Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Inconsiderate parking
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Is parking like this legal? What can I do to get the repeat offender to stop without a confrontation? He knows where I live as it’s right outside my house.

martinhutch

Nope. He’s blocking the pavement. You could ask the local authority to send traffic wardens on patrol down there if it’s a regular thing – doesn’t necessarily have to look like you’ve done it.

matt_outandabout

Kettles on.

kayak23

Was he driving across the corner of your grass verge too?

allthepies
    Free Member

Post it up on parked like a c-bomb .com

PiknMix
    Free Member

What can I do to get the repeat offender to stop without a confrontation

Talk to him politely?

funkmasterp

I feel your pain. We have a large footpath right outside our door that people think is a parking space. This is despite the fact that it’s a footpath and there are double yellow lines on the road. The council have been utterly useless when approached.

I either accidently hit the vehicle with my bike whilst trying to get it in or out of the house. Works best if they are sat in the car at the time.

Sit on the bonnet as they’ve provided me with useful seating.

If, like last night, some utter cockwomble is sat with the engine running, music blaring, listening to the football, conducting a hands-free conversation (delete as applicable). I sneak around the side of my house come up from behind and bang on the window loudly.

The rotund fella listening to the football last night almost died of shock. When I calmly explained he was less than a foot from my house, directly under my kids bedroom he looked sheepish. I then asked him if he thought listening to the game whilst illegally parked that close to my house was reasonable. He muttered something and drove off.

I think you’ll find being reasonable doesn’t really work on people who do this sort of thing. Shock and shame or making a hash of getting around the badly parked vehicle are the way forward 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kettles on.

What are they on?

(Getting the pedantry in early)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Will a shopping trolley fit past in the gap between the wall and the van??
    Give it a good run up with a trolley.
    If you get wedged between the van and the wall then yes.. thats very inconsiderate parking. If it makes it through with just a few big scrapes down the side of the van then its only quite inconsiderate parking.

funkmasterp

Cloudnine, you have my respect sir (or madame). I’m going to add ‘getting shopping trolley in and out of house’ to my list!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Highway obstruction which is a police matter, not one for local civil enforcement officers. You may however, struggle to convince the police of this as most assume that the local authority do all parking matters and their own policies may still make them very resistant to attending.

Local authority need a traffic regulation order to enforce against or, depending on the authority, may issue a pcn against an obstructed dropped kerb with the owners countersigning their notebook. It doesn’t look like either of those apply.

One for the non emergency number and be prepared to press the issue if you want any action.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Talk to him politely

Lol, yeah, cos yer average white van man will be utterly thrilled and delighted to listen to your concerns!…. 😆

Merak

Potato in the exhaust, works for me every time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Funkmasterp, feel free to remind the local authority that they have the powers to enforce the “no waiting at anytime” tro (double yellow lines) which apply from the centre of the carriageway to the back of the footway.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fit some bar ends.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Talk to him politely

The time for talking is over. Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit him hard and hit him fast with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign, and while he’s reeling from that, we’d follow up with a whist drive, a car boot sale, some street theatre and possibly even some benefit concerts. OK?

Now, if that’s not enough, I’m sorry, it’s time for the T-shirts

teasel
    Free Member

Who’s that dick on this forum who smacks cars with his door if they park too close…?

Him. You need him…The Car Equalizer. Small Woodwood or something…

NZCol

We live on a very narrow windy street, it’s double yellowed all the way mainly to allow passage for emergency vehicles if required. The church at the bottom of the hill has a congregation that is clearly colour blind and who enjoy parking all over the place. Several cars clipped recently and irate people at my door asking if I saw it, Xmas is always special. People running late for carol concerts are my personal fave. One parked last year so badly there was no way past. Unless you are a angry white courier van, I heard that one ! I was accused of seeing it which was an interesting conversation. The sense of entitlement was epic. My neighbour had someone across his driveway, the vicar had to find out who it was as he needed out – he’s a surgeon and was on call !!!
    Anyway, p1sses me off, not too much but irritating.

funkmasterp

Onzadog – would providing photos to them be of any use. We’ve actually considered moving, offering to buy part of the path or pay for posts / bollards putting up. Depending on what mood I’m in its either an opportunity for devilment or a serious annoyance.

Sorry for the hijack op

I was accused of seeing it

How dare you have functioning vision! 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Like others have said, it’s a footpath so parking on it is illegal.

However, getting someone to enforce it might be tricky as the problem is just so common. It doesn’t look as though he’s left enough room for a pushchair, etc so dangerous and inconsiderate as well as illegal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the reality is these days in many areas it difficult /impossible to park all the cars legally

IN this scenario whatever you do [ bar physical barrier] someone will park on the pavement

The only time i ever said anything was when my neighbour parked a massive van outside my window as it blocked the light when he parked it in front of his

Yes its annoying but i think we ll best just get used to it

FWIW i think I am the only one in my street who never does it as we can park two streets away which is as much as a 45 second walk away

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Get his mobile number and write “I love bum fun” along with the number on the back. Or sprinkle the roof and bonnet with bread. Bird poo all over it.. 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

You have two options. One, ask him to move, if he gets confrontational then square up to him and be prepared to escalate things quickly. Two, ignore it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Kettles on.
    What are they on?

excellent STW ped post there, I’ll add a minimum STW requirement ‘kettle’s on’, or find another forum to frequent please.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on ‘inconsiderate parking’
    What about the absolute arsewomble of a Chelsea Tractor driver who parked his shiny, spotless, fat wheeled Range Rover in 2 bays at a recent concert at The Sage in Gateshead?
    He may or may not have been worth a bob or 3 but I bet he didn’t pay for 2 tickets! If i could’ve got nearer I would’ve smashed my doors off his. (not really but, ya know)
    See You Next Tuesday!

Merak

Door smashing is the future.

CountZero

People regularly park with two wheels on the path down my road, but the dick with the Beemer, and it just had to be a Beemer, and the sense of entitlement with its own postcode who parked like this just took the sodding biscuit!

👿
    Just noticed the bloody van half on the path on the opposite side of the road!

tails
    Free Member

The two vehicles behind the van look like they are blocking the path as well. How wide is the road?

The second photo with the BMW has no excuse.

I used to live in a permit parking area where the council had issued over 600 permits with only around 450 spaces. The nearest street for me was narrow enough that the cars on one side had to park partially on the pavement which was not very wide itself. I’ve still got a scratch on my wing from when someone took umbrage. Luckily it wasn’t much of a thoroughfare or I think my car would be like an art piece.

Potato in the exhaust, works for me every time.

What does that actually do?

matt_outandabout

What are they on?

The power base it came with?

thegreatape
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Kettles on.

What are they on?

(Getting the pedantry in early)

Pedantry fail. Matt is an instructor by trade and therefore quite entitled to instruct forum members to switch their kettles on so we’ve all got a cup of tea while settling down to watch the thread unfold.

revs1972
    Free Member

Is parking like this legal? What can I do to get the repeat offender to stop without a confrontation? He knows where I live as it’s right outside my house.

At risk of a flaming here, but what are you upset about ? The van being parked on the pavement or because it’s outside your house ? I.e if he was parked like this further up the road , would you still be upset about it ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I used to live on a road that if you parked like that more than once you’d be buying 4 new tires….

I never had to cause I’m nae a **** but saw several irate folks on a Sunday morning . Vigalante justice certainly seemed to sort it out quickly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Matt is an instructor by trade and therefore quite entitled to instruct forum members to switch their kettles on

Surely that sort of stentorian tone is more sergeant major than instructor?

falkirk-mark

Where I take the dog a walk nearly everyone parks halfway up the pavement (only is pavement on one side of the road) but when there are cars coming in opposite directions one car still has to stop as the road is not wide enough for 2 cars to pass , which begs the question why.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Read the complete works of Lee Child on completion become Jack Reacher, leave home and get on a bus to anywhere, get of at somewhere and mooch about, find a cheap hotel, get burger and chips and mooch about some more, find some disagreeable local oafs and leather them. Once you are happy that you are now a cool silent steely eyed malevolent dealer of justice return home and confront the parking knob, give him the option to change his parking habits or suffer the inevitable.
    Let us know how you get on.

ctk
    Free Member

If the van was completely on the road what room would there be for cars?

tjagain

unfortunatly outside of london pavement parking is not an offense unless causing an obstruction.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If the van was completely on the road what room would there be for cars?

Huh why is this a question. If there’s no room in the road to park….You park else where not o. The bloody pavement .

nickewen
    Free Member

It absolutely boils my piss too. I’ll have to get a photo of this absolutely tosser in me mates street and his work van.. it’s making my angry just writing this and I don’t even live there! Basically think of that Beemer on the previous page but the path is a foot narrower. I don’t know what he thinks will happen to his precious van if he parks it reasonably, the dickhead. I can’t even get started on the prize theobber round the corner running a business from his house.. 3 vans and a pickup with lads coming to get them in the morning and leaving their cars littered about all day. Cheeky bar steward.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Surely that sort of stentorian tone is more sergeant major than instructor?

Dunno, I don’t pay attention to anyone who tells me what to do, so I’m not too clued up on that sort of thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Inconsiderate parking’ is closed to new replies.