Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Incorrect Tyre Weights
  • m_t_b
    Free Member

I know it varies but isn't 180g a bit of a pis take? Next day tyres have UST 2.1 Kenda SB8's at 720g, I weighed it on arrival and the monster of a thing is 900g. I know I can probably get away with less sealant but the extra weight is a killer as I bought these to go faster than my current tyres but now Im adding 200g of weight… 🙁 it sucks why dont shops be more accurate – it says on the packaging 805 +/- 60g.

johnners
    Free Member

Well, I don't know how accurate your scales are but it's a big difference and your buying decision was based on incorrect info supplied by the shop. They should have told you the weight range as advised by the manufacturer, not the lightest they could be based on that range.

Return it, distance selling regs let you do it anyway regardless of any other issues.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I think I will, bit annoyed that I have to pay to send back and sort as they cant accurately relate whats written on the packaging, weight is a crucial factor with tyres and should be relayed as accurately as poss. Not nit picking just making a point.

Taff
    Free Member

There's a website that gives all the actual weighs of the tyres. Bought two fire xc pros and both weigh differently to each other and neither are the same as the weight on the tin

m_t_b
    Free Member

I guess its by how much, +/- 60 is ok with me +180 is not.

D0NK

AFAIK every component varies in weight, if a proper weight weenie wants an XT mech they'll take their scales into the shop and weight all the XT mechs the shop have in stock and buy the lightest one. Tyres seem to have a bigger range than most tho. Oh and I wouldn't trust your own scales – I do weigh stuff but only to compare one with another eg my ust minion is about 150g heavier than the non ust version, I wouldn't trust the actual weight to be accurate tho.
    I never believe weights posted on manufacturers or retailers website unless they say they have personally weighed several versions themselves. like here
    Your best bet tho is weightweenies or for tyres shiggys

m_t_b
    Free Member

Thanks for info, I have checked lots of other tyres on same scales and they came out as advertised within 50g or so, I think the scales are ok, they are digital to nearest gram.

D0NK

they are digital to nearest gram.

sorry just to be pedantic, it doesnt matter if they display "720.234921g", unless they've been calibrated they could be 200grammes out.

Pity, I was thinking about one of these tyres but they sound rather lardy.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Almost a kg for a tyre?!!!

**** that!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Strange for Kenda to publish incorrect weights, every one I've had has been less than quoted…

m_t_b
    Free Member

The scales show correct weights for other tyres so like I said I think they are ok I just weighed an aspen mud x and a couple of others and the weights were correct. The issue is not with kenda but with next day for not listing weight correctly. I think I am going to get standard sb8 and use sealant that should come out 250g lighter, I think…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

This thread reads like something from 1994. People will be drilling holes in crank arms next to save weight!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Hardly over half a pound of weight on a tire should be of concern to anyone 😉

njee20
    Free Member

The issue is not with kenda but with next day for not listing weight correctly.

But Kenda claim 805 +/- 60g, but yours is 95g over, so actually Kenda are at fault too. Did you order 2? What does the other one weigh?

I'd send them back if the weight was a factor in your buying.

D0NK

Hardly over half a pound of weight on a tire should be of concern to anyone

true, specially with tyres, sufficient grip is most important but weight is a very close second.

m_t_b
    Free Member

True I guess Kenda are at fault too I only bought one and its going back, looking at this tyre I dont know about my Nevegal front SB8 rear combo anymore, might just go with a 2.35 nev on front and 2.1 nev on rear bit more 3 season proof.

br
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud's, says 500g on the packet, both I bought weighed 580g.

So they are consistant, but wrong/lying.

If they are going to 'detail' the weight, at least be truthful.

About the only tyres I've ever bought that were within 10% of stated weight have been Schwalbe's.

Edric64
    Free Member

You weigh components? 🙄

jahwomble
    Free Member

Suck all the air out and weigh them again.

the-muffin-man

You weigh components?

I do – nothing new goes on my bike unless its lighter than the old kit coming off!!

🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Does the rider get lighter every ride as well though? 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

Shops are notorious for lifting the wrong info from manufacturers sites. The worst two are Continental and Schwalbe well not them as such, but because they make a tyre in several compounds you'll often see the cheaper versions with the dearer specs against them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I do – nothing new goes on my bike unless its lighter than the old kit coming off!!

Errmmm – I do that too…are we ill?

m_t_b
    Free Member

No its just bike OCD

trail_rat
    Free Member

my non ust 2.1 SB8s work fine tubeless and are only 520g each ….. i wouldnt entertain a tire at nearly a kg on my bike hell i had tubeless downhill tires in 2.5 that weighed that much !

devs
    Free Member

I sometimes run a 2.5 UST HR which weighs 1.3Kg. Now that is character building when you're out with jey boy whippets. Trouble is the feckers still beat me downhill too!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Next day are sorting me out so credit to them. All's well that ends well 🙂

kamina
    Free Member

Got a Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 UST which should weigh 1050g. I put it on a scale and it was just a tad under 1200g! I gave it to a friend since I did not want such a heavy tire on my bike.

I then ordered a set of non-UST RQ's which weighed spot on 850g like advertised. however a friend was just building a new bike and ran out of money before he got tires so I gave them to him and ordered a new set for myself. The new ones weighed 960g each. 😀

I'm used to accepting a 1€/g price for losing weight on components, and in that regard gaining 220g is a huge hit. Not that I would really notice it on my Uzzi (I did mount the heavier tires)…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Incorrect Tyre Weights’ is closed to new replies.