Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Increasing BB height – End result on handling/feel/etc(29er/650b in a 26" frame)
  • letmetalktomark

So I bought a 26″ frame recently with paragon sliders.

The plan was to use 26″ wheels but I couldn’t resist trying some 29er wheels for size.

Much to my amazement a 2.25″ Ardent fits with the dropouts only moved back a fraction.

Clearly BB height has increased. The frame originally had a 302mm BB height but with the 29er/Ardent wheels fitted its lept to about 340mm (approximately)

Am I wasting my time e.g. Will the ride be ruined or will it simply be different?

If the former I may try some 650b wheels as this would lessen the increase. If the latter I have a new monster cross bike 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Try it, it may be amusing! My 27.5 bike has +/-6mm of BB height adjustment (which also changes HA&SA by +/-0.5deg) and I notice a pretty obvious difference between the two extremes – the lower, the more stable it is, the higher the more it can be flicked around. That’s only a 12mm change though – a 40mm change of BB height is huge.

enfht
    Free Member

Tight cornering may be sluggish. A higher centre of gravity may make you feel perched. But go try it and see, only you can tell.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Increasing BB height – End result on handling/feel/etc(29er/650b in a 26" frame)’ is closed to new replies.