Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Incredible philanthropy from an athlete
  • SaxonRider

I know that, being ice hockey, this story won’t necessarily touch many of you, but it is worth mentioning anyway.

There is a player for the Montréal Canadiens whom I have always admired named P.K Subban, but it was just announced today that he will be giving 10 million dollars to the Montreal Children’s Hospital. That’s in addition to ongoing fundraising commitments.

You’ve got to understand how active in the community this guy is in the first place; but such an announcement is both incredible and unprecedented!

He has already broken all sorts of moulds: as a gentleman player of immense good nature; as one of the few black players in the National Hockey League; as a record-breaking defence man; and now as a philanthropist.

Good on him! I, for one, am deeply moved.

Here’s some highlights from his remarkable career so far:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9E87mlWaA[/video]

seadog101

That’s a fantastic move on his part. Shame that there isn’t more sportsmen who earn staggering amounts of money willing to this.

A simple act like this will change the reputation of many very quickly, and with little impact on their own wealth.

racefaceec90

respect to the gentleman,that’s a very honorable thing to do 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samunkim
    Free Member

Amazing gesture. Hope there are some strings attached & it doesn’t just get spent on Management Consultants, Agency Staff & Coffee Machines -for the Chief Exec.like it would in the NHS

jamj1974

Brilliant!

SaxonRider

Bump for the morning crowd. Simply because it will start the day off well. 😀

4130s0ul
    Free Member

wow, fair play to him indeed

v8ninety

Very admirable head screwed on-ery.

Pigface
    Free Member

PK Suban is a legend in Montreal,the Canadiens fans think of him as a God, great player and and a very generous man.

Cant see the youtube clip but he levels the scumbag Lucic in a great hit. Hope that is in there.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Whilst the funds come from a variety of sources they all involve him or his name. Top top class gesture and it really ought to be publicised to all the sportsman and similar in the world who make fortunes from the adoration or support of others. I suppose that’s every wealthy person in some way but bankers and super rich sportsman come to mind first.

g5604
    Free Member

seems like common sense to me – once you have a nice car, bike and house what do you do with your endless money.

rhid

To some buy more nice cars, nice houses and nice bikes.

Good on him.

shermer75
    Free Member

Great story, that did indeed brighten up my day! 🙂

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Brilliant
    Ages back I read about Victor Espinoza (an American jockey) who donates 10% of his winnings to a children’s cancer charity
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/06/07/american-pharoah-jockey-victor-espinoza-donated-his-winnings-to-fight-childhood-cancer/
    It’s nice–if rare–when money and privilege cause people to be generous rather than grabby 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

The $10 million is a combination of a personal donation from Subban — in the seven-figure range — as well as funds from the P.K. Subban Foundation and fundraising activities using his name and brand over the next seven years.(Kevin Mio, Montreal Gazette)

Okay, giving money and helping others for good cause are good so no problem there …

But exactly how much does that come from his personal wealth and exactly how much from the foundation and fundraising activities using his name and brand? (brand promotion ?)

What I find rather intriguing are some celebrities whoever using their names to fund raise then getting their name published loudly as if they single-handedly went out of their way to do that … (I bet their bloody PR team/publishing team are all pushing for this sort of publicity)

If they want to donate then just donate and most importantly hide their names …

🙄

franksinatra

Great story, looks like a good bloke.

Very curious sport though, how violence and punch-up are so common and encouraged, often (as in that clip) with the referees just standing by and watching. Are the players a particularly angry bunch that need to fight all of the time or is it staged a bit?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What I find rather intriguing are some celebrities whoever using their names to fund raise then getting their name published loudly as if they single-handedly went out of their way to do that … (I bet their bloody PR team/publishing team are all pushing for this sort of publicity)

Well if he goes to Nike/Rebok/Adidas and says I’ll do an add campaign for $Xmillion an donate it to charity, that’s $Xmillion from their marketing budget (you’d hope they wouldn’t do too much double accounting and knock the same $xmillion of their charitable budget either).

hooli

Good man, it is a shame that more wealthy people don’t make some kind of positive contribution to the world.

Pigface
    Free Member

Each hockey team has an enforcer who will fight, refs let them punch themselves out unless they fall on the floor then they will step in.

Not everybody fights but you have to have a go if need be, even players like Sid Crosby will fight if someone really takes the piss.

In Finland if you throw a punch you will get thrown out of the game, in Russia they fight and in the UK.

It isnt staged and there have been some wallopings handed out. Ty Domy is a classic case of hard fighting hockey player.

If you want to see something utterly mad look up Ottowa Senators vs the Flyers, so many ejections that there are only about 6 players left on each side, everyone got thrown out of the game 😆 I think it still holds the record for most amount of penalty minutes in a game.

sands
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

Very curious sport though, how violence and punch-up are so common and encouraged, often (as in that clip) with the referees just standing by and watching.

Pigface – Member
    …refs let them punch themselves out unless they fall on the floor then they will step in.

^^^ this

Here is a pretty good summation:

“Fighting is considered to be part of the game in hockey. The unwritten rules actually provide pretty strict control over what looks to be uncontrolled. The refs always step in and end the fight when one of the players falls to the ice. At that point, the fight is over. If one of the players continues to fight, he will likely be ejected from the game.”
    Quora

(I used to play right-defence for a UK recreational team in the early 1990’s)

sboardman

Each hockey team has an enforcer who will fight, refs let them punch themselves out unless they fall on the floor then they will step in

Out and out “enforcers” are a dying breed (fortunately) opinion piece linko. Indeed fighting is way down from the turn of the century (source); 0.56 fights per game in 2000-1 compared to 0.32 in 2014-15. There’s simply not enough room against the cap (or contract spaces) to waste a roster spot on someone who can’t contribute at both ends of the ice.

Subban seems like a top bloke mind. There always seems to be lots of hospital visits and plenty of community outreach from teams across the NHL.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Incredible philanthropy from an athlete’ is closed to new replies.