Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Incorrect uses of the English language – what really gets under your skin?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

TJ – fire road is easier to say than ‘forestry road’. That’s why I use it.

drain

“More that” rather than “more than”. It seems to have crept in over the last decade. Is it an Americanism? Makes me grimace every time I see it 😕

CaptJon
    Free Member

1980’s instead of 1980s

I read an undergrad essay the other day which referenced the 1984 Minor’s strike – annoying, but pretty funny imagining one child trying to resist Thatcher’s union breaking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – its easier to eat with fingers than cutlery but it doesn’t make it right.

WackoAK
    Free Member

You need to all go out and ride your bikes or get laid (or both).

edit: TJ – I take your point but as mountain biking orginated in the USA then you can appreciate why it’s an accepted term.

hels
    Free Member

Aye, and where I’m from, they ARE fire breaks which became adopted as roads. So I am allowed to say that.

And moaning about Americanisms is a bit rich from the nation that refers to “semi-detached” houses. Save us… It’s half a house. If anything it’s “semi-attached”.

oink
    Free Member

people using less instead of fewer – is the one i’m usually vocal about

but when people fall fowl of RAS syndrome, or tautology or pleonasm I just tend to cringe

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips – its easier to eat with fingers than cutlery but it doesn’t make it right

It’s not.

And you’re just being a buttplug now. Stoppit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And you’re just being a buttplug now.

I think you will find that is a butt plug but ‘LOL’ nonetheless.
    😆

SaxonRider

oink – Member
    people using less instead of fewer – is the one i’m usually vocal about

but when people fall fowl…

Foul. Fowl has feathers.

Cougar

I read an undergrad essay the other day which referenced the 1984 Minor’s strike

Fantastic.

but when people fall fowl of RAS syndrome, or tautology or pleonasm I just tend to cringe

Fall foul.

Mostly, I adore pleonasms, I think they’re opportunities for some comedy gold. “I’ll be back in just a brief minute” – well, that’s alright then, so long as it’s not one of those long minutes, they take forever.

oink
    Free Member

i dont care about spelling or written words so much, I spend so much time writing code that has to be perfect that i liek to not concentrate so much when i’m just typing out shite like this (especially in an informal environment) – if it sounds/looks similar to what it is and people get the gist it doesnt matter to me – it can also be re-read so you can make sure what was written, was meant. with the spoken word, that isnt available, so accuracy is more important

Dibbs
    Free Member

ac·ro·nym? ?
    [ak-ruh-nim]
    –noun
    a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women’s army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

American Psychological Association (APA):
    acronym. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged. Retrieved March 25, 2011, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym
    Chicago Manual Style (CMS):
    acronym. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym (accessed: March 25, 2011).
    Modern Language Association (MLA):
    “acronym.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 25 Mar. 2011. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym&gt;.
    Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE):
    Dictionary.com, “acronym,” in Dictionary.com Unabridged. Source location: Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym. Available: http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: March 25, 2011.

jojoA1
    Free Member

In Glaswegian it is “sangwidgies”, which I quite like the ring of.

Oops! Split infinitive I think. “…Of which I quite like the ring” more correct, perhaps?

dawson

People that use ‘spot’ instead of ‘point’

i.e. 1spot25 instead of 1point25

REALLY annoys me!!!!!!

Cougar

Dibbs > we’re discussing English, there’s little relevance in citing American reference texts.

Cougar

people that use ‘spot’ instead of ‘point’

i.e. 1spot25 instead of 1point25

REALLY annoys me!!!!!!

I’ve heard, on more than one occasion, a URL being read out as “aitch tee tee pee double-dot…”

philconsequence
    Free Member

people who dont start setneces with capitals use apostrafees orcheck there speeling

v annoyin

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Right! Here is my chance….

When people write the word ‘loose’ when they really mean ‘lose’.
    That really effing annoys me.
    Does it make me a ‘looser’*? Maybe in the eyes of some, but I don’t care because at least I am literate. They are not.

*played for laughs

Milkie
    Free Member

I’m useless with punctuation, grammar and use of commas, semi-colons, etc. If I notice other people’s mistakes I don’t mind, not everyone paid attention in class.

What does annoy me is when you read a professional piece and notice mistakes.

ourmaninthenorth

I do love it when (predominantly) men on the internet get all hissy about the apparent failings of others in their communication, especially when they get overwrought by “Americanisms”.

As if somehow the middlebrow has the monopoly on language, its development and use.

Cougar

When people write the word ‘loose’ when they really mean ‘lose’.

+1 to that.

I do love it when (predominantly) men on the internet get all hissy about the apparent failings of others in their communication, especially when they get overwrought by “Americanisms”.

If that’s directed at me, I point out Americanisms by way of making conversation, I certainly don’t get ‘hissy’ about it. I suppose I consider it a different language, so saying “that’s an Americanism” is akin to saying “that’s from Latin” and so on. My comment to Dibbs wasn’t saying that American English is “wrong,” just that it’s not appropriate to use American sources as guides for British English.

Dibbs
    Free Member

“acronym”. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English (1991), Oxford University Press. p. 12: “a word, usu[ally] pronounced as such, formed from the initial letters of other words (e.g. Ernie, laser, Nato)”.

Is that “English” enough for you?

organic355
    Free Member

Is any of this really that annoying? Really?

ourmaninthenorth

If that’s directed at me

Not specifically, no.

Cougar

s that “English” enough for you?

Absolutely (-:

Is any of this really that annoying? Really?

“Annoying” is probably the wrong word. Irritating? Frustrating?

Not specifically, no.

Fair do’s.

Northwind

“Different tact” has an irrationally massive effect on me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair do’s.

Stoppit

donsimon
    Free Member

The word “no” being used as a question tag. OK in Spanish, not OK in English!

GrahamS

Affect / effect is another. Two wildly different words that I’ve never, ever had a problem with confusing, or even known that anyone else did, up until the Internet

I’ll put my hand up to that one. I struggle with these.

OED simplify it like this:
    affect is “to influence or make a difference to”,
    effect is “to bring something about as a result”.

which are fairly similar definitions.

And then you get into all the other definitions:

affect v.
    have an effect on; make a difference to
    touch the feelings of; move emotionally
    pretend to have or feel (something)
    use, wear, or assume (something) pretentiously or so as to make an impression on others
    emotion or desire as influencing behaviour.

effect v.
    cause (something) to happen; bring about

effect n.
    a change which is a result or consequence of an action or other cause
    an impression produced in the mind of a person
    the lighting, sound, or scenery used in a play, film, or broadcast
    personal belongings

In effect, you may effectively affect affection for effect. To the effect that I am affected. But that effect does not affect my effects.

I think.

thejesmonddingo

I got lost on the first page,as I think I grow potatoes,but according to saxonrider I cultivate or nurture them.Where did the language go wrong?
    Ian

Cougar

I got lost on the first page,as I think I grow potatoes,but according to saxonrider I cultivate or nurture them.Where did the language go wrong?

Your problem is, you’re stuck in a rut.

Cougar

In effect, you may effectively affect affection for effect. To the effect that I am affected. But that effect does not affect my effects.

*applauds*

The word “no” being used as a question tag. OK in Spanish, not OK in English!

It’s ok in some situations, n’est-ce pas?

thejesmonddingo

Cougar,I’m not convinced by your comma in that sentence.
    Ian

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s ok in some situations, n’est-ce pas?

When?

thejesmonddingo

I suspect that the rate of change of English usage,and hence grammar,is catching you out.Just because you don’t like a usage or construction,doesn’t mean it’s wrong.The great strength of English as a language is its flexibility,and this includes the ability to absorb not only vocabulary,but also structure.Moan on,it amuses the rest of us greatly.
    Ian

donsimon
    Free Member

I suspect that the rate of change of English usage,and hence grammar,is catching you out.Just because you don’t like a usage or construction,doesn’t mean it’s wrong.The great strength of English as a language is its flexibility,and this includes the ability to absorb not only vocabulary,but also structure.Moan on,it amuses the rest of us greatly.

And a great excuse when the grammar isn’t used correctly, no?

thejesmonddingo

Si ,mon brave.
    Ian

thejesmonddingo

Grammarians seem to have lost sight of the essential function of language,which AFAAIK is to clearly transmit information between people.If this is successfully managed by using “foreign” usage,then as long as the transmission of information is successful,who cares.
    Ian
    P.S. Just because you don’t like it,doesn’t make it wrong,and I’m still growing potatoes,like the rest of the normal people.

donsimon
    Free Member

You are Dr Zamenhof and I claim my 5,00€!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Incorrect uses of the English language – what really gets under your skin?’ is closed to new replies.