Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Incorrect and dodgy similies (one for the pedants)
  • aracer
    Free Member

In the book I’m currently reading:

The basement club was as well ventilated as the inside of a jet engine

Reading on, it’s clear the author makes this comment because the club was very hot presumably due to poor ventilation – the inside of a jet engine is hot, but very well ventilated.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s a shocking simile.

I hope you’re not going to read any more of the book.

sweepy
    Free Member

What about that song that goes ‘I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain’
    Do deserts miss rain? surely if they got rain they wouldn’t be deserts.

user-removed
    Free Member

“Quantum Leap” when used to describe a massive change in situation / way of thinking. It’s all about tiny wee stuff isn’t it?

I actually read the thread title as “Incorrect and dodgy smilies”, as in emoticons, so don’t listen to me 8)

Pook

Oh boy.

Drac

It rains in most deserts at sometime, hence the corny line.

atlaz
    Free Member

My favourite one which is bizarre was the description in a newspaper describing a specific player on a baseball team as “fitting in like a pork chop on a wedding cake”

ononeorange

The Atacama desert is the driest place in the world allegedly, where some areas have had no recorded rainfall, and there is evidence that there was no rain between 1570 to 1971.

So that proves Drac’s point – even there, there is some rain, but you just need to consider the time period. So I suppose – given that caveat – Tracy and Ben were right in their line.

But the OP’s example is truly horrendous and meaningless. Agree that you should have put it down there and then and backed away slowly.

xcgb
    Free Member

I was expecting sone inappropriate smilies! 😳 😛 8)

clubber
    Free Member

“Quantum Leap” when used to describe a massive change in situation / way of thinking. It’s all about tiny wee stuff isn’t it?

The size is irrelevant. Quantum refers to a discrete quantity that cannot (is not) continuous – eg how many bikes you have rather than how much water you carry on a ride (yes, I know we talk about having partial bikes 🙂 )

Quantum leap suggests a step change rather than a gradual one.

IHN

What about Toto’s soft-rock anthem ‘Africa’, with the classic line

“Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti”

So a mountain rises like, well, another mountain. Great simile, good work fellas.

wwaswas

Carole Similie, earlier;

wisepranker
    Free Member

‘Went down like a lead balloon’

What, so it went down really well then?

clubber
    Free Member

No, everyone knows that heavier things fall faster 🙄

derekrides
    Free Member

I’ve always been genuinely concerned about Otters and their ‘pocket’

“Wet as an otters pocket” has to be a Northern thing, one does wonder how Northern folk find stuff like this out, then again it could be the Cornish they aint all there either..

Then ‘Mad as a bag of frogs?’

Who does stuff like this?

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy uses “Wetter than an Otters pocket”

I asked her how she knew..

Do Otters have pockets? Do they wear twed whilst out in the hills and valleys, possibly a deerstalker too.. and Hunters.. but they’re a bit chavlike.. Dunlops then, yeah they’re better.

IA

I always thought, surely if anything has a waterproof pocket, it’d be an otter. Keep it’s stuff dry.

thebunk

The basement club was as well ventilated as the inside of a jet engine

Name and shame…

wrecker
    Free Member

Smart as a carrot.
    Job’s a fish.
    Like a wizards sleeve.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Smells fishier than a mermaid’s ****

It rains in most deserts at sometime, hence the corny line.

Yeah and then when it does rain, life blooms! I saw it on David Attenborough

whytetrash

Flatter than a witches tit…..

derekrides….box of frogs…was an old blackadder one?

Dull as my arse….rough as a bears arse….cheers for those grandad 😆

Father in law uses “thicker than a Ghurkas foreskin”…frightened to ask why 😯

v8ninety

“Cheryl’s mind turned like the vanes of a wind-powered turbine, chopping her sparrow-like thoughts into bloody pieces that fell onto a growing pile of forgotten memories.”

Ok, so it is intentionally bad, but still brilliant. There’s actually competitions to see who can write the worst;

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

v8ninety

And sorry if it’s slightly OT, but I’ve ever really understood ‘it would be cheap at half the price’. Well yeah, but it isn’t half the price is it?

konabunny
    Free Member

What about that song that goes ‘I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain’ Do deserts miss rain? surely if they got rain they wouldn’t be deserts.

If they had a lot of rain, they probably wouldn’t be deserts.

The song is about an intense friendship or love affair that ended some time ago but is still fondly recalled despite the passage of time. Rain in the desert is relatively unusual but often intense and produces a significant change in the appearance/smell/feeling of the flora and fauna that around to experience it. The simile is apposite.

It still sounds clunky, though.

As an aside, if there was ever a band that tried harder to shun success than EBTG, I’m not sure I’ve heard of them. They alienated their original fan base by getting into electronica and adopting D&B sounds, and they alienated their new-found audience by waiting ages before the next release, didn’t bother updating their website, having a dispute with their old label which led to them slagging off their own greatest hits releases and eventually just not bothering to tell anyone they’d probably split up. And for that I quite respect them…

AlexSimon

Oh boy.

I got it pook – even if nobody else did.

mudshark
    Free Member

No, everyone knows that heavier things fall faster

So you do or do not think that lead balloons fall faster than rubbery ones you’ve inflated with air?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

As an aside, if there was ever a band that tried harder to shun success than EBTG, I’m not sure I’ve heard of them.

That just shows how hard they’ve tried!

But actually if you like EBTG, you might try Eg and Alice

in fact, have this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/24-Years-Hunger-Eg-Alice/dp/B000006YFD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322051271&sr=8-1

rugbydick

[pedantry] Many of the later examples are metaphors not similies…[/pedantry]

[Further pedantry] And a desert is usually described in terms of a moisture deficit; i.e. more moisture can potentially be lost (through drainage, evaporation) than gained (through precipitation). There are some “deserts” where they actually have quite a lot of rain. [/Further pedantry]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Poor writing by a professional writers is inexcusable but increasingly common.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely they’re only professional writers if people read their stuff ? In which case, they are excused.

edlong
    Free Member

How can this be one for the pedants, yet no one’s pointed out that the plural of simile is “similes” ???

Standards today…..

cheese@4p

Dont just sit there like me.

clubber
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

No, everyone knows that heavier things fall faster

So you do or do not think that lead balloons fall faster than rubbery ones you’ve inflated with air?

I just knew that someone would get all physics geek 🙂 I’m well aware of the correct answer. 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

Oh boy.

I got it pook – even if nobody else did.

Please explain

Cougar

And sorry if it’s slightly OT, but I’ve ever really understood ‘it would be cheap at half the price’. Well yeah, but it isn’t half the price is it?

Because the correct phrase is “cheap at twice the price,” only it’s being spoken by gibbons. See also, “I could care less.”

Please explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap_%28TV_series%29

cynic-al
    Free Member

“near miss” is another.

I’m going to start a campaign…

nedrapier

He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark, his bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary’s body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions: on top, doggy, and normal. Exhausted, they collapsed on to the recently extended sofa bed. Then a hellbeast ate them.

Garth Marenghi

vinnyeh

slightly OT but…

any superlative followed by ‘unique’ really gets my goat.

As does the now common usage of ‘exception proves the rule’ when any fool knows that the ‘prove’ in this case refers to testing, not providing proof.

failedengineer

‘Sweating like a badger in a sack’ is fairly unpleasant.

molgrips
    Free Member

Near miss is okay. It was a miss, but the two parties were very near to each other. Simple.

And deserts miss rain. The rain mostly goes somewhere else, hence they miss it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Incorrect and dodgy similies (one for the pedants)’ is closed to new replies.