Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Inconsiderate parking
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

a whist drive

You sick, twisted man. Tee shirt ordered.

cheers_drive

In the OPs photo the cars further down that are presumably sticking out the end of the drive are completely blocking the path by the look of it. They’re not your cars are they OP?
    I can see how its annoying if it’s outside your house but if there is enough room to get a wheelchair / pushchair past is it really a issue? Would it be an issue if it was a Golf and not a Transit van? The BMW in the other photo is much worse, I would report that.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Wow, that filled up quickly!
    OK, some answers and a bit more background.

Was he driving across the corner of your grass verge too?

No

At risk of a flaming here, but what are you upset about ? The van being parked on the pavement or because it’s outside your house ? I.e if he was parked like this further up the road , would you still be upset about it ?

Because it’s my house, obvs.

If the van was completely on the road what room would there be for cars?

Yes.

How wide is the road?

Wide enough.

I live in a medium sized village, not a town, 1 pub, 1 shop, a primary school. My house is next door to the village hall and opposite the school, it is the hall carpark overflowing that you can see just beyond the white van.
    The hall isn’t used every night of the week but is used regularly on Sundays and Tuesdays and this is when the parking is annoying. This van isn’t the only offender, there are frequently 3 or 4 parked like this.
    Before I challenge anyone or speak to the hall committee I wanted to know what the law says about such parking AND see if others agree it is inconsiderate.

Thanks for your input, especially the amusing ones. Have the kettles boiled yet? 😀

revs1972
    Free Member

So….. if the van was parked fully on the road….outside your house ….then you wouldn’t have a problem ?

redthunder
    Free Member

Although parking is generally permitted at the side of the road, except where there are restrictions or a specific offence has been committed, driving actually onto the pavement or footway (to park or otherwise) is an offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 (see also section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act

surfer
    Free Member

Huh why is this a question. If there’s no room in the road to park….You park else where not o. The bloody pavement .

I agree with you TR but IMO there is a sliding scale of idiocy on this. If the road is narrow and people put 2 wheels on a kerb and this allows pedestrians to pass that is slightly acceptable in my book but you are right if they need to block a walkway causing an inconvenience then there is no place in Hell hot enough. Its really those that see pavements as private parking spaces that wind me up, blocking them totally or parking on them when the road is wide etc.

I tend to take the shopping trolley approach as above but use my elbows as I run past, often get several in a row.

bob_summers

My dad’s street has cars pavement-parked nose to tail all the way down on both sides, meaning anyone with a pushchair or wheelchair has to walk down the road, and all the paving slabs are broken and loose. When I was growing up there, each house had one car if at all – now with many houses split into flats, both partners having a car plus their grown-up kids… not sure what you can do about that.

Cougar

Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit him hard and hit him fast with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign,

I think we’re losing sight of the real issue here, which is, what are we going to call ourselves?

Because it’s my house, obvs.

The space outside your house is a public road, you don’t own it. They’re entitled to park there. Object to the pavement parking by all means, but if this is your primary objection you’re going to get a STW Self Righteous Mauling™.

Although parking is generally permitted at the side of the road, except where there are restrictions or a specific offence has been committed, driving actually onto the pavement or footway (to park or otherwise) is an offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 (see also section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act

Why does London have a specific bylaw prohibiting parking on the kerb / footpath if it’s already illegal, then?

Dickyboy

If people with pushchairs/wheelchairs/mobility scooters can’t get past just report it to non emergency police number to deal with – or knock on people’s door with a polite request – go equipped with a blow torch….

bruceonabike
    Free Member

revs1972 – Member
    So….. if the van was parked fully on the road….outside your house ….then you wouldn’t have a problem ?

Well it would be annoying but nothing I can do, I’ve parked outside other people’s houses many times but I don’t block the pavement. The fact it is a commercial vehicle rather than a car is also a source of annoyance but nothing I can do about that.

globalti
    Free Member

My late sister used a mobility scooter and whenever she found cars parked on the pavement she used to take great delight in scraping all along their nearsides while muttering “Serves ’em effin’ right!” I used to cringe and pretend I wasn’t with her. Poor girl didn’t have much joy in her life.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My neighbours across the road, who have a driveway that fits 3 cars regularly, at least 3 times a week, park their car part on the pavement and part on the road opposite our driveway. The driveways are staggered so our drive faces the front of their house and their driveway is down a bit opposite the neighbours house.

We have a driveway that’s fits 2 cars side by side, when they park their car opposite our drive it makes it a total pain to get the car in the 2nd space in the drive, as to get in first time you need to swing in from as close to the nearside kerb as possible, with their car there we can’t do this.

Our son has also recently passed his driving test and having a car opposite the drive isn’t the best idea when he’s not used to reversing up a sloping drive.

To me its a monumentally stupid place to park, just use your **** driveway for **** sake you inconsiderate ****.

Cougar

I park partially on the pavement at home (not blocking anything, it’s a wide pavement and you could easily get a double width buggy past).

I avoided doing it for, oh, a quarter of a century despite everyone else doing so as it didn’t seem really necessary and I didn’t agree with it. Then last year there was an accident on my street which bounced into the side of my car; had I not have been stuck out a foot further than everyone else they’d probably have missed me. I started parking like everyone else after that.

Not that it did me any good. I came out to go to work a couple of weeks ago to find that someone had taken the side of my car off overnight. Judging by the damage I’m guessing a truck had misjudged it, looked like someone had gone at it with a can-opener. I had to use a claw hammer to dig out the bodywork so that it could be moved onto a low-loader. (If you ever have to do this, wear gloves, torn metal is sharp. By the time I’d finished my hands looked like I’d been juggling kittens.)

Bunnyhop

I realise that this issue is a serious one for the op., however I have really cried laughing at flashy’s ‘whist drive, carboot sale etc’ post. 😀

The answer is to have a friendly word. Some people honestly have no idea they are inconsiderate, selfish and breaking the law.

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/BHJxIwvFIGY[/video]

Cougar

I realise that this issue is a serious one for the op., however I have really cried laughing at flashy’s ‘whist drive, carboot sale etc’ post

It’s from Red Dwarf’s “Polymorph.” An alien removes emotions from the crew. The full scene is here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgUktfdDy4[/video]

grenosteve
    Free Member

If people hate cars being parked everywhere, then maybe you should all stop buying freaking cars! 😛

sobriety
    Free Member

Our son has also recently passed his driving test and having a car opposite the drive isn’t the best idea when he’s not used to reversing up a sloping drive.

Send son over to neighbours asking them to not park there as he’s a new driver and worried he’ll reverse into them?

It’s what I did when my neighbours started doing that, except replace ‘son’ with ‘me’ and ‘new driver’ with ‘crap driver’, did the trick.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Inconsiderate parking’ is closed to new replies.