Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Indecisive! 2009 XTR crankset or Royce square taper + Middleburn?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Have access to both, can't decide which to use on "trail" bike. Thoughts?

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I'd imagine a Royce bb would be less trouble than the XTR. I'd go for the Royce.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

likewise, just make sure you ti prep the axle and torque the cranks on

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'd go for the lighter, stiffer XTR combination. New bearings for the BB are only about a tenner and you'd likely get 2 years out of the BB.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR

convert

Don't follow the crowd. You could buy Shimano on most complete bikes – enjoy the freedom to be different and go British.

andrewh
    Free Member

Definately square.

martinxyz
    Free Member

got an xtr in vgc. 170mm with brand new outer ring.the other rings are hardly used and the arms are vgc as far as scuffing and rock damage goes.I went to 175`s so need to get this sold.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

… depends on which 'look' you are going for I suppose? Royce + Middleburn is classily shiny retro-tastic, whereas XTR is mean and racy.

On a more practical note, Middleburns still look great after loads of muddy heal rubs, whereas XTRs get trashed pretty quick.

Onzadog
    Free Member

XTR gives better shifts and I've had no hint of trouble from mine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wonder wether peoples opinion is due to some liking alternatives to shimano i.e. "keep british" rather than functionality. I like to buy british but i do have XTR's as my experience with middleburn rings are that they are quote soft and wear out quicker. That said XTR replacement rings are stupidly expensive!

The XTR crank removal is just as easy as square tapers as you need a tool for both although I guess most people have splined/tapered crank pullers in their tool kit already rather than buying the shimano tool. Is the square taper BB less stiff than the XTR external cup and large axle system?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've got both and I'd go for XTR every time, gearchange is much smoother with XTR.

just make sure you ti prep the axle

Not if you speak to Cliff at Royce (and he should know a bit more than some random bloke in the internet) 😉

nickc

What do you mean by trail riding?

Bimbler
    Free Member

If it was me I'd go for the Middleburn/Royce combo

bonesetter
    Free Member

I like MB sq taper.

I have a Phil Wood BB which not only lasts a very long time but is serviceable.

You can get hardcoat MB chain rings which are more durable

You can swap and change. 1×9, 2×9, change the rings for different tooth numbers. I ride 29er's so handy for this.

Never had an XTR, but run an XT set. I've heard XTR shifting is slick, but man, the cost of them just brings the question home

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers guys. "Trail" was the best word I could find for "general riding around malarky"…ie not DH, not XC racing, but most stuff in between. I've used RF/Shimano/Truvativ external BBs before & generally like them (although the RF one didn't last long). Having not used square taper for quite some time, I'm not really sure if I'd notice the alleged stiffness difference. The price of replacement XTR rings is indeed scary as heck though, which is one thing preventing me pulling the trigger.

anc
    Free Member

From a performance function point of view the xtr can't be beaten. With regards the chainrings, yes there stupid money but if you look after them you'll get 2 years useage easily. I was tipped off shimano prices were going to go through the roof, so bought a complete crankset for £200 last year(cheaper than buying the rings). Only just put it on after 2.5 years use out of the the first one. You can get aftermarket rings that will fit though 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Prudent buying indeed anc 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Fitted Royce sq taper / Middleburn RS8 to the HT this year, after 5 years of XT cranks / hollowtech BBs – just got fed up with replacing bearings…

I'm 15st and haven't noticed the Royce / Midleburn set up to be at all flexy

mt
    Free Member

Middleburn and Royce for me on several bikes including an MTB tandem. Great quality kit that last for years and years. Cliff is a pleasure to do business with, he sets the standard for being a nice chap and very helpful. If you order online from him there is a 10% discount.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What company does Cliff hail from?

rkk01
    Free Member

Royce UK

Cliff Polton is the chap who runs Royce. I talked to him at some length before ordering my new BB – very helpful he was too.

69er
    Free Member

Another vote for Royce and Middleburn here. Square taper is fine, the whole thing won't look scuffed to **** after 3 dirty rides and you won't have to re-mortgage your house to buy new rings.

Speshpaul

The other plus point about middleburn is that they are timeless. Next year this year XTR with be last years. Your Middleburns will be, well their new ones!

Personally i have issue's with a product that the manufacture can't fix their/product name to. What are they ashamed off:-)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Royce & Middleburn it is then 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Personally i have issue's with a product that the manufacture can't fix their/product name to

So you'd rather companies never innovated and churned out exactly the same product for decades? What an exciting industry that would be!

Edit: and if you put helicopter tape on XTR cranks they stay looking perfect too.

anc
    Free Member

/\ Snap, did that to mine 😉

convert

And the gullibility award goes to….Njee20!

Do you really think the R&D guys at Shimano are jumping up and down saying "this new crank/ mech/ widget is so flippin marvelous we must get it to market now – I can't see how anyone ever rode a bike before!"

I'm more of the school of thought that thinks the marketing guys are running the meeting and say "Oi, R&D grunts – we've gotta have a new crank/ mech/ widget out for next year. Don't use all your ideas or 'owt (not sure they speak like yorkshiremen in Japan), save them for next year. Make 'em just a little bit different – maybe a bit more black. I'll make up some bollox that sounds like you can't see how anyone ever rode a bike before!"

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Get XTR and fit with a Hope BB. You'll get the best cranks plus a British BB.

Best of both worlds.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Indecisive! 2009 XTR crankset or Royce square taper + Middleburn?’ is closed to new replies.