• This topic has 112 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Incredible iPhone queues
  • ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Serious Question, why is the new iphone so much better? I can't see that it does anything more than a HTC Desire but just costs more money and doesnt do Flash?

+1

And yes, people will argue that Flash is dying on it's arse…. Fact of the matter is, it's still used on a HUGE proportion of websites so no flash = limited browsing content.

The reception problems, coupled with the display problems are more than enough reason for me to hold off buying one, especially seeing as I'd be getting one SIM Free…. Think I'll give it a month or so for Apple to sort the glitches out before parting with the hard earned..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

this thread really only ever going to go one way wasn't it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i must remark that i have yet to visit a site where functionality is impaired due to lack of flash capability on my phone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glenh
    Free Member

Never visited the BBC website then, or any site with video content?

I was watching the tennis live on the bbc website last night while on the train for example, using my phone with flash.

On the way home tonight I may watch some Brass Eye on SeeSaw.com 😆

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Ok, put the Flash issue aside – what else does the iPhone do that truly sets it apart from other smartphones? Why is it worth the extra money when, for £200 less, you could have an HTC desire which is equally as good (no HD video recording but it's hardly a deal-breaker).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Never visited the BBC website then, or any site with video content?

I use it almost all the time. In fact the only site I have bookmarked is the BBC site (various pages).

Granted I can't watch the media from the BBC site, but I CAN watch it via TVCatchup where I can also watch ITV (1, 2, 3 & 4), Channel 4, Fiver, E4, More4, Dave, Film 4, Sky News and even QVC should I want to.

DrJ

Serious Question, why is the new iphone so much better? I can't see that it does anything more than a HTC Desire but just costs more money and doesnt do Flash ?

Well, don't know enough to make a detailed list, but for a start it syncs with iTunes, so it updates all apps, it has access to more of those apps which are 'vetted' and hence more likely to run properly, and it doesn't do Flash.

DrJ

Granted I can't watch the media from the BBC site

Can't you use the iPlayer app? Seems like its just some content that the Beeb have been slow to convert to a format suitable for mobile devices. They were also slow to provide Mac support for iPlayer, so maybe they will get up to date eventually.

Clong
    Free Member

Thing is, i think the the iphone did "up the game", with respect to the UI, but when i hear things such as "left the competition in its wake with its new features.", my initial response is "So you got suckered in by the hype then".

Most phones have been able to video call over the mobile network for years, how is the iphone abilty to only video call over wifi to other iphones ahead of the competion?

The other specs of the phone are'nt all that either, 5mp camera? About 4 years behind. HD recording, been done.

Basically the iphone sells on its ease of use and the hype generated from its marketing.

My father in law has a 3GS from work, he loves it. The reception on it is so poor he rarely gets called out of hours. In that respect it has changed his life since he is no longer contactable outside office hours, which hes very happy about.

onewheelgood

there's just one important question

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can't you use the iPlayer app?

As I said above, I just use TVCatchup anyway (and only to watch footie really). If I ever need to, I guess I could look at iPlayer.

mboy
    Free Member

Ok, put the Flash issue aside – what else does the iPhone do that truly sets it apart from other smartphones? Why is it worth the extra money when, for £200 less, you could have an HTC desire which is equally as good (no HD video recording but it's hardly a deal-breaker).

For £200 less?

Seriously, why didn't somebody say that the phone companies were trying to PAY ME to take a phone away before I handed over a paltry sum for my iPhone 4? 😉

I think for me, like probably most iPhone fans, it's not about things like a 5MP camera, HD video recording, lack of Flash etc… It's about having the most user friendly, intuitive, easy to use device on the market. It's also why Apple still manage to sell quite a lot of computers even to this day, as their hardware is over priced when you look at it purely in terms of spec for your money, it's more about the OS though and what it allows you to do in that respect.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I like my 3GS. That's about it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

bol

what mboy said.

For example, I took my new toy home, plugged it into itunes and ten minutes later it has everything on it that my old one did – including every text I have sent or received. No hassle, no needing to work things out or ring someone up. No need to read a manual – everything is intuitive, including all the new features. I've owned windows mobile smart phones and a bunch of symbian ones, and for me switching to an iphone from them was like switching from DOS to Windows (for any of you old enough to remember that). I'm not a geek; I just like nice things that are well made and work properly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So does it copy over all the apps too?

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

bol – Member
    what mboy said.
    I just like nice things that are well made and work properly.

Hmmmmmmmm – I'd have to take issue with the 'well made' and 'work properly' part, on the following basis:

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/6/24/apple-iphone-4-hit-display-problems/
    http://www.t3.com/news/iphone-4-suffers-setback-as-early-problems-arise?=46603
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/poll-is-your-iphone-4-retina-display-seeing-yellow-spots/
    http://mashable.com/2010/06/23/iphone-yellow-screen-tint/
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/06/24/iphone-4-issues-reported/1
    http://trunc.it/92z2n

You probably won't like the iPhone 4 (or at least the first batch) then….

Most of the second shipment of iPhones will be bloody warranty replacements for the first lot.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

There is an old theory that says people will join a queue even if they don't know what they are lining up for

Not sure what one of these does and certainly don't want or need it then
    If its like an ipod no doubt there will be long queues to return the faulty ones

My mobile phone company keep giving me 100 quid a year to stay with them on a contract phone that the bill never gets above 9 quid a month
    Why would I want to change, only there for urgent or emergency use and its essentially free.

molgrips
    Free Member

FWIW I transfer my stuff from old Nokia to new Nokia perfectly each time.

mboy
    Free Member

There is an old theory that says people will join a queue even if they don't know what they are lining up for

LOL, there were a good few people that came up to those of us queuing today to ask what the queue was for, and should they join! Hahaha

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    FWIW I transfer my stuff from old Nokia to new Nokia perfectly each time.

Yep – same with me on my Nokia, HTC, or any other phone I've had for that matter. The fact that the iPhone4 syncs up easier pales into insignificance when you look at the issues that have surfaced on DAY 1 of it's release…. This isn't after a week, or a month, it's after A DAY!

I wouldn't really give two s**ts if my iPhone synced up easily if it dropped phonecalls every time I used my left hand to hold it, or yellow marks appeared on the screen after minutes of use!

CountZero

There were twenty people in front of me this morning when I picked mine up. Don't know about the so-called Apple Tax on contracts, the one I've got is exactly the same amount per month as I was paying for a crappy N95, with far, far better usability. The point many are missing about Apple is not that they're doing something no-one else has done, but that it's a more integrated design. An Android phone is just some generic smartphone with one flavour of Android stuffed inside. There's no oversight of the apps, and a recent report says 1in 5 apps allows personal info to be accessed by outsiders.

IA

" the one I've got is exactly the same amount per month as I was paying for a crappy N95"

Then you were paying too much for the N95. I think a lot of people pay a lot more than they need to for their phones.

(BTW i'm not anti-apple/iPhones, just a pet hate is folk that think the iphone is "cheap" by any stretch of the word. It's a £500 or £600 phone, whichever way you cut it, you're paying that for it).

chiefgrooveguru

What bugs me is that I actually need a phone because I no longer have my work one – yet I can't get an iPhone 4 because hordes of people who already have a perfectly serviceable phone have just had to upgrade because otherwise their life would be incomplete, and thus there are none left!

bol

Mastiles – yes, apps too.

Zaskar – well, at least if it breaks you can just pop into your local Apple store and they'll hand you a new one. I guess when you ship the best part of a million products in one day you're going to have a few that fall over. A 1% failure rate is going to be reported as if it's most of them if that equates to 10,000 units.

Anyway, I'm happy with mine. The bigger concern for me, if I think about it, is that I was actually rather happy with the old one too. I, like a lot of people on here I would guess, have the same problem with bikes.

GrahamS

Anyone would swear that Apple invented Folders,
    Video Calling and Multitasking (which is still doesn't do properly in the eyes of some).

Agreed and that irks me too. But that's marketting for ya.

However if you look at the details you'll see that they have, as always, put a bit of a unique Appley spin on each of those existing ideas (which you may or may not consider to be a good thing).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ahh cool – when I get around to getting one (after the rush) it will be dead easy to swap over then.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It irritates me that they make out that some of their ideas are fantastically original when in fact they are just improvements of ideas that have been around for years.

_tom_
    Free Member

Quite funny that a HD camera is meant to be a selling point, since it's still going to be a piss-poor excuse for a camera as it's in a phone 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

From an Ecodesign point of view, when you look back at the evolution of consumer tech, it's amazing that so many people buy things that go obsolete so quickly.

It could be argued that you shouldn't even mass produce the early generations – they obviously aren't ready 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

Then you were paying too much for the N95. I think a lot of people pay a lot more than they need to for their phones.

(BTW i'm not anti-apple/iPhones, just a pet hate is folk that think the iphone is "cheap" by any stretch of the word. It's a £500 or £600 phone, whichever way you cut it, you're paying that for it).

To be fair to Apple, the N95 was a £700 phone when it came out, the HTC Desire is a £400 phone. None of the fancy smartphones are cheap.

Joe

IA

I know – I wasn't saying they are. But they are nearly all available cheaper than iphones, even when they're fairly new.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And equally most other phones don't attract the premium when sold on. Original 3G (not the 3GS) iPhones still sell for around £200 second hand whereas the N95 only gets around £100…

jam-bo

sorted. just off the phone to O2 retentions and got a 16gb Iphone4 in the post.

CountZero

And equally most other phones don't attract the premium when sold on. Original 3G (not the 3GS) iPhones still sell for around £200 second hand whereas the N95 only gets around £100…

I got £68 for mine in perfect condition. I'll probably get around £150-180 for my 3G. The N95 was really crap, yet the reviewers loved it. Its GPS needed a BT receiver before it would work, the 5Mp camera was hopeless, I could get one focussed pic out of maybe nine or ten attempts. It wouldn't focus on a bike propped against a tree ten feet away, or a chuffing great sailing ship in the middle of Bristol docks. My 3G, on the other hand, had over four hundred pics on it when I backed it up the other evening, and those were the most recent. Sure, it's not up to the same standard as a good compact, but it takes perfectly good snapshots that print great at 6×4, and look fine on Facebook, which is ok with me. I've got a TZ3 and a Nikon D60 if I want better pics, I've been taking photos for over thirty years, and I am quite happy with it; the 5Mp camera on the 4G will perform perfectly well as a snapshot camera, and anyone criticising it is just totally missing the whole point of a decent point and shoot camera that is always with you. Pixel count means nothing, I could care less about SE putting a 12Mp camera in a phone, it probably won't produce much better photos than my 2Mp.

crikey
    Free Member

As long as you're ok with it dropping calls when you pick it up…

A Ha ha aha hah aha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhah, etc.

crikey
    Free Member

Oh, and the screen going yellow….

A Ha ha aha hah aha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhah, etc.

I believe the common people would suggest that Apple have been owned, or pwned, or just made to look a bit silly.

Beta testing, gotta love it!

GrahamS

crikey: do you honestly believe that Apple let a new phone design get to market without once testing to make sure it could recieve calls??

And folk call the fanbois gullible!

I'd be very surprised if this "dropping calls when you touch it" thing proves to be anything more than either a few bad builds out of the millions created, random internet bollocks, or even just random FUD created by other manufacturers.

crikey
    Free Member

Graham, put iPhone 4 problems into google, then tell me its FUD

crikey
    Free Member

Apparently, they did the majority of testing in a 3G case for secrecy…
    Not that it will be a problem in the long run, after all, they are for showing to others rather than using, right?
    LOL…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Incredible iPhone queues’ is closed to new replies.