying to attract the protest vote away from a spoiled ballot surely it may be a sensible idea to tell people this somehow?

wwaswas

There was a “Roman Party. Ave!” on the ballot paper round here.

No idea who it is or what they stand for and no info before I saw the ballot paper.

The Ave! nearly snagged my vote though…

MoreCashThanDash

Some independent “anti HS2” candidates could have caused a nightmare for the Tories in the south east and Midlands. Missed opportunity there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I want a wishy washy candidate who doesn’t really stand for anything I can vote for Nick Clegg.

That’s a bit unfair. Nick Clegg very firmly nailed his colours to the mast 5 years ago when he proved to everyone that when push comes to shove he’s just another closet Tory.

There was no sitting on the fence for Nick Clegg after May 2010, he helped the Tories push up Britain’s least loved tax up to 20%.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Independant Candidates – What's the point if…’ is closed to new replies.